Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Project: 58' Del-Ray.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodToomer, Feb 16, 2008.

1. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

just scooped it up from a guy who lived not 15 minutes away, mt truck was giving me so many problems it was outweighing the space/tools/money i had to do what needed to be done, so i offed it for something a little more simple. 1958 Del-Ray two door post, Carbed center-bolt 350/700R4 trans.
    every part you dont see on it, came in a box with it.
    steering needing to be hooked up and brake lines are the only things keeping it road worthy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We will see what it turns out to be befor summer comes.

but i still miss my "Deathtrap"
    [​IMG]

2. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

And the aluminum rims will be taken off pronto, i have a set of 15" steels ready to swap the tires with.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I love 'em. I used to drive my moms 58. Same color but it was perfect. 6cyl 3 on the tree. It would go in the snow. I always remember driving it home from the slot car track in the blizzard of '66.

4. thats a bitchin ride man , im freakin jealous! nice score..

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Big Tony

Big Tony

Kewl ride...what plans do you have for her

6. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

I've always liked 58's, but i never thought i'd find a two door i could afford. so i almost dropped a brick when i found this one.
    flh4speed, hey, if with my luck i can find a score like this, be patient, you will too.
    my plans are pretty simple, get all the parts for it installed, sadly it has a lot of new items, its been changed to power steering and power brakes with front disks. not too happy with that. But get it running/driving/stopping, make and exaust system for it, button up all the interior parts, finish welding up the replaced floor pan, paint it DP90 with a deep crimson red top with thick flake, the interior is black velvet & leather diamond stitch, keep that with metalflaked red dash & sill's. red & silver pinstripes all over it. the engine is amazing as is so if anything just toss the quadrajet & put the Holly double pumper i have with an adapter. other then that, i have nooooo idea yet.

7. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Also i need some help locating some tail light buckets for it too, if anyone has a few, id be more then happy.

8. jeffrob

jeffrob

nice score, love those cars
    congrats

9. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

thank you.
    another question too, how do i get the old ignition switch out, i know you have to turn it to the run mark and stick a pin in the small hole but my ignition switch is in 'lock' and i do not have the original keys. should i just bust the lock?

10. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

few more pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Damn i love these seats.
    [​IMG]

11. guiseart

guiseart

8 is my favorite 50... nice

12. Nice score man, I grew up in a 58 !!

Rat

13. Love 58's Chevys and Ponchos

Remember here in my town it was a guy who had a 58 Pontiac with a 58 chevy front end on it. That was a awsome car when it hitte the streets in the late 70's.

Should be cool to follow up what happens to your Del-Ray

14. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

cool car! keep us updated!

15. Toad is that you? What a waste of machinery.....

16. R Pope

R Pope

Find a friendly locksmith that knows his stuff, he can pick the switch and get it apart, then make a key. Or, if you still have the door locks, take one to the 'smith and he can get the #'s and make you some keys. Cost me $20 for my Honda Gold Wing.

17. Barn-core

Barn-core

That white paint looks pretty decent in those pics. Seems to me it would make more sence to paint the doors white, and throw some nice thin scallops on it, think American Graffitti clone. Anything is going to look better than flat black and red, that would just cheapen a nice looking car like that. But it is your car, so do with it what you will.

18. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

on the locksmith deal, everyone around here said it would either be $125 for a key made or just drill it myself. F*$&!!! Im sure i can just drill it easy, keep going up a size till it breaks free.
    On the paint, it looks straight but its really not all that good, they tried filling in the rear splash apron to deleat the gas fill,(now in the trunk), and it was botched, plus the lower quarters are un-sanded. and i didnt snap a picture but the whole right side from the door back is red-oxide, haha.
    I think if anything i might go base coat-clear coat gloss black. the reason white is kinda a no go is because my buddy has a white 58' impala with green scalops.
    im still thinking about the paint, because metalic silver with a black metal-flake top is still an idea too. but basically, i have a LONG way to go befor paint is even an idea, the only paint comming close to it befor its finished being assembled is POR15 on the floor, inside doors & rims.
    only thimg im certain on is the Rims, i hate the ones on there now so the corvette 15" are replacing them. grind the white-letter's & be happy.

19. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Awesome score....cant wait to see it come together!

20. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    its been to cold to get anything done, im hoping for a little relieve on that soon when my buddy clears out his garage.

21. slammed

slammed

The grill look's preety straight. The body too. What color will it be?

22. burger

burger
    from burbs

check out lee pratt's '58 impala.

[​IMG]

23. toolmaker

toolmaker
    from Holland,Mi

nice project.
    This black one is one of my favorites on e-bay last year.

Attached Files:

24. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

both very nice rides.
    i doubt mine will be that caliber anytime soon but i can dream.
    but still lookin good.

25. Nice project. There's not many cars better looking than the '58 chev in my opinion.

26. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

GreenMonster, yeah, i have to agree, my father has a 56' and its amazing but still, i'm lovin the 58'
    then again, your F-1 isnt too bad either, i know what they can be.:rolleyes:

27. AaronP

AaronP
    from Hooker, OK

Nice score. I kind of like those '58 Del-Rays.;)

28. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

[​IMG]
    thats kinda the line i want to run with my car, minus the grill & reverse wheels. i want a little bit more bite with the scallops & the roof will be a different color then the body for sure. but the dump tubes are going to be a part definatly, my love of customs is almost matched by my love for speed built. its going to have a few touches but nothing grand.

29. sololobo

sololobo

Great car Bro., xllnt plan also. Not a lot of these DelRay tu-drs, most folks ordering this car wanted 4-drs, yours is special. Liked the f-1 also. Good Luck with the chebby!!-Sololobo---------P.S. Love the 6-cyl. hood, Dig that badge emblem on it, v-8's had a V on the hood,extra cool!!