Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Project: 1953 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 13, 2016.

1. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Everything is up and running. Just putting the interior back together now.

Is it dumb that I’m excited about having a bunch of little crap working that wasn’t before?

I finally have reverse lights! They weren’t hooked up before.
    IMG_2960.JPG

Also have all of the interior courtesy lights working now, including one for the ignition that had I no idea about.
    IMG_2971.JPG

Working on carpet now. Decided to go with dark blue. I’m going to ditch the black on the door panels eventually. I want to go dark blue for the door panels and seats with off white accents.
    IMG_2970.JPG

Until next time!

2. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

LOOKING GOOD!
    Nope!
    It's the little stuff that makes or breaks a vehicle.

Getting a dash to be fully illuminated, or fixing a feature always makes a vehicle that much more enjoyable to drive.

EnragedHawk, Hombre, AndersF and 2 others like this.
  3. I was lucky with my harness, only had one wire hooked up wrong out of 50 and an easy fix. And I also like that everything works, a big accomplishment for you.

EnragedHawk and loudbang like this.
  4. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Finally wrapped up the interior tonight. Been gone a couple of days (anniversary 15 years).

The carpet looks ok in pictures, but I don’t like how it laid down. It’s just outdoor carpet from Home Depot, so guess I can’t expect much. It was cheap. At least it’s not moldy and gross. Can always swap it later.

Very glad to be done with this major project. It’s been a long time coming. I’ll get it off of stands tomorrow and clean Baloo and the garage up. Hopefully take some better pictures.

IMG_2990.JPG
    IMG_3002.JPG

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

This time next year, after going thru a year of heat cycles in Texas, it will lay down better!

loudbang and EnragedHawk like this.
  6. The carpet is a vast improvement over what you had.

7. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

So close!

Everything works great, except Baloo can no longer idle properly. Carb is leaking fuel all over. Such wonderful timing.

IMG_3015.JPG

Barely made it down the road and back. Every time I came to a stop, the car would sputter out and die. I’ll get the carb rebuilt soon. Next week hopefully.

I know Ls swaps are fighting words here, but it keeps looking better and better.

8. BJR

BJR

Just say NO to LS swaps!

9. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

While waiting to get the carb rebuilt, I might as well start taking care of some oil leaks.

I picked up a set of valve covers a while back cheap, but they don’t have an oil breather port. About to show off my ignorance, does that matter? Mine leaks anyway. I’d just as soon not have it.

If I run these, color recommendations? I’m not leaving them green.
    IMG_3035.JPG

10. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Still running the Q-Jet?
    Check the screws holding the upper body on, they tend to back out with age.
    Finger tighten them, don't crank them down too hard. If the gasket has deteriorated it will no longer be able to properly seal. Quick ghetto fix would be to pull the upper screws out and wrap the threads in some teflon tape. This will keep the screws from backing out and if the gasket isn't completely toast will keep the fuel from leaking.
    An Gen I SBC would be an easier swap, and it would still be a PITA since you would still need to find SBC mount brackets, PS,AC,Alt brackets, and all that ancillary stuff. And decide what to do about a transmission.
    Gen III, IV, V SBC only came in EFI with no distributor. Keeping it EFI or a carb conversion would require more modifications and more money.
    Just fix the small stuff on the BBO and you will be much happier.
    Plus BBO Torque is addictive.
    Those are early SBO valve coves.
    I'd relist them and sell them to someone who needs factory 64-66(?) valve covers. To make the PCV system work properly with those you will need the matching intake manifold.
    Vent breather is different than typical GEN II SBO engines as well, has an extra port on it.

Cheapest set you should be able to find are any 70s blue or 80's black VCs, they all have the center ports punched out. There are 'OLDSMOBILE' stamped onto '73 models.
    Late 60's early 70s will be painted gold or red, and people will try and claim they are '442' or 'H/O' or unobtanium. Nothing special about any of them, save for the 'Oldsmobile' ones which are just neat.
    307 Oldsmobiles switched to 5 hole from 10 hole covers.
    Victor Reinz Rubber/Cork gasket is the best. It's thick and the rubber/cork compound doesn't fall apart like the crappy rubber or the thin cork.

With engine tin, before you install a new gasket and install them, make sure the VCs sit flat on the heads. Take the pooches out of the bolt holes, get the rails on the valve cover flat to the head so there is no rocking or clicking then the VCs will no longer leak. Use a dab of your preferred goo to keep the gaskets attached to the VCs.

EnragedHawk, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  11. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Got my carb rebuilt and I’m finally back on the road! Damn it feels good to be driving Baloo again.
    0BB3C934-1FC8-49A4-A973-F15F7911738B.jpg

I repainted the steering wheel with some appliance epoxy. Came out really nice.
    IMG_3267.JPG

A few little updates for now. I sold my 54 Chevy a few days ago.

IMG_3131.JPG

I got enough money to do some really cool shit with the Olds, however… a really good opportunity has come up on an OT car. Like, REALLY good. I’d be an idiot to pass it up. So that’s likely where the money is going.

As much as I wanted to do the interior, I’m still going to tote my dogs everywhere, so might as well stick with what I’ve got.

Anyway, my kid and I are headed to a local cars and coffee tomorrow. He’s stoked about showing off his bike (we just threw an engine on it).
    IMG_3286.JPG

If the OT car falls through, I’ll let you guys know what happens with the interior. Thanks for all the help as always. You guys are amazing.

12. BJR

BJR

A 53 Olds 88 was the first cool car my dad owned when I was a kid. I loved that car. His was a 4dr, but a 2dr ht is the best. Love your car!:)

13. That’s definitely not your father’s Oldsmobile.

14. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Why am I such a F*** up? Should have left it alone. Nope. Didn’t.

Went to swap valve cover gaskets. Two bolts I knew about were broken off. Tried to drill on out and couldn’t get it to tap. Now I have a gaping hole. How screwed am I?

I figure absolute worst case scenario, I left those two bolts out. They haven’t had a head on them in a couple years, but it irritates the hell out of me.

IMG_3329.JPG

15. BJR

BJR

Helicoil is your friend. Buy a kit that will get you back to the size of the other valve cover bolts.

16. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Never tried those before, amazing call. Thank you!
    IMG_3339.JPG

17. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You know that is a really good looking car, if you just shut off those gawd awful lights under it!

18. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Thanks I know the lights are very 1999 Fast and Furious when I’m sitting over here 1953 Slow and Mellow. I try not to post pictures with them regularly since they’re OT.

210superair likes this.
  19. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

The front end view of that car is sik, love it.

I must agree tho, next time I get to Texas I'm gonna sneak over at night and break those lights! Lol...

Kids bike looks awesome too, tell him good job. My kid is too lazy to pedal, maybe that's the ticket....

EnragedHawk and Jim Bouchard like this.
  20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Keep posting those pictures and that could get the thread shut down, don't want that to happen!

EnragedHawk likes this.
  21. Helicoils often save the day. There are over-size ones too if you get into REAL trouble which is 2 insert, an inner and outer. Next option is time-certs of keen-serts.

22. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Not much of an update, but I got off work and picked up new valve covers from Summit. I didn’t want to mess with trying to bend mine back into shape or risk another leak.

Currently the only shiny part under the hood.
    IMG_3366.JPG
    IMG_3367.JPG

Would have preferred black, but I got the cheapest thing I could find.

Oh, and I don’t think I mentioned this particular order yet, but I’m finally getting some side pipes. Been wanting them for years!

IMG_3368.JPG

They should be here tomorrow. I’m all about functionality, so they will be hooked up. I’m already straight piped out the back, so I figure it won’t be too much louder.

210superair, Hombre, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  23. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

24. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

When you get those side pipes mounted, you're going to have to start posting videos instead of pics!

EnragedHawk and bobss396 like this.
  25. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Just finished! Aaaaand I’m shooting flames. Oh well. Gotta get pulled over eventually.

F26D5465-E051-4729-AE15-02CD0BDCADBE.jpg

I’ll try to get some videos posted soon!

26. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

27. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

megusta.jpg
    Outstanding!

As a kid Bullitt and MadMax had the two best audio tracks for that V8 burble.
    Baloo joins those ranks.

With that tease, now you have to do a night vid to show the flames.

Funnily, the side pipes will act as an air fence under the car. This will improve heat extraction from underhood, and since the exhaust is not under the car, will also improve cabin cooling.
    Unintentional improvements while making Baloo even more awesome.

And you were thinking of doing a Gen III-V swap...:rolleyes::p:D

loudbang and EnragedHawk like this.
  28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  29. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Funny you mention mad max, I have wanted side pipes since I was a kid because of that movie!

loudbang likes this.
  30. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

The link should work even if you don’t have Instagram. How about a Facebook link?

https://www.facebook.com/1286021457/posts/10222124873372600/?d=n

I’ll get it on YouTube eventually, but want to have more than just the sound clip in the video when the time comes.

loudbang, 210superair and dehartcarl like this.