Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Radius Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pan-dragger, Sep 22, 2008.

1. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

anyone used American Roadster radius rods, or the Fatman Fab ones advertised in the magazines?

2. I have yet to see a set in person. They are pretty new and a tad expensive. I'm sure they are nice. But I have never had any trouble finding stockers at reasonable prices. The old Ford stuff is not perfect. But, unless you are going for full chrome, I would have trouble justifying the expense.

IMHO the ones these guys make with the tie rod pass through just don't look right at all.

http://www.hotrodwishbones.com/

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  3. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Pan dragger,
    I am going to really sound braggy here but I think that the radius rods I made from a set of 46 rods are about as neat as anything that you can buy and they are easy to make. The 46 rods have the spring mounted in front of the axle and they have a kick up in them that provides clearance for the steering link between the wheels. I cut the axle "clamp" of the rods and then cut the spring mount off and using my "high tech" 12 inch fixed disc grinder I radiused the ends to match. I then cut the radius rod just a little bit infront of the place that it turns up to clear the steering link. I then set flipped the axle "clamp" so that the heavy part was on the bottom and mounted them to my axle, is set it at 7 degrees of caster, and made the angle of the "clamp" match the radius rod when I mached it up to fit where I wanted the rod end to mount on my frame. Sounds some what confusing but I did everything with a torch and a grinder! got the joint to fit together good and added some metal with my TIG. I think they look really good and cost me zip as my neighbor gave me the 46 radius rods! I have attache some pics to you can see,

Rex

Attached Files:

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Rex,
    Interesting... looks like a lot of old modified stock car racers I've seen. Gary

5. Is there a gusset under that shackle pivot? I'm a littlr concerned on the downward force of just that buttweld, unless there is something I'm not seeing.

6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Just a comment on the round tubing mount. The bones are about 3/16 of an inch thick so you could have bored a hole through them, inserted the tube, welded both sides and the mount would have been much stronger. As suggested above, a gusset would be helpful in increasing the strength of the spring mount as shown. The bones look great on the car. Good luck!

7. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

lookin good rex, i'd agree they look nice. but i'm lookin for chrome bones in the end, and hopefully someone here has had experience with the new repo bones.

8. Awesome, Just the other day I was looking at a '46 Merc wishbone I have out back and wandering if I couldn't do just that with them. Looks good.

9. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

bttt for the weekend crowd

10. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

really, no one here has ever used these? amazing.