Register now to get rid of these ads!

new project (47 plymouth build)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pugs, Feb 1, 2010.

1. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

with the snow here didnt get time to hang out in the garage today but did just ran out and snapped a few pics, of course camera was going dead
    you can see i took out what was left of the front floor section. you can see like a piece of track like-looking metal i will be using for my new floor supports once i get my rockers from the machine shop and installed. also you will notice the area i started taking the paint off with a paperwheel on the grinder. i will be removeing whats left of the rain gutters and welding 1/4" roundbar to fill the gap

SANY0835.JPG

SANY0838.JPG

SANY0839.JPG

SANY0840.JPG

2. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

igot the rest of the black paint off the driverside, all but the pass. door windows out and started rilling in where the rain gutter was

SANY0852.JPG

SANY0863.JPG

SANY0857.JPG

3. Mr63

Mr63
    from Gilbert Az

Nice keep on keepin on.

4. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

well i didnt want to sit inside all day with the all this freaking snow around here, so I dug out a path to the garage and made some progress on getting the paint off the car, i have about 1/2 the roof and alittle onthe trunklid yet, amazed i didnt hit any previuos body work or lead, but its looking better compared to when i 1st brought the car home. will get pics tomorrow

5. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

Good luck...................Rich

6. 6berry

6berry

good to see another p15 on the board. looks like your off to a good start. the way i did my rockers was with thick ass 2x3" angle iron and a piece of 3/4" box on top to connect to the 3/4" floor structure that I made. tho i probably would have went with the same way as you if i had a brake.

7. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

here are a few more progress pics and a shot of the rusted crossmember. all the freaking snow he had here delayed on getting the rockers this week

SANY0872.JPG

SANY0874.JPG

SANY0875.JPG

SANY0876.JPG

8. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

got a call from the metal shop this afternoon that my rockers were done.
    also had a piece made up for an inner rocker. i did get the rocker tacked in place and also got a piece tacked in on the lower 1/4 just about the rocker will get pics later
    outer
    SANY0878.JPG
    inner
    SANY0882.JPG
    both together
    SANY0889.JPG

SANY0898.JPG

9. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

couple more pics of the lower 1/4 patch panel

SANY0902.JPG

SANY0904.JPG

10. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

of course now i need to buy a new grinder as mine took a sh#t

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool to see you making progress, (kickin' ass I might add!). Keep on it, get it done. I've been driving mine as an everyday for almost twenty years now - most comfortable car I've owned. You'll love this thing when it's done. I gotta say that I forget what east coast rust looks like though... I whined when I had to replace about 6 square inches of drivers side floor!

12. farmer12

farmer12

:)Looking great, any more pics of the '47?

13. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

ill get more pics tomorrow. i have a couple more hours on the d/s rocker and it will be all welded in. its hard to get any good pics of it inthe garage as im kind of cramped up in a small garage. Id push it out but still have about a foot and 1/2 of snow in front of the garage

14. nutajunka

nutajunka

Man your moving along at a great pace, keep going!

15. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

its alittle slow going. only getting a few hours here and there in the garage. got the lower 1/4 and cowl to rocker welded up along with the lower cowl area

16. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

Looks like you are making quick progress. I have a huge soft spot for early Mopars. My first car was a 47 Plymouth 2dr sedan

17. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

some update pics. driverside rocker is all about in. sitll have a alittle here to get fine tuned but cando that after i have the other side in and body off the chassis

SANY0926.JPG

SANY0927.JPG

SANY0941.JPG

SANY0942.JPG

SANY0943.JPG

18. Mr63

Mr63
    from Gilbert Az

Wow! looking good dude!

19. skidsteer

skidsteer

A group of us sometimes get together for breakfast in HAMBurg. If you need a hand with some heavy work, or just want us to come by and BS, post a "HAMB and scrapple" thread.

20. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

Man your kicking ass on that. My old man spent more than a year getting his 47 convert together.

21. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

been busy with other things the past few days hope to jump back on it late today yet and work on getting the passengerside rocker up in place and tacked it. still kicking around what im going to do as far as a front frame clip or build a new chassis for it.

22. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

got the passengerside rear fender off, door apart, and rocker in today, will get pics tomorrow. trying to figure the best way to layout my floor and body supports.

23. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

ok finally got some time to mess with the car this evening. the freaking snow was holding me. got the m/t out and got he car turned around. as you see in the pics the front crossmember and frame passengerside rail back a few inches is rusted out badly. so i will be clipping the front from a 98 s-10, getting the whole frame cheap. so after i cleaned up my mess fromunder the car i got back in the garage and cut off the front suspension off.(will get more pics tomorrow)

SANY0945.JPG

SANY0948.JPG

SANY0951.JPG

SANY0949.JPG

24. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

been busy with other things the past week, had to scratched the s-10 clip as the guy changed his mind on selling now. so i came across (i know) a pacer clip, hey it was cheap and i can use the original wheels on the front. now i did narrow it 4" which keeps real close to stock tract width, and going to use a pinto rack which i picked up today. good thing is the pinto tie rods ends match perfectly to the amc. have to double ck but i think i can use rotors and spindles from a hornet which mite even bring the wheels in alittle more. i still have to weld some plate on the clip tomorrow for extra strength and cut off some of the extra metal off the clip that i dont need, but will reenforce it up with in some places. once all thats done i will start on the chassis. pics to come soon

25. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

a few pics I promised. also going to change things up abit and use 3x3 box tubing into the original frame and up to the pacer sub

SANY0955.JPG

SANY0956.JPG

SANY0957.JPG

SANY0959.JPG

26. 75cj5

75cj5

Thanks for the motivation. My ride needed rockers, cowl repair and floor replaced in sections. After reading your posts and progress, I went out this week and started cutting out the rot and now trying to build replacement panels rather than buying new ones. Keep the pics coming, It's looking good so far and I look forward to seeing your progress. Good luck!

27. Lucky Devil

Lucky Devil

Keep up the fast pace and that thing will be done by May. Awesome. Keep those pics coming.

28. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

thanx guys its alittle slow going trying to figure everything and doing it correctly the 1st time. i did make some mounts for the steering rack and i believe it will be ok the way i have it set up

SANY0979.JPG

SANY0982.JPG

29. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

messing around alittle on the car, cut more of the frame rails out lastnite.
    as you can the front part of the frame was really bad. slowly working on getting part of the new 2x4 rails mocked up today will get more pics then.

View attachment 936990

View attachment 936991

30. BEAR

BEAR

cant wait to see it done. man i love them plymouth