Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 5w Coupe project continue

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, May 28, 2016.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hey,
    I was visit in Sweden , Ekens Gassers Swapmeet (Stockholm). Bought some stuff to my projects and to my hot rod shop. Some customers were ordered stuff from my hot rod shop. I promised free delivery there.

Micke From Dala Krom Ab (Crome plating Company) is very helpful man. He was cromed my wishbone, rear radius rods and 1932 heavy axle. Quality is better than good, exelent! and price is very reasonable !!! 100% service , Thanks.

Of course price was lower because i made basics here, but I know that there is very much to do (copper, nickel, crome).

Aulis

Its wintertime here, but still hot rods, customs on the road. Outside there was good car show.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    brEad, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  2. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

I agree. Don't chop this one. Build it and see how you like it. Can always chop later. Like cutting lumber. Cutting is easy. Adding is not.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. Chop it, 5"!

Lättähattu likes this.
  4. AULIZ

AULIZ

I have one 5w chopped 4.5 - 5" , so I have decided that this one I leave like it is.
    Real "hop up". There is so much to do with rear quarters, doors, cowls, trunk and trunk lid,.... so Top is now "protected" part of this car.

ah

5. AULIZ

AULIZ

All Right. 16 months this Project has been waiting for, less or more, "better days".

Today started to weld body. First I cut off driver side B-pillar and lifted top up 1/4".
    Now door "holes" are same size and B-pillars welded on together with body.

Also cut off trunk gutter from driver side. Fixed it By hand tools, bead roller machine and shrinker stretcher.
    That side is welded and tomorrow Morning I continue pass. side. When trunk area is ready, I cut off both rear quarters. Those are junk, and its better to make all new.

Its easier to correct body, when sides are totally open.
    Few pics included

IMG_4523b.jpg
    . IMG_4527b.jpg IMG_4526b.jpg IMG_4525b.jpg IMG_4524b.jpg IMG_4522b.jpg IMG_4520b.jpg IMG_4519b.jpg IMG_4518b.jpg IMG_4516b.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

full height screams steel car...

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. AULIZ

AULIZ

Here few pictures took last summer. I bought new trunk lid from UP.
    when I fit it on its Place, result was not good.

After that I took my fond and note that new trunk lid has not right shape (r, is not right)
    Same fond fits good Project car, my another 5w coupe and cabriolet (all orig. henry).

After all, I make Reclamation to UP. They just said, their products are 100% fit.
    UP shit = made Yellow man in China (or taiwan). Nice quality and United Pacific style to handle reclamations is like "Russian style".

Aulis

Now I decided to weld together new trunk lid. New Brookville inner panel (right R) and original not good condition skin. Very much work to make it ready. Rost, big dents, missing pieces of steel.....
    IMG_4217b.jpg IMG_4218b.jpg IMG_4219b.jpg IMG_4220b.jpg IMG_4222b.jpg IMG_4223b.jpg IMG_4221b.jpg

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

N ice work indeed but a fast question, what the hell does gas cost there?
    upload_2017-11-14_16-32-34.png

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hmmm... Gas is expensive here..... approx. $4.7 /gal (1.45euro litre).

But I think that is not expensive. Its more expensive have woman living in same address.....
    Before I had only one hot rod and race car and no money in account.
    After divorce, Many hot rods, economical situation is better, travelling, long trip drive with hot rods,....

No timecard system. Just do what want. Gas price is small thing in that case.....Hahaaa.

Aulis

V8-m, brEad, 40ragtopdown and 8 others like this.
  10. AULIZ

AULIZ

11. AULIZ

AULIZ

Missing some pictures from this thread while jalopyjournal server was "shut down".

Pass side is ready. very nearly right dimension after worked with it one day.
    Pass side is waiting for new panel.

While I make new trunk lid. New brookville inner panel + 10y old swedish (repro steel) skin. Inner panel was near right shape, skin needed working before I can continue.

aulis

IMG_4542b.jpg IMG_4544b.jpg IMG_4546b.jpg IMG_4547b.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Stogy, brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. AULIZ

AULIZ

8hours working with trunk lid skin and inner panel.
    Still one day more with latch, welding, lower area is not enough good. yet,.....

Good Englishwheel, Bead roller machine, Shrinker/Stretcher and Pullmax with shinking dies are needed daily when do sheetmetaljobs.

here few pics.

AULIS IMG_4561b.jpg IMG_4558b.jpg IMG_4552b.jpg IMG_4548b.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    m.ralph, fegsta, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  13. brady1929

brady1929

14. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sir. 1932 trunk lid is "poor". I was think that I make louvers, but You know our weather here....Not like in Az or Ca. I want to use my hot rods every weather, so its better if lid is as much as possible "waterproof".

My another 5w coupe is outside every weather from end of April to end of September. Trailer Queens and Garage Females are not hot rods. Real hot rod is made for rodding.

15. AULIZ

AULIZ

Week has gone without any hot rod building. Last weekend I was with my son in Stockholm (Ekens Gasser´s swapmeet), and got flu there....

Yesterday/today I made two paper pattern (rear quarter).
    Tomorrow start to make new quarter panels, both side.

Ah IMG_4566.JPG

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and Runnin shine like this.
  16. HAHAHA!! That's some funny shit, right there.

48fordnut and loudbang like this.
  17. AULIZ

AULIZ

IMG_4581b.jpg Today made pass. side rear quarter. I was forgot how hard work is to make big sheetmetals. 7hours, no coffee brake and another side is nearly ready.
    Now waiting for that Sauna is warm, to go relax there (with cold Corona beer)

First cut, after that english wheel working to get little camber both ways.
    Bead roller machine is needed very much, while planishing hammer or pullmax (shrink),.....

I was think that I make front edge turns to that big part, but that is not possible,
    so I cut extra material out and make there extra part with two bend.

Tomorrow I need to make another side.

Aulis

IMG_4590b.jpg IMG_4589b.jpg IMG_4588b.jpg IMG_4587b.jpg IMG_4585b.jpg IMG_4584b.jpg IMG_4583b.jpg IMG_4582b.jpg IMG_4580b.jpg IMG_4577b.jpg IMG_4573b.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    brEad, ct1932ford, 48fordnut and 6 others like this.
  18. Damn thats nice. Wish i had done metal class at tech school 50 years ago instead of carpentry.

GlassThamesDoug and loudbang like this.
  19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Auliz.... you wanna make a couple more of those quarter panels? :D

loudbang likes this.
  20. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks. I was in business school 35y ago,..... they talked only about debit/credit, variable-and fixed costs. Nothing about welding, sheetmetal jobs or valve piston backlash....

Hmmmm, maybe later. Now my plan is to make this car "welded" before
    roadster is come home.

Aulis

loudbang likes this.
  21. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

You are a very talented man Auliz! I like the trunk lid bead feature. Thank you for including so many pictures of the quarter panel fabrication. I don't know why I had not been following this build before but I will put it on my watched thread list now. It looks like the next time you want to build a 5 window coup you should just take measurements off of the ones you have and make the body from new sheet metal on all of that fancy equipment you have.

48fordnut and loudbang like this.
  22. a bloke

a bloke

Great skills on display there.

loudbang likes this.
  23. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks. Maybe I need to go first Lazze´s metal shaping course.....
    Everything is easier if knows all small tricks.

Good, that we still have those henry Fords, originals.
    Main thing in hot rodding is to make parts itself, use other cars parts,......

bling bling parts are not belong to the hot rodding. Of course I buy many new parts (door handles, bearings, interios stuff etc etc etc. Now a days too many hot rod and street rod are "bolt on". Too easy, thats not real hot rodding. By the way, best of all hot rod books is Don Montgommery´s HOT RODS OF THE FOURTIES. Never tired to read it or just look pictures....

"It looks like the next time you want to build a 5 window coup you should just take measurements off of the ones you have and make the body from new sheet metal on all of that fancy equipment you have."
    That would be nice, but I can tell You that my skills and knowledge are not enough good for that. Need to work daily sheetmetal jobs.... Oskar Klar in Sweden , man who continued lazze sheetmetal jobs after Lazze moved to CA, has done 1-2 1932 5w coupe. He is Younger man, started from Lazze´s course and I can tell that he is good.

www.tmwab.se

AULIS

1932 5w-oskar.png

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    brEad and loudbang like this.
  24. AULIZ

AULIZ

Sunday only few hours working in garage.
    Pass side ready for welding etc.

IMG_4595b.jpg IMG_4594b.jpg IMG_4593b.jpg IMG_4592b.jpg IMG_4591b.jpg

wheeldog57, brEad, 30tudor and 2 others like this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

I think you might know that a splice in the long panel COULD cause problems showing up at a later date after paint.

26. AULIZ

AULIZ

I do not know what problems You mean, but maybe You know all my problems?. If all welded good , tin,... no problems.
    But I listen professional persons, who can teach me TIG welding, Tin etc.

I have welded my another 5w coupe very much, no problems. 10years, 70 00miles,...

Anyway, I know nothing about car building, but interested in to learn.
    Pictures and instuctions can be send to my mailbox ([email protected]).

meeksie and loudbang like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

SOMETIMES with a long vertical seam like that there MAY be problems of it "Showing" or Shadow like areas "under the paint" that show up due to differences in expansion and contraction rates. Most people won't notice them but they CAN BE notable to bodymen.

I'm not saying you will have that problem just that it happens SOMETIMES.

28. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

looks like you have all the parts for the fed....i spent lot of time and fun in one in the 60s but to day i would not like to sit over the rear axel.....must be old age....but have fun with it....

29. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yes, if MIG weld , problems are ready, even if body is not flexible.

Tig or Gas welding are good ones, when weld body. Those give enough heat.
    I put together using Míg, but final welding using Tig
    Earlier I had certificates for MMA, MIG/MAG welding (steel) and
    TIG (SS tubes) when I worked in industry all over.

few pics, driverside.

a IMG_4604b.jpg IMG_4603b.jpg IMG_4602b.jpg IMG_4600b.jpg IMG_4597b.jpg

brEad, bymanr, Dick Stevens and 3 others like this.
  30. AULIZ

AULIZ

Both sides ready for welding.
    IMG_4607b.jpg IMG_4606b.jpg IMG_4605b.jpg