Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Project: 1953 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

That is one fine Olds, always loved the look of the 50s Olds but unfortunately never had one. See if you can find an Olds forum on line and they will have lots of info on your valve train noise. I remember that the Olds all tended to have that issue and the fix is most likely not that costly to repair. My guess is there is no reason for an engine rebuild
    Do a compression check and that will give you a good indication of the true condition of the engine.
    Good luck with your new car and enjoy the Ride

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

2. shadams

shadams

Still looking good...I've got that same steering wheel but in black. I havent even driven mine in a couple months, so damn hot right now. Good luck with your recovery...

3. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Finally got around to lowering the back end to match the front. It looks so much better to me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On another note, and have been daily driving this thing for about a solid month with no issues. I'm probably pushing my luck with the lifter noise, but I can't afford the rebuild right now. Figure I might as well enjoy it till it blows up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. BJR

BJR

Put a little auto trans fluid in the engine oil. The high detergent of the trans fluid will clean the lifters and quiet them down. That's what we did back in the 60's.

5. Looking good with the lowering blocks.

6. FlatJan

FlatJan

much better than the rake you started with

7. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Thanks all!

One more quick post. I finally figured out the steering wheel thing. Just need to find a horn button for it. Or make one, but that's work...
    [​IMG]

Also cleaned up the chrome and crappy fake white walls. The tires on the car are good, so I can't justify new whites yet. I might pick up some new portawalls for now.

[​IMG]

And finally, I built a little center console for it. Nothing fancy, but now I can listed to some music and set my drink down.

[​IMG]

mario711, Król and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  8. steering wheel looks great. horn buttons are around on the net. I needed one for my project. paid as much for it as you did for the wheel. Most have the bowtie on them. Impala won't work as they are a bit larger and the legs are horizontal.

9. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

10. ask for the measurements and I can compare to mine. The feet look right and it is from a 64 so you might get lucky

11. I blew up the pic of the bottom and it has three legs.....you need the button with two to fit right. Here is a pic of mine
    button.jpg

notice that the feet do not protrude like in the Olds unit.

12. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Gotcha, thanks for the picture. I really want to run an Olds center, but may not have much of a choice. I wonder how hard it would be to force fit an Olds one.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Stance does look better; however, I suggest you take a second look at the new "scrub line". You want to be sure
    nothing hangs below the bottom of the wheel in the event of a flat tire. It appears that the lower shock mount
    and longer U-bolts are well below. At least cut off the excess threads of the bolts.

14. The feet on those horn buttons are held on with a small rivet. I will take a pic of the one I have for reference and post it for you.

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Did you read the ten or so posts that mentioned valve train noise is a common issue with Olds engines, and all it requires is inspection and replacement of the rocker arms and rocker stands? It's a 3 hour job in the garage. No rebuild needed.

Great looking Olds btw. Looks so much better lowered.

16. I pulled my button off and discovered that someone had JB Welded the clips on which would indicate that you may be able to do the same thing with the Olds unit if it is the correct diameter for the horn ring. Here are some pics
    100_6131.JPG 100_6132.JPG 100_6133.JPG 100_6134.JPG

Hope this helps you out.

17. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I have seen a few threads about that. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

18. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

That'll be a huge help. Thanks!

19. belair

belair

Neat car. Keep pecking away at the issues. Is it still leaking oil? Listen to the Olds guys about those rockers.

20. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Yeah, still leaking pretty bad. I got the main leak from the intake fixed, so I can at least go cruising locally. But after a few days there's a huge oil slick in my garage. I just top off the oil every week for now.

21. Horn shmorn...you need to fix those clickity rockers. I found a brand new set of 16 rockers, pedestals, everything for less than 160 bucks with free shipping for your 455. It'll run better, sound quiet and you won't EVEN be talking of blowing it up. Summit has 'em.
    I've seen guys run those worn rockers 'till the aluminum rocker pedestals broke in half...don't be one of those guys.

22. belair

belair

And find that oil leak. It is most likely the oil pan, rear main, rocker arm covers, or back of the intake. Don't let it sneak up on you and ruin that engine.

23. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Sadly, I've never done rocker arms before. My engine experience is pretty limited. Ripped a few apart, never put one back together. If it's something a beginner can do, I'll order the rockers next week. I can't afford to pay someone to do it right now.

24. Basic stuff really...time to get your hands greasy!

25. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

So, been reading up on it. Looks pretty easy, but I was hoping for some clarification...

Do I have to replace the push rods at the same time?

Also, as long as there's no load on the valve springs, it's pretty much just unbolt, replace, and torque down, correct?

Does it need to be done two rockets at a time? (Intake and exhaust)

Thanks as always.

Dave Downs likes this.
  26. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Story time!

Not that interesting, but mildly funny. Got home the other day and saw a large oil spill around the passenger tire. Worked on it today assuming it was the brake cylinder. Got the car jacked up, and everything was coated in oil, leaf springs, rear end, everything.

I start by checking the lines, which are dry, and so are the drums. I follow the fluid to the top of the tire, which didn't make any sense... and then it hit me. I popped the trunk to find an oil can spilled all over.

I like an easy fix.

Anyway, could still use some confirmation on my last post about the rocker arms. I'd appreciate any information you guys can give.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.The

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  27. should not present much of an issue. do you have a motor manual for that 455 olds engine. it would give you the specs on the lash. You could do one cyl at a time. Pull the plugs, roll the engine around till the cyl is on it's comp stroke and the cam is on the bottom of the base circle (opposite the cam lobe), put some assembly lube on the tip of the rocker arms,replace the rockers, set the lash, go to the next cyl etc.
    Warm up the engine and adjust like in this video

Should get you going.
    Notice in the video that they have a set of valve covers with the tops cut open. This helps control the oil from getting all over everything.

28. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

So, minor update. Sprung a bad coolant leak, so I had a friend take care of a bunch of things. Front main seal, all the water pump gaskets, and the rocker arms.

Unfortunately, the engine tick is still there and as loud as ever. I can't justify doing the lifters because my friend isn't convinced that's the noise. I think a rebuild is the best option, but I just don't have the money right now. Hell, I had to sell off my truck because medical bills are getting the better of me. But, fortunately the Olds is doing well enough to be daily driven.

29. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

So, I've been getting ready for the Round Up for the last month. I've gone through and done a bunch of work. In the last month, I have replace the fuel pump, cleaned the fuel lines, swapped the air and fuel filter, replaced the intake gasket (again), fixed the rear brakes, replaced the front rotors and pads, changed out the wheel bearings on all four corners, and repainted the wheels.

So get this... a few months ago I was asking about the rocker arms because of the engine noise I had. I have been chasing this noise for over a year. I've been told that it could be anything from lifters to the fuel pump.

It was none of that. When I pulled the intake off, I found a little block off plate for the intake in the heads on both sides. It was freaking rattling. I threw some RTV on it, and now everything is quiet.

I hate posts without pictures, so I'll try to get a few up later.