Register now to get rid of these ads!

New project: 41 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol'chevy, Jul 15, 2013.

1. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Just drug back an origional 41 Ford from Fla. It was bought new by the owner's grandfather. It is in great shape, needs going through. He likes the idea of updating to make a good daily driver, but wants to keep it origional appearing. It has a 59BA flathead that he would like to warm up and dress up. We are going to add overdrive, disc brakes, Vintage air, rewire, etc. All chrome will be redone and all stainless will be polished.

My questions:
    1. What are the likenesses/ differences in the 41 vs the 40s ( mechanically, coachwork, accessories, etc.)

2. flathead recipies......warm it up and style it up, but keep it reliable for a daily driver.

3. Rearend swaps....it is stock right now, looking at something along an Explorer with disc brakes/ limited slip.

4 Qwerks and reccommendations for the rest of the suspension/ running gear?

He already has a Master Power front disc kit/ dual master for the straight axle.

I will post pictures later.

2. We put a 98 Explorer rear in my dad's 41 sedan. We used a parallel spring kit from Chassis engineering. As far as the front suspension you can reverse the eyes, take out some leaves and add longer shackles to lower the stock front, and add tube shocks all the way around. as for the overdrive trans , I recommend an s-10 t5 5 spd. The 41 shares the same front axle as a 40 and the brakes are also the same. The frame is different than the 40. engine, trans, rear etc are pretty much all the same. Most parts on the 41's interchange with the 42-48 fords, but not the 40. There are definitely some unique features to a 41 and it also depends on build date (early vs late)
    Matt

3. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Thanks. I am putting together several scenarios for the owner, from basic upgrades to engine and brakes, to full blown roadstershop chassis swap and Ford crate Coyote engine. The outside appearance will remain stock, though.

4. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Here she is loaded and ready to go .....
    [​IMG]

5. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

6. FarmRod

FarmRod

The flathead in my 41 fires up and runs smoother than my new vehicles...and they sound nasty with a straight pipe crackle... these cars really benifit from front and rear pan hard bars...

7. FarmRod

FarmRod

good looking rig!!

8. monkeyodoom

monkeyodoom
    from Arkansas

If you do a rear end swap with the explorer rear end could you post pics of the process. I've got a 41 myself and I'm looking at the same swap. Already got the explorer rear end. Just saving up some money for the suspension kit from chassis engineering. Plus I'm a bit gun shy on doing this swap since i've never done this kinda thing before. Guess i just need to suck it up and do it.:D

BTW great looking car.

9. monkeyodoom- don't be gun shy, I did an explorer rear with the chassis eng. kit and
    everything went great. no problems. great kit

10. brady1929

brady1929

11. Is that in original condition? If so can't imagine it being so bad to drive? Give the suspension a birthday, install a dropped axle and some creature comforts and drive it! I agree nothing sounds like a flathead with the right exhaust.

12. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I need another center speaker grille, anyone know of one?

13. I may have a pitted one with a couple of lugs missing if you get really stuck. I think you'll get a better one in your part of the globe.

14. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I want to split it and use each half to hide A/C vents on the sides of the dash.

I haven't driven it yet as it has no brakes and I have a 53 chevy truck in the garage getting a drivetrain swap.