Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New project - Channeled 31 Model A Roadster.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by D-Ozzie, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Six foot four, channeled car;
    Just how short d'ya think you are?
    Chop the windshield, if you dare.
    Don't complain 'bout mussed-up hair! -note to channelers everywhere:D

2. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

I'm using '32 upper stanchions, so about 12" overall height on the windshield. Bald as a cue ball, so I have that issue covered!

3. U-235

U-235

Like your idea about making a vintage looking SBC.....here's mine. Its actually a 300 HP/327......going in a 51 Ford.

Attached Files:

4. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Go with the one that will let you afford to drive it ASAP and then slowly build your dream engine at your pace and according to your budget. Save for the nailhead, but run the SBC until you can run the nailhead.

5. This is going to be a bitchin hot rod.
    There was a time when people used to repower em with many different engines, after the flathead, sbc were popular, but some forget that.
    Channelling is great look, imo, but I'm only 5,7 so don't have issues taller folks have.
    Keep up the great work, this will be a fun car.

6. hasty

hasty

Looking forward to following this...

7. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

Very cool.

8. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

So here's the update from this weekend.

I repaired the threads in the intake and refinished it. I used Duplicolor "cast aluminium", which is a bit darker and more blue-ish than the "bright aluminium" finish. I think it looks pretty good. I also painted the valve covers. They need another coat. As I said above, my plan is to go back and polish the "Corvette" script and edges of the fins. I have to pick up more carb studs.
    [​IMG]

This is what the carbs look like after spending 12 hours in the crock pot full of pine sol:
    [​IMG]
    I am not happy with this result. I think I am going to clean them again with an old fashioned chem dip - sorry Nature. I tried. Also, after seeing U-235's set-up in the post above I'm definitely going with the yellow chromate dip. I ordered some supplies from Caswell.com; the carbs will be my project this weekend if the Caswell delivery comes by Friday.

Also, I mocked up the body to see what it would look like if I un-channeled it so the subrails are in the stock position on top of the rails over the zee'd part of the frame. I like the result and I think I am going to go with this stance. I put the upper windshield stanchions on, too, to get an idea of overall height (they need to be laid back a bit). What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can definitely see the zee'd frame rail under the center section of the car, but I don't think it looks too weird. I was torn whether to go with body color or black on the frame. After seeing this, I think I will go with black so the zee'd part isn't as noticeable. Once the engine is in, I think that front end will come down and give it a nice rake. I am still trying to picture it with '31 style splash aprons mounted. Hmmm. Anyone in VA Beach have a set of aprons I could borrow?

9. studebaker46

studebaker46

I really like the unchannelled look but being from the Midwest both style were popular back in the day. This is a really neat project. have fun and stay the course sounds like you have a good plan. Tom

10. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

COOL - looking - its going to be net RIDE - good luck :cool::cool:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. wicarnut

wicarnut

KOOL! Just a suggestion, Spend some time figuring out your seating position, channel and recessed firewall, going to be short and tight. Maybe consider standard firewall and possible stretch wheelbase and drop floor for seat pad, I had a 29 highboy w/ recessed firewall, chopped windshield, seat ended up pad on floor and knees up, not very comfortable, I always joked about it being a 60/100 mile car, I had to get out and rest my butt bone. You have a great project and you seem to have the skills, Good Luck ! Keep posting!

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If anyone has the balls to do a build thread on a channelled car on the HAMB, I'm subscribed!

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Poet and he dont even noit...:p

chryslerfan55 and Jeff34 like this.
  14. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

I wasn't happy with how the carb bodies came out after just the Pine Sol dip. I know you guys like photos, so here's a photo journal of what I ended up doing. If anyone wants more details about the zinc plating process, I took a bunch of pics along the way, so I could post those, too. See above for the "before" pic after they came out of the Pine Sol, then...

After soda blasting:
    [​IMG]

Into the zinc electroplating rig:
    [​IMG]

The carb on the right is fresh out of the plating bath. It is zinc plated, but because I was using a 6v charger (too much voltage, note the bubbles in the pic above), the plating didn't lay down flat -- it has more of a sandblasted rough cast look to it. The carb of the left was plated same as the other, but then it was brushed with a soft, brass-bristle wire brush. Much better.
    [​IMG]

Both carbs - top and bottom - brushed after plating:
    [​IMG]

Into the yellow chromate solution for 10 seconds (heated to 80 F using a crock pot - anyone want to come over to my house for pot roast??!):
    [​IMG]

And here's an example of the carbs after they were dried. I didn't want the bright gold or easter egg yellow look. I was going for more of the original yellow-olive look:
    [​IMG]

The linkage looks wonky because nothing is bolted together yet. I was just checking to see how the color looked next to the intake. The center carb had been plated before, and it came out a slightly different color, but when the whole thing is put together I don't think it will be noticeable unless you really look for it.
    [​IMG]

I think I am done with the engine work for now. I need to get the body fitted to the frame so I can mock up the engine/trans and fabricate the brake/clutch pedal mechanism, the firewall, and the trans tunnel.

15. magnus13

magnus13
    from California

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Really nice job on the yellow chromate. Looks very close to original. Nice!

17. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

I made a little progress on the body.

So, here is the subrail extension notched out for the front frame kickup.
    [​IMG]

And here it is with the firewall patched in.

[​IMG]
    Here is the other side... I ran out of welding gas, so I guess I'm done for the day.

[​IMG]

18. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Nice! The stance looks great- you will be happy with the z'd frame and subrails on top. Us tall guys weren't built to be in these little hot rods. But that won't stop us. I am 6' 5" and building a 29 roadster. Good luck and have fun

19. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

Nice. Glad I'm not the only one.

21. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Images aren't working

23. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

IMG_0857[1].JPG IMG_0861[1].JPG IMG_0858[1].JPG [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

24. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

25. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

26. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

Sorry, these are a bit out of order.

IMG_1695.JPG IMG_1700.JPG IMG_1724.JPG IMG_1727.JPG

27. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

28. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool!

30. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

After driving it around for a bit, I think I am going to change a few thing up - go for more of a cruiser vibe. I am thinking of putting fenders on it, switching to an automatic, and moving the master cylinder under the floor. Braking takes quite a bit of force - my pedal setup is kind of a hodgepodge of circle track parts and custom. I am sure the ratios are wrong.