Register now to get rid of these ads!

New project 38 plyumouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaco, Mar 31, 2012.

1. jaco

jaco

Allright I just returned from getting this car from 47coupeR in CT. Long trip from Alabama but I think it was worth it. I have been looking for a Plymouth coupe for a while and I think this one will work.
    I met 47coupeRs father, brother and uncle Friday and bought the car. Great people. Thanks Glen.
    Drivetrain and frame is complete with a small block Mopar,auto trans and 81/4 rear. Body is pretty solid with some bodywork needed before paint. Trim is like new and everything is here.
    Maybe lower it a little more in the front and get the rear down to a nice rake. I have a set of Bonnieville saltflat wheels that will look just right on it. Thinking old style hot rod.
    What do you think? Suggestions welcome.
    Here's a few pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Cool one. Needs some thin bumpers IMHO. What trans? What suspension, stock IFS? And what does the steering look like under the hood? That's always the issue on early Mopars, wondering how it was handled.

3. Jen......

Jen......

very nice looking car

Jen

4. Fedman

Fedman

Great Start,
    Really like the Grille, headlight area.
    Good luck with your build!

5. jaco

jaco

Thanks guys. I think this will make a good looking ride. It has an auto trans in it and a Fatman IFS under it. The work that is done already looks top notch. The steering still has to be done but it should not be a problem.

6. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

front height looks good; get the rear down. '48 Dodge deep green, and drive.

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

its beauty , i like it ,

9. jaco

jaco

It also came with NEW bumpers that I will mount closer than stock to the body and use.
    [​IMG]

10. jaco

jaco

Hey Dj
    The 48 panel in the background is going to be my Harley service truck. It will be two tone orange on the top of the beltline and black on the bottom with old style flames all the way back and old style Harley service signs on the panels. It will have a wall built behind the rear seat and racks in the back with old Harley parts and boxes that I can find.
    [​IMG]

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Front looks great, but lower the back to just slightly higher than the front and the stance will be perfect. Very nice old Mopar!

12. n847

n847

Looks like a solid find!

13. jaco

jaco

Wow I spelled that wrong. Should have been Plymouth. O well probably won't be the last time.

14. raidmagic

raidmagic

I Love it!!! Great looking car.

15. skidsteer

skidsteer

Move the wipers from the roof to the cowl, put the headlights on the fenders instead of on the radiator, will make it look lower. DO NOT chop it, the proportion of the roof to the body is perfect as it came from the factory.

16. jaco

jaco

I agree on the wipers but I like the lights on the side of the grill. On late 38s the lights were mounted lower and if I can find some of these mounts I would like that better. I also like the look of the top on the car and will not chop it.

17. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Nice coupe! I've got it's fat friend...

[​IMG]

18. jaco

jaco

Wow digging both cars

19. farmer12

farmer12

Great start for a cool car.

20. azteca48

azteca48
    from washington

Nice ride. I'm working on a 38 sedan can you post up some pics on the how they did the front suspension? Trying to get mine going.

21. 41 C28

41 C28

Cool old Mopar. I wouldn't mess with the location of anything. Would drop the rear end a little and run the bumpers for some protection.

22. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Any progress on this?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. riskybiz

riskybiz

Hi I have a 38 2dr touring sedan. And as Jaco said the later 38's had the head lights down and back from the early 38's.
    I think if you drop the rear about 3 inches would give the coupe a better stance. Just my .02 cents.