Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Project: 58' Del-Ray.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodToomer, Feb 16, 2008.

1. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

yeah, on top of that i couldnt find one in my price range, the truck sold for $3,500, a lincoln welder & a set of 15" corvette wheels, the 58' was a steal at $2,400 with extra parts totaling about $1,000 that were thrown in free.
    the car had so many upgrades going on at once there is a lot of "congestion", stock parts along with new need to be sorted, linkage & wires primarly. for one i have to find a way to moung a swing action drag gas pedal to the throttel linkage. all the while trying not to F!&*% up the seats because they HAVE to be in that car, no other place to store. the truck was good but i see this as a blank, something more can be done with also.

2. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Just a little update, so i found out i cannot be civilized with a drill. took about and hour to get the old tumbler out and because of a small mistake in position i screwed up the pin that retains the new tumbler, so yeah i got the old out and the new in, but its hard to turn and when i put it in 'Lock', the tumbler comes out, i dont know if i should consider it a saftey upgrade or a screw up.
    And my friend told me his old auto shop teacher owes him a favor so he's gonna try & help me out by getting me a bay at the shop to use for a while. :D

3. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

best news probally in this whole deal.
    i've been pissing and moaning about my car being outside, i have no other place to store it and weather premitting work on it.
    so my buddy came over to look at it and tells me, "My auto shop teacher from high school still owes me a few favors, we could probally get this in the shop as a storeage/work space." I about S!%^ a brick. only thing i gotta do in return for the shop teacher is let the kids do a few things to the car, but other then that i get to come and go as i please and use the area. better then letting that new floor rot and all the unfinished body work get messed up. so im pretty excited about the whole thing.

4. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Oh shit, that makes me laugh. I couldn't agree more.

5. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

yeah, a few people say i should just run them for the time being, why the hell would i want to do that when i have the steel ones ready?!
    and im gonna have my buddy grnd down the white letters to make some w-white walls. ill be a happy camper then.

6. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Mini Update: just got the new headlight rings and tail light buckets, N.O.S. grade parts for scrap yard price is hard to beat.
    and just wondering, if someone with photoshop skills could let me see what sliver with a black roof, red with a white roof, black with a red or white roof and green with a white roof would look like, id relly appreciate it.

7. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

so then ignition switch gave me a problem being installed, then new tumbler and switch didnt fit exactly right in the opening, the ears of them tumbler were hitting on the letters on the bezel, so a grinded as carefully as i could with a fine stick file for about 10 minutes getting the letters and ears down to fit, now i no longer have a tractor ignition switch on the cig lighter opening, (Not my work.)
    The cars coming slow, weather has been a bitch and works been messing my scedual up, but as soon as the weather breaks, the steering & brakes are getting buttoned up, slowly but surely.

8. cool score dude! your right "lose the wheels" that f-1 was nice what kind of running gear did it have.

9. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

thanks man. yeah, everyday i sit and look at thouse hunks of crap, it hurts. haha.
    the 49' was a beast, it had a cammed 454 with a holly 750, a TH400 all in front of a stock 49' rear axle, yeah it only could rollcomfertably at 45MPH, but that was the fastest to 45 you'd ever see. i miss it but the guy that has it now is treating it well....kinda.

10. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

so i ran into a problem and since its something i've never worked with, power steering, i need some help.
    i tried to take the original 58's pitman arm and put it on to the 605 box, and it went on fin but the arm wont go onto the tie rod because the arm goes to far back, it pushes the tie rod into the front saddel. now first thought is the box has to move foward, but the holes on the frame that the bracket goes to are pretty much one shot. i didnt buy the box, i didnt put it on. any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

any help at all?
    i personally hate PS, but i dont have the original box, or steering linkage, and it came with it.
    i just know, thats where the stock box would be, so wouldnt this one fit too?