Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Project! 1961 GMC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fsae0607, May 30, 2012.

1. fsae0607

fsae0607

I took a day off of work today and installed a set of Brockman Mellowtone steel-packed mufflers (18" overall length).

I gotta say they sound loud, total night & day difference! This is temporary until I do my frame-off build, where I'll route the exhaust out the back. I'm loving the unique sound these GMC V6's make.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  2. tommyduncan

tommyduncan

Nice truck! Any updates?
    I have a 62 ¾ton that sat for 10 years. It's basically my daily driver. I'm in Henderson too. If you need any parts I have 3 spare motors.

3. fsae0607

fsae0607

Thank you!

I've been driving the hell out of it, rapping the pipes every chance I get! Love those Brockmans!

Nothing yet, just going to do some basic maintenance to get it ready for the drive to Viva next month.

After that, I'm going to start planning to build a 327 for it, just gotta get the engine block out of my dad's storage. Also I want to track down a Mopar A-833 tranny from the pick-a-part or ebay or something.

Thanks for the offer, I really want a 327 for it now. Trying to build up and get performance out of that V6 is just not economically feasible for me, with a baby on the way.

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Hello fsae0607
    I just came across your thread again and I gotta say, your troka is looking real fine. I am considering painting my truck the same Fathom Green.

5. fsae0607

fsae0607

Thanks! It's an awesome shade of green. I've also changed my mind on the hot rod flatz. I've seen quite a few 58-62 Chevy and GMC trucks lately with shiny paint and all of the grillwork and bumpers chromed, and it looks bitchin' at night under street lights. I'm keeping the same green/white scheme. Hopefully when I'm ready they'll have the paint in water-base, since I want to spray it in my garage. Car Craft ran a tech article a while back on how to convert your garage into a spray booth.

Anyone going to Viva next month? I'm driving the old girl there!

6. fsae0607

fsae0607

Some pics of my truck from the Viva 17 car show last week:

I played it safe and towed it again this year, since my plans to drive up with a caravan fell through.

[​IMG]

Unhitched, ready to drive to the show.
    [​IMG]

On Tropicana Ave, driving to the Orleans.
    [​IMG]

Thursday night in the car show area:
    [​IMG]

At the show:
    [​IMG]

Great show this year, met a few HAMBers. Looking forward to the Roadshow Revival (AKA Johnny Cash Show) in Ventura in a few months.

7. sodly

sodly
    from middle

Hate to burst anyone's bubble but I'm pretty sure that's not original paint. The body-color hubcaps and wrong-color V6 emblem were big clues but when I saw the green interior on your video I was convinced that it's been resprayed at some point along the line. I'm not up on my '61 GMC colors as to whether that's a factory color or not but they did not come that way from GMC.

That said, it's still a pretty cool and unusual color. I wouldn't do anything but buff it and find some correct, white GMC hubcaps and white wheels. IMO it would be a mistake to put a SBC in that thing!

8. fsae0607

fsae0607

It is factory color, but as far as original paint, maybe? I think it is. It's still good overall. I'm going to buff it this summer when I get the time.

Yeah I get a bit of ribbing for the SBC route, but what I decided to do is still build my 327, but my 305 will be a R&D side project. As time and funds allow, I'm going to try and hop up the old V6. In the way future, the built 305 will go back in. Don't worry, the 305 isn't going anywhere!

9. quakerchevelle

quakerchevelle
    from Sin City

Saw your truck at Viva. Very cool I have a '61 shortbed fleet in the shop wrenching on it right now. Mine will be there next year!

fsae0607 likes this.
  10. fsae0607

fsae0607

A few more shots from the Roadshow Revival/Johnny Cash Show a few weeks ago...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. fsae0607

fsae0607

So, after quite a few years, I’m back. Since my last post in this thread, my Dad passed away and my son was born. I put my ‘61 on the back burner. I drove it around here and there, but let it sit for about a year and a half.

Now, my son is five and interested in hanging out with daddy in the shop. I took him for a ride yesterday and he loved it. Looks like I planted the hot rod bug in him.

Now that he can help me, I want to build a budget SBC with him and pop it in. The Jimmy V6 is getting hopped up with a 4-71 blower for sure. Everything will need to be custom made, so that SBC will be in while we hop up the V6.

Next week my little helper will take off the seats so my wife can measure and make seat covers for me with Mexican blankets.

Glad to be back here. I missed it. Guess I had to wait while fatherhood kicked in. It’s a new saga now. History repeats itself, since I have great memories wrenching with my Dad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app