The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskool34, Sep 17, 2016.
Made up a concoction of vinegar and steel wool to age the wood, make it fit the truck better.
Never heard of using vinegar to age the wood. How long do you leave it on and/or use the steel wool?
My wife uses it for her crafts, put the steel wool directly in with the vinegar. After about a day it will turn wood a nice gray barn color. This mix has sat for about a year so the steel wool is completely dissolved. The longer it sits, the more drastic, darker it ages the wood. Brush it on and it goes on somewhat clear but the wood will change color almost immediately.
Interesting! Thanks for the info.
So is the steel wool part of the formula, the applicator, or both? I've seen wood with this treatment before and it really looks good.
Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
Steel wool is part of the solution. It dissolves with time and it acts with the vinegar to create the color. It is a stain only buy untreated boards I have done in the past still look like old barn wood.
Front end is off, 302 is getting some older stuff, valve covers and air cleaner to help it blend in. I have some plain steel covers that I am going to put a Y block power master decal on. Just want it to look like it fits. Going to be red block, black valve covers and silver air cleaner.
Gotta love new shoes!
My F100 started out pretty much the same as yours. It's been on the road 4 years now.
Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
Bad pic but bed is off so I can fix the front panel or possibly replace it. If anybody has a somewhat straight rot free panel in old red paint, let me know.
Also got a pretty nice original red paint tailgate with no rot. Fits the truck perfectly. Mine was rotted bad at the bottom and I figured the 100$ price tag was better than spending hours fixing mine.
Neat build, pal.
Great work. Please keep sharing your progress.
not much of a progress report but the 302 got a new paint job. I decided to make it look like a factory stock 302, not the Y block fake I was planning on. Guy at the parts store assured me this was the correct paint. Looks a little lighter to me but oh well, done now and moving on.
Engine/trans went in last weekend. Scored an original 1953 f-100 fordomatic column so going to use that instead of modifying the car '57 unit. Going to tackle what rust repair that cab needs next which is not much.
What are you running for tires? Nice size, really looks like a working shop truck tire.
Awesome project! How did the bed wood turn out? Have to remember that method...
Tires are l-78 15 . The bed wood came out really nice but now I am bummed as I scored all the original wood and strips from a low mile truck that the guy is street rodding. Don't know which wood to use now.
Finally scored an original fordomatic steering column out of a '55 F-100. This will make shifting the C-4 pretty easy yet it retains the stock look. Indicator and needle are NOS and were not cheap!
Started on some sheetmetal work. Some of the rocker on the driver side was rotted and a little of the lower cowl was gone so got the driver side done. Passenger side is about the same condition. Used a y block air cleaner to make the cowl, turned out well.
I've had my '55 F100 for 45 years. It's on its second engine now; been to B'Ville 4 times; did Shop Truck duty for 10 years, brought both our baby daughters home from the hospital, has had its chassis redone twice, and is STILL in primer!
Wife and I are about to replenish interior, rewire, and all new Auto Meter gauges. (Classic)
Sorry pics were not added.
Rocker was only partially replaced on driver side.
Little bit of paint and some aging and looks like it has always been that way.
My '53 in 1980
Nice job on the sheet metal repair. Looks like a fun project.
Separate names with a comma.