Register now to get rid of these ads!

New project 57' Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoBrow, Apr 5, 2007.

1. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Thought I'd share some pictures of the new project I got for my girlfriend. She loves the big finned cars, especially the 57-59 Dodge/Plymouth cars. I being a Chrysler guy had no objections and since Buckle wouldnt sell me the one he has I figured this one will do. Its a 57' Plymouth Plaza 2DR Sedan. It has a later model 318 and 3spd manual trans in it. Runs good and with a little work should drive great. The body is in decent shape. Somebody put lower quarters on and lap welded them, so you can see the joints but all around still very solid. Glass and floors all need replacement. The thing that drew me to the car was it is pretty much all there. Besides a few trim pieces its complete. Plans (as of now) are to redo the trunk and floor pans, put in a later axle (to get rid of the small rear brakes/axle) update the front to discs, New wheels/tires, possibly put in automatic or get the manual adjusted to shift better, replace the glass, and clean up and freshen the engine. By that time she should have her mind made up on a color combo and then we can start bodywork and paint it by next spring. Shes eager to get working into the project and have a neat car to drive. Im excited as I have never had a girl who cares a smidgen about car stuff. So hopefully this one will be on the road this summer...as long as my other 3 projects dont get in the way!! Heres some huge pics.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

First car I remember ever riding in was my dads 58. Soft spot for these cars.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Are those taillamps a combination of a Plymouth lens and a 65 Chevy Impala taillamp underneath? See how the bottom round light is titlted up? Picture it flipped over and in the decklid of a 65 Chevy. Am I dreaming?
    That'll be a fun car when finished. Kind of a low end Christine.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

No, but they are a weird combination of '57 and '58 Plymouth. :D

'57:
    http://www.misterw.com/Plymouth/57PlyBel06b.jpg

'58:
    http://www.plymouthcentral.com/files/58PF02.jpg

Car looks good! There was a '59 Plymouth 2dr sedan on this board a while back, you might do a search. Sea green with scallops, it was really sharp.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Gotgas, take another look. That lower round lamp is neither of the Plymouth pieces you show. Then look at the tailend of a 65 Chevy.
    I think I've got it right.

6. slammed

slammed

Those wheel's muscle car style 'magnum's'? Look's like a soild outter body.

7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I think you're right.

What sucks is, I just got rid of a '58 Plymouth tail light. I do have an NOS '57 tail lens, I think it's the passenger side.

8. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

I thought the lower lens was just upside down. I will have to check into it. I do know there isnt a bulb/socket in the lower light. So maybe someone did just put this one in. The back seat is rumored to be out of an Impala, so maybe the lower tail lenses are too.

Gotgas, I may be interested in any parts you may have for these cars. PM me if you have some stuff you want to part with. Thanks

9. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Yep Magnums with AMC center caps....Hopefully I can find a decent set of steel wheels for it. I have some stock hub caps for these cars, but they are 14"....

10. LoBrow - you done good. I too have a soft spot for 57-58 Plymouths as my first old car was a '57 Plaza 4 door, same color and model as Toad backs into in "American Grafitti". I should have kept it, it was a 35,xxx mile original owner car.

Keep up Mopar guys posted to the progress.

11. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Thanks...I guess I must really have a soft spot for these as my 64' Dodge was pushed outside (which is now covered in snow) so this one can stay warm in the garage!! Haha....:)

12. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

Nice car. I've got a 58 Plymouth Suburban and have most of the same plans. Disc brakes, redo the front floor plans... MY car has a 440 in it. I think which ever previous owner swapped in the 440 may have swapped rear ends also, I just need to take a closer look. Once I get my F100 on the road I'm going to focus on my Plymouth.

Which hub cabs do you have? Are they dog dishes or wheel covers? I remember seeing a post on the Forward Look forums about making the 14 inch wheel covers fit inside the lip on a 15 inch chrome wheel.

13. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Awwwwesome. You best not be slacking on Stinkfoot though!

14. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Are you keeping the 318? My cousin had one back in the late 70's and built the 318 and it was a screamer. He took out the two inboard headlights and used them as air ducts. His had the push button shift box on the dash. It was a great car. Good find and getting harder to find.

15. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

there amc wheels with amc caps! magnums came on several models of amc. if you decide to get rid of them sometime, pm me!i could use an extra set for my amx!!!
    great score btw!!!!:)

16. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Cool. I would love to drop a 440 in this one, especially since 440's are my favorite engine ever....But I think I will keep the 318 in it. That will be plenty good and reliable. The prvious owner basically took the engine brackets from the K-frame of a 70' Dart and welded them to the K-frame in the Plymouth. It looks good, but I am going to redo it just to be sure. Engine is level and sits good, I just have a thing trusting other peoples welds....

The hubcaps I have are the pointed ones, not dog dishes....these cover the whole wheel. I would be interested to find out if the 14" ones could be made to fit the inside of a 15" wheel....Thanks

17. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Stinkfoot is still on the top of the "to do" list...I found a 392 hemi I want, So I cant decide if I want to scrap my 3 carb 440 plans and go with the that instead....or just get the hemi for my dream Plymouth Coupe build....

Breeder, these will be for sale soon. There is one center cap missing, but if you are serious shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out....

18. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Buy the Hemi for your dream car and use the 340 for stinkfoot.

19. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

Hey that is very cool Dustin. If you need anything for it let me know.

Bobby

20. Scott K

Scott K

Damn, you and Buckle might just shame me into gettin my fin-mobile back out.

I converted the fronts to disc brakes using the kit from AAJ. Seems to be a decent kit and went on easy. Not cheap, but now I stop in a straight line every time. I'm considering converting the rears to disc using their kit.

Here's my hooptie

Attached Files:

21. the cool thing about mopar's are the ball joints are the same from 57'-77+. check out the mopar sites late model spindles bolt on. were talking aspen for one example. i have a 58' convertable,57' 2dr sdn. on the back burner (got a huge back burner,right next to the "never will get done burner") you guys know what i'm talking about anyways i have done tons of research from fellow 57'-58' owners and upgrades are easy with factory parts. mid 60's dodge truck rears fit very nice and they had 8 3/4's in lots of them with 3.90 posi's if you need any info pm me be glad to help. cool ride! by the way those are 65' impala taillights i've seen many stock one's on e-bay.

22. Wow, that car is cool. I had one in '70, put a 383 with two fours and a TF727 in it. No front bumper, interior stripped, ran like a bastard! I wish I still had it........:D

23. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Last night we were working on my frame and I decided the 440 will go in the 36'.....

Thanks Bobby, You should probably come over and make a killer custom out of it. Right now I am just searching for parts for it.

I heard you had some troubles on the way down to the Roundup...did you find a new block/engine??

24. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Wow...you shouldnt need me and Buckle to shame you into getting that car out....That things really nice. I have been looking into the kits from AAJ too. I am already in the process of trying to make the later Volare stuff work on my 64' Dodge, so I wouldnt mind getting a kit that is made to go right on.

25. sololobo

sololobo

Holy Batman Low Brow, you scored a good one. Love those MoPars, have some fun and enjoy the rare one!!_Sololobo

26. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Looks Good Dustin, Tara must be happy! We'll have to get up your way soon to check it out...

27. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Yea shes pretty geeked about it. You guys are welcome up this way anytime.

28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That is a CLEAN '57 2dr HT! Very nice, like the subtle body changes and wheel choice. :cool:

29. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

I saw that in the Auto Trader...I thought about giving them a call...no room or extra money though. Nice score...great looking car!

30. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Yeah 440. thats what i meant. haha