Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J_J_, Jul 1, 2012.

1. J_J_

J_J_

Well I havent had a project in about 3 years and likewise nothing to really post.. been looking and waiting for something and boy did I find it..
    Short version a guy called about some old shopmanuals I had on craigs list and after many hours of BS'ing he offered me the Nailhead motor and trans someone swedged into a pontiac he has, talked about finding something to put it in for a father son project with my youngest and he gave us a 28-31 frame and a 41 Chevy truck cab with a happy birthday to my son.. so we picked it up last week, and it's kinda as bad as I expected but got mare than I expected with it.
    the frame , cab, a front axel with spring and split wish, rear buggy spring, steering column and gear, a junk 671 blower, and another front axel that looks to be an early 40's.
    anyway as you can see the cabs got a drastic chop that I need to redo, but floors solid and doors and latches even work.. not sure what they were doing with the frame so gotta figure what I'm gonna do there. also got a 31 spline 9" for it too, a little wider that I want but it'll have to do!
    This is gonna have to be a budget build but the plan right now is to get the frame and suspension done up so she's low but not to low, might channel the cab not sure yet but definately gonna raise the top up a little, I'm fine with the height but my son needs a little more...
    dont have any front sheetmetal or a bed, but he found the headlight buckets for it so I'll get them when I go back for the engine and trans.

Attached Files:

2. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

looks like it will be a good build for you and your son.
    thanks for posting . I love seeing stuff from local guys

3. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

COOL! hope to see it around town! im here in jurupa valley

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Nothing wrong at all with that stack of parts. The body is actually pretty solid looking and the nailhead will make a great motor for it.

Now you have no excuse for not posting stuff . :D

Don

5. J_J_

J_J_

been so busy fixing the wifes car and getting the daughters everything ready for her to move up north I have touched it. Was looking at it today and just cant figure what they were doing with the rear..they raised the frame about 3.5 inches but put their rear spring mount on the bottom of the frame so didnt really change anything, theres 3 leafes missing from the rear spring, not sure what I'm gonna do there yet.. need to find spindles and figure what were gonna do for brakes, was planning on putting a 4" droped axel on her,and going disk but not alot of room for a boostr and not a fan of manual disk.. Main plan right now is sell or trade off what I dont need to get what I do , put a rolling chassis together see how she sits and go from there. from that point the rest is easy.

6. J_J_

J_J_

Started cleaning the frame down a bit today before it got to hot.. And though I figured they were long gone, there was the vin under an inch of paint, which should make registering it much easier! made my day anyway.. now if I just had numbers for the damn cab!

7. J_J_

J_J_

just searched the MFCA site and from what I can figure the frame or rather original engine was built march of 1930 so gives me a good starting point..

8. J_J_

J_J_

well picked up the headlights and turn signal he had for it, not sure what they came off of but theyre painte the same ugly green as the truck ..

Attached Files:

9. J_J_

J_J_

Well spent the last week just dealing with the frame, she took a hard hit to the right front at some point so been straighting it out. Everything is square and right again just got a little clean up and such. A friend of mine has some extra 130 wall 1 3/4 left over from the last roll cage so I'm gonna go down to his shop and bend up a crossmember for her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

moved the cab into the garage today so I can start cutting out the floor and such, thinking of raising it about 3- 4" just enough to cover the rails and keep a clean look. but man I have no room to work in now..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. J_J_

J_J_

looking at the curren frame height as about where I want it to set I put the rear sping I have up to it for an idea and figure it might just work..
    springs missin about 3 leafs for sure maybe 4
    [​IMG]

was looking at so cals springs and they have one I like but not liking the price tag..

11. J_J_

J_J_

well now that the wifes on the right path to healing from her surgury I got to play on the truck a bit last couple of days!
    btw I really hate kaiser hospital!

Attached Files:

12. J_J_

J_J_

now it's time to rough out some panels and start fitting this puzzle back together!

Attached Files:

13. J_J_

J_J_

Well gotta get me some more sheet metal and a better sand blaster but got the cowl cleaned up and the firewall flipped, cut, reshaped the distributor pocket wan was gona tack it all in but realized I'd be smart to wait till I got the motor and trans here to test fit it all and make sure before I get to excited and create more work for myself..
    just got it all sitting together for now..

Attached Files:

14. J_J_

J_J_

Well with the discovery of the wifes cancer and the hystorectomy and all that jaz along side of my father and heart issues and god father passing needless to say I havent done squat to the truck. Finnally back working making a few bucks so took the truck to the shop and back at it when I'm not working on money jobs...
    Anyway straightened up some crap with the frame new crossmember inset boxed it, cleaned up the nine for it gonna run the AA axel for now, got the wishbones done, scored a running 327 for 200 so gonna ride with it for now and yesterday I scored a th400 while getting parts for the shops race truck!
    I stll have a ton of parts to get need an intake, carb, distributor, seats guages etc,etc,etc. but I'm getting there and my youngest son came down to work on the truck today instead of gamming with his friends like he normally does, which since it is to be his truck he should be working on it! :)

Attached Files:

15. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

great score on a 327 , im interested to see how this build turns out ,

16. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

nice thread---good luck...

17. J_J_

J_J_

well finally got a couple extra bucks to get some gas for the welder and got to work on the truck again this weekend. Been job hunting again since August and taking on whatever odd job I could and just haven't been able to get anything done! But getting the firewall flipped and welded in sure made me feel a ton better! the plan so far is to get the cab tacked back together so I can get its mountings and floor figured out then start working on the roof, still need to find a windshield frame would be nice to know what the stock height was...

Attached Files: