Register now to get rid of these ads!

New project F1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildearp, Nov 29, 2009.

1. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Is the VIN on the frame of these somewhere?

[​IMG]

I got this home today for the right price........FREE. I have a FREE parts car to go with it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

cool. a bargain at twice the price

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Free is ALWAYS good ...

I like those trucks ...
    I had a 49 ( sbc/4 speed/9 inch rear ) many years ago. NOW with the 32 3W basically finished .... I have been entertaining the idea of getting another one (1948/1949/1950 ) .

Been looking, just have NOT YET found the right one. Just want a old beater .. I will fix it with a SBC and later F100 9 inch in the rear :D

I want one to look like this ... but maybe NOT as shiny :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  4. Dirk35

Dirk35

Here is a thread that will help with the VIN. Mine is on the firewall on a aluminum tag on the passenger side on my 49 F1.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338862&highlight=f1&showall=1

Here is a good thread that will help you in your endevor.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118980&highlight=f1&showall=1

Not to hijack the thread, but can someone measure how high the the bottom of the front fenders are off the ground at the front and the rear of the wheel opening? Im trying to set mine I think mine are leaning down in the front.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009

5. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

New ones on the way to the dealer........

Attached Files:

• -14.jpg
      -14.jpg
      File size:
      485.7 KB
      Views:
  6. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

the vin should be on a tag on the glovebox door as well as the passenger side front of the frame if I recall correctly.

7. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Thanks a bunch for the links.

There is a plate on the firewall that is obliterated. The one in the Glovebox starts with 87HY and all numbers are legible, which should be a 1948_ 6 cylinder 3/4 ton.

How can I tell if the fenders are 3/4 F-2 or 1/2 F-1 or are they the same?

It appears to have a 1/2 ton front axle? and a GM 10 bolt is under the rear.

I have found a few threads about putting a Camaro clip under these. Any word on why this is a bad idea? I have the entire car for a free donor......

8. puschrod

puschrod

Nice score on the truck! As far as I've been able to determine, the fenders are the same. Just some input on a camero clip, the track width is wide for these trucks and you end up needing narrowed control arms and such to make it look right. Recommend MII with a non power rack. Good luck, man. By the way...a ford engine fits in there just as well.

9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

free is the best price for sure! congrats!

10. henrys_way

henrys_way
    from Maine

Nice!!! keep the us updated on the build.

11. Good score! Also check out the user's group.

12. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Nevermind. Found it.

13. Easiest way for me is to go to your profile and click on "manage your account". You should see a "social groups" item. Click on it and you'll eventually find it and a whole lot more.
    Failing that, click on my profile and it's listed. Click on it and join.
    May not be the right way but it's worked. Good luck. (check out my F-1 while you're there)
    Charley

14. havi

havi

Dana 41 and 44 are what these came with, and can look like a GM 10 bolt. Glove box, P-side firewall, and frame (either side on top by shock mounts or so) are where the serial numbers are. The Y indicates a bigger pickup, which should be a C if 1/2 ton, but mine is definately a 1/2 ton and has Y in the serial # as well. Every part on mine has the part number visible with the letter C...most notably the frame shackles. 1/2 tons, IE F1, has the only smaller fenderwell opening. F2-6 are bigger, F7/8 are bigger and wider.

15. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Cool project and ya can't beat the price.

16. Rooney00

Rooney00

Good score. Always liked those trucks.

17. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

A few minutes ago I picked up a 9 inch ford, big bearing, 31 spline axles with 3.50:1 gears. Drum to drum for $50. Gotta be very fast for the Craigs list deals.......:D

18. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Run the VIN through the FTE VIN decoder:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/vin-decoder/index.php

[​IMG]

The fenders are F-1s. F-2, up to F-6 have the same fenders with a wider wheel openings. The seam that runs into the wheel opening is noticeably shorter on the larger trucks. Your truck also has the F-1 box and rear fenders.

The Jaguar front end is almost a bolt in. There's a lot of discussion on the FTE site, http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/. You won't be able to do a site search using their system if you're a new member and have less than 25 posts but you can find relevant posts using Google.

19. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Thanks for the info.

CPP is having a heck of a sale on the hated ebay. Get the item code from ebay and call in your order to avoid ebay and paypal. Front end, sway bar, tubular a-arms, drop spindles, power rack, stainless steering hose kit, brakes, etc. $1669 free shipping. With a 4-link, pan hard, and coil overs for the rear I came in at $2450 shipped. This will still be a very low budget ride after I take some parts off my donor car and sell the rest. Not very traditional, but my tradition is I build them myself and drive them.

I really wasn't completely set on building this until I got the rear cheap. :)

Title guys will be here Tuesday. They no longer do out of state titles, only bonded and abandoned titles. I will try the latter this time and let you know how it works out.

20. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

21. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

22. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

It's the correct front clip, all '48-50s are the same. I don't know the seller, just trying to help out two HAMBERs.

23. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

This one is low budget. I can get it rolling for under $4K and make it a decent driver for a bit more than that. That would really blow it. ;)

24. Dirk35

Dirk35

Im building a 49 for my daughter and trying to get her involved also. I personally like the 51 Grill better.... but I really dont know why I do. I just do. Here is a pic of her after we filled the emblem holes.

Attached Files:

25. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

I really like the later years too. These horizontal bars are homely. I am planning a way to make the front end look better to me. I am consulting Jack Daniels at the moment for guidance.......:D

Is that a Camaro/Pontiac clip? What engine? Just curious.........

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  26. classicmike

classicmike

Good luck on your build. Mine is a 48 F1 with a 352cid bored out to 390, 67 Camaro front clip and rear end, F6 tranny, PS,PB, A/C, VDO gauges....what a ride!

27. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

UPDATE: My title guys can no longer deal with out of state title transfers. Well, I didn't have a title anyway, and I towed this vehicle out of a friends yard, therefore it will qualify as an abandoned vehicle. That is the way I am going. I sent in the paperwork and it was rejected. The title guys said to leave nothing blank and to not write n/a in any blank, but to draw a line through it. I did this. Well, fuck me.........on the back side of the pressure transfer carbon copy form were faint lines that I was supposed to write in the "towed from" address and a release signature. I have pretty damn good eyesight, and looked at the form a few times before I noticed it. Why in the flying fuck would they put lines on the back side of layers of carbon copy forms? Well, I filled it out and am sending it in again. I won't turn a wrench or swing a hammer on a project until that title is in my hand......wish me luck... or beer.:D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  28. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

enjoy. love those trucks. Keep us informed and check out the "bonus built" club here on the HAMB. Its an F1 dedicated social club!

29. hotstepn

hotstepn

I'm starting the same project on my 50 F1 with TCI front and rear. I plan on keeping the flathead V8 matting it to a S10 T-5 trans. Good luck on yours...

30. Here's an F-1 I just about have done, I used a 65 Malibu front clip, fits great.
    [​IMG]