Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Quickchange Parts for Old Style Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GearheadsQCE, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Bump for a good deal

Desmodromic, loudbang and ls1yj like this.
  2. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx Chris,

I was just thinking about this again, yesterday.

loudbang likes this.
  3. No worries Bruce,they are safe here mate.,I would of thought someone down here or even NZ would have been interested.Lovely plates they are too!

loudbang likes this.
  4. not to side track this post, but I got a big bell QC under my current project setup with a spool. I don't want a spool on the street, looking for options for a posi type center? not really interested in a locker. Any good options out there?

loudbang likes this.
  5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

There are several options. You can get some additional info here:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/quick-change-quickchange.951136/

Can you be a little more specific on your QC? Maybe a picture or two. Depends on what you have as to what you need, and if it needs to be modified.
    12 spline or 31?
    Floater axles?
    Width of Center section?
    Manufacturer of center and side bells?
    New or used?

loudbang likes this.
  6. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Allen head shoulder bolts with the heads turned down for the drive pins ?

7. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

@GearheadsQCE, I may be able to get a good deal on the Frankland quickchange center section in the pictures below. I have a 1940 Ford banjo rear end that I would like to convert to a quickchange using this center section and the adapter plates discussed in this thread. With the adapter plates, will I be able to use the original Ford banjo trumpets and original Ford banjo internals with this center section? Are there any modifications that I may need to make? Any help would be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks

Brad

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Brad,
    You can use the '40 trumpets but not the guts of the banjo. The ends will need to be converted to push in style bearings. If you are thinking of using the original spring perches, be advised that they will be about 5" further apart than they are mounted on the banjo.

The differential shown in the photo is the original 3/4 ton unit from a truck. Unfortunately it is too wide, and can't be narrowed to work with your combination. It is likely that the spiders are welded, too. What you need is a Tru-Trac style differential narrowed to fit.

The other thing to be aware of and not shown in the photos is that the pinion nose bearing support is prone to cracking, normally on the side (left) not shown.

If I haven't scared you off yet, send me a personal conversation and I will work with you. I don't like to conduct business on the public forum.

Bruce

9. Bump for a good deal,these are quality plates to to build a good looking QC using 40s bells.

ls1yj, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. nobby

nobby

anyone made a centre utilising an 8.8'' ford posi unit?
    I think I get it, the ring and pinion fand diff from the early truck has a coarse splined pinion
    the 'changeable gears - only available in this spline
    so is the jack shaft
    ahh
    so if I were to buy a frankland centre and bells with no innards, id'd need the early truck differential.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  11. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Nobby,

I have never seen a 8.8" differential, and I don't think that they would easily adapted for a Champ QC. But, there are numerous limited slip differentials for the 3/4 ton Quickchange.

The old 12 spline axles are obsolete. Everything is 31 spline now, same configuration as Ford 9" stuff.

If you would happen to find an old Ford differential, you can replace the side gears with 31 spline. But, this would not be a 'Posi'.

The lower Shaft and pinion are 10 Spline same as Ford 3/4 ton truck 1928-1952. This enables the change gears to be swapped top and bottom to give two ratios per gear set.

All this fits a Frankland.

loudbang likes this.
  12. nobby

nobby

I think I now understand
    the ring and its pinion - the pinion needs to be 10 splined, because the changeable gears have the inner splines @10
    either straight cut or helical.
    the crown wheel has to then fit the diff - early 3/4 tonne truck, in order to use the ugly bells, or an aftermarket diff
    based on the bolt pattern of the crown wheel, and spigot/register...

what I was thinking was possible was this....
    find two 8.8'' ford explorer rear ends - do what the mustang crowd do and utilise the two shorter half shafts = 56''
    by cutting and re-inserting the axle tubes in the cast diff housing
    use the stock brakes - not very trad..
    these are c-clip axles
    I was thinking it was possible to do this in a quick change housing, utilising the 8.8'' fords stock posi -31 splined c-clip shafts - I now realise there is no change of re-fitting the c-clips
    the tubes are 3'' = squeeze then into the ugly bells
    run the stock pinion - 30 splines
    that's where it has fallen foul as there are no 30 internal splined gears, and no jack /quill shaft at 30 splines, to then use the stock pinion yoke 30 splined.
    so you'd need to totally re-engineer the quick change housing and bells, make gears and quill shaft - no go.
    [​IMG]
    press fit tubes
    [​IMG]
    stock posi

loudbang likes this.
  13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Add to that:
    The QC stuff has the pinion on the centerline of the ring gear. The 8.8 has a hypoid gear set.

loudbang and gimpyshotrods like this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quickchange ring and pinion:
    [​IMG]
    Hypoid ring and pinion (depth below center line varies by model):
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  15. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx Gimpy,

I believe the QC R&P is called a 'beveled' gear set. Is that correct?

loudbang likes this.
  16. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

17. Dave Martinez

Dave Martinez
    from California

Do you still have a set of these for a halibrand 301?

18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Yessir,

Both 11 and 12 bolt configurations

PM sent!

19. High test 63

High test 63

IMG_20200712_104340894.jpg IMG_20200712_104249926.jpg y IMG_20200712_104206343.jpg QCE, here's what i have. Will be hunting for 9" brakes and axels and bearing ends, i need adapters and some type of affordable LSD and a bunch of technical advise. I want to use a more conventional rear cover. The pinion support has been welded , how much of an issue is that?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

High Test,
    If you are planning to get used backing plates and brakes, be sure to measure the offset between the end of the axle tube and the face of the axle flange. There are several variations.
    With the 3 3/4" wide center section you need a TruTrac or Platinum Track differential. The other styles cannot be narrowed enough to work with the adapter side plates.
    As far as the welded pinion nose support, it depends on how good the welder and subsequent machining was. If you can see the original crack inside the bearing bore, it will crack again.
    I have rear covers, differentials and housing ends.

You can save some money by using the wide 5 hubs. There are 1/2 studs available to use original Ford wheels. Be sure to check the axle tubes for straightness.

Bruce

Bruce

High test 63 likes this.
  21. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Now that you have the rear end covered, how about the front? How about new spuds that bolt to early Ford spindles and accept modern light weight hubs?

22. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Are the 31 spline GN splines the same as the 9-inch Ford splines? Using GN hubs on the Whatever project cause I have them. They are heavy...

Good place to ask the question and bring this thread back up...

23. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Yes, the 31 splines are the same configuration for the Quickchange and Ford 9".

The old GN hubs are extremely heavy. Modern versions are substantially lighter, but not as light as the Wide 5.
    There is also a 2" bearing hub that uses 5 on 5", 5 on 4 1/2". or 5 on 4 3/4" bolt circles. They are in between weight wise. These are generally referred to as Howe hubs.

24. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

So true r.e. weight. I have the older billet gn hubs. Heavy! Certainly not necessary for the street, but it's what I have. Have I mentioned I'm half Scots? We're thrifty...

Tman likes this.
  25. lotus7

lotus7
    from Ohio

Do you have a set to fit the big Winters QC center section ? its an 11 bolt and I am also looking for other parts, thanks

26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Sent you a private conversation.

27. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Richmond QC 11 bolt is there something available to change this to a Ford rear ?

28. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

What do you want to change about it?

29. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was thinking steel axle tubes and regular Ford rear drums and axles?

30. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Yes, you can replace the axle tubes with ones that have late Ford bearing cups and brakes. Off the shelf parts. I'll send you a private message.

stillrunners likes this.