Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New project..revised 5/14/18

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timwhit, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Nice start! Makes me want to get something done on my coupe.

2. nope, no V8-60 for me. I want a road car this time around.
    Gary: I'll do the nats in the cabrio. Too much fun not having a self imposed mandate to work my tail off all sum
    mer.

3. wicarnut

wicarnut

Congrats ! Enjoy your new project, looks real solid in Pic's.

4. pretty impressive start for sure. never find anything like that up here in the NE! That drip pan needs a patent filing:D:D

5. We're having more big fun! Pulled the dash out and painted it...it needed it! Removed the left rocker, about ready to stick the new one on. Took the back seat out today to remove the RED corduroy. Turns out, there was some black vinyl/Naugahyde under it!! Looks a ton better. I'm enjoying the relaxed pace for sure. Debating building the frame or buying a perimeter frame or maybe a full pro-shop deal. Here's a few pics. As I mentioned earlier, this will be a slow go so check in occasionally. 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG Tim

mgtstumpy, BradinNC and kiwijeff like this.
  6. WOW! Love the seat. What a nice floor! I'd have to leave the body unchopped but I'd love to get my hands on it and polish the black paint up, drop the suspension and refresh the SBC...install juice brakes and drive it.

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Wow Tim what a car!!!!!!!! Looks to be very solid.

8. Tim: The sedan is real solid. Needs very little rust repair. I'm really enjoying this car. No hurry at all. I'll add some more pics next week.
    Rocky: My plan for now is keep the existing paint and no chop. Not sure about the eng/trans combo yet. It will for sure sit much lower.

9. texkbc

texkbc

10. Here's a brief update: Ordered a top bow kit from Classic Wood in North Carolina. Got it real quick and took about two hours to intall. Had one bad piece of wood in the drivers side B pillar so I removed it and cut a new one from a piece left over from the repair I did on the back window wood. The lower part of the back window surround was rotted so I picked up a piece of wood big enough to do do the repair all in one piece. So, doweled them together. Had on part of the rear floor that was thin so I picked up a patch panel for it from R&J in Kansas. Took the dash out and painted it and put a couple of good gauges in it. Pulled some leaves out of the rear spring to lower it a little. I could live with the way it sits! Also replaced both rockers. More BIG fun!!! Sold the Cabrio but I'm still purposely dragging this along at a slow, --fun-- pace. Tim 075.JPG 076.JPG 077.JPG 078.JPG 081.JPG 082.JPG 117.JPG 119.JPG 111.JPG 120.JPG

11. BTW: Anyone have an old '33 radiator cap? Doesn't have to function, just needs to fill up the hole.

12. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Every little thing helps. Keep up the slow and steady pace, it's looking great.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

we knew that you "wood" make progress

14. Your a real "cut up".

15. A brief update. I've been looking at the tack strip for the soft top and trying to find the correct approach to re-doing it. The fiber like material is in bad shape in the corners and the sheet metal channel that it is encased in is rough as well. I've read some threads about how to repair/replace the fiber material and talked to a guy that has done the interior in three of my cars. He said He uses 1/2 " plywood to replace the tack strip. I'm OK with that if the wood gets sealed real well before being installed. I'm now thinking of removing the sheet metal channel as well due to it's condition. I'' load some pics so you'all can see what I mean. The recess in the body is in good shape so I could use some other? product for tack strip or wood. I did read where some one used vinyl/rubber side molding for this application. I like that idea. I'll get the channel removed and look around to see what I think might be best for this. I'll do a follow up when I figure it out. Be glad to have suggestions. Tim 762.jpg 765.jpg 766.jpg 763.jpg 764.jpg

16. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

What a nice car to start with! The chrome garnish moldings look to be in great shape also!

17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Looks great, good progress. So are you filling the top and then put an insert on top? If so I,ve heard nothing but good things about Waldens inserts. In fact when we went to the Grand Nation we went to there shop and saw the bucks they use to gauge the crown of the top.

18. Tim what a great start. You are moving along very nicely. Did you ever find a radiator cap.? I need to look in my stash as I might have one. I'll see if I can find it & send you pic. Enjoying the build on this one. You need a nice flatty in it.
    Wish I was young enough to start another one.

19. Brief update. A big thanks to "burn out Bob" for sending me a radiator cap. Standup guy!! I settled it in my mind to remove the rusty channel and replace it with hardwood. I found some 1/2 " thick Poplar at Lowes. It was 6" wide and 4' long, enough to do the whole channel!! I fit it, then took it out and put two coats sealer on it before bolting it in. Also removed all the windows, replace the rear window, the ws frame with new glass. I cleaned up inside the quarters, did some hammer and dolly work and shot some primer in there.Here's a few pics. 054.jpg 194.jpg 190.jpg

20. I spent some time messing around with the grill/hood alignment. Found the brackets the hood latch to were in the wrong holes in the radiator. Moved them forward and now the hood sides latch correctly. Proper alignment came a little harder. Had to shim up the radiator on the passenger side which pulled the hood up on the front corner making it work better. Found out that the passenger side frame rail, from the firewall forward had a kink in it, explaining the need for shimming the rad up. It needs a horn on the drivers side. I'm really leaning towards a pro-built complete frame. I can take time to work on this on later.
    Pulled all the sheet metal off the rear. Gas tank is real straight and holds fuel. One fender is real nice, one near junk. The obligatory rust hole in each wheel well. Small stuff compared to some I've seen.
    Not much to look at today but I'm getting ready to pull hood and grill, cherry out the firewall and start unbolting the body. I'm starting to get real energetic about this thing now so maybe I'll pick up the pace, stay tuned. TW 002.jpg 001.jpg 004.jpg 001.jpg

Runnin shine and mgtstumpy like this.
  21. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Looks like fun.

22. A little more progress. Pulled the body off the frame, got under there and went over the whole thing with a grinder with a wire cup on it. primed and painted it also. Patched up the wheel wells and filled some holes in the firewall. Also sanded and buffed the cowl sides and lower part of the drivers door and was surprised how well they cleaned up. As it turns out, the original frame was pretty bent up from the firewall forward. I've decided to have a complete new chassis built. Cory Pugh at RJ's (alliance vendor) is doing it for me. Heading out there next week to check progress. (actually want to get out of town for a while, seems like I live in the garage).
    Looks like all the hard work is done on this car. I'm down to cleaning up the rest of the paint, puttin wheels and tires together. Picked up some great wheels from an old friend. Here's some pics. 001.jpg 025.jpg 002.jpg 002.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg

Fairlane500, mgtstumpy and texkbc like this.
  23. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. Man, that's a nice sedan! Keep those updates coming.

25. Well, let's play catch up. My new chassis was deliverd the first week of August. I picked up 350/350 to stick in the frame. Also bought some tires and got them on. Been working on exhaust and changed a couple of things. Wound up buffing the whole body. It sure looks better. I now have the steering hooked up and am ready to remove the body and start taking the chassis apart so I can start painting. Here's some pics. Tim 045.jpg 055.jpg 525.jpg 524.jpg 819.jpg Also had to modify the tank to clear the rear u-bolts.

26. nice progress....I like it!

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Wow, what a great score and in exceptional condition. Subscribed. I can't wait to see it finished.

28. Thanks, I'll try to remember to post some pics every few days.

RODIST likes this.
  29. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

30. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

You are making some good progress Tim.