Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Project: 1953 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 13, 2016.

1. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

So, I'm about to pick up a new project. Some of you might remember my 55 panel: [​IMG]

I had a build thread on it here for a while. It got pretty off topic, so the thread got canned eventually.

Long story short, I hit some major burn out. I lost interest in it and sold it off. I don't regret it yet, but I'm sure I will eventually. Till then, I'm moving on to my new rebound chick.

I happened to park next to the guy I'm buying it from at LSRU in April. I fell in love with it, but wasn't ready to part with my panel yet.

Anyway, I'm picking the car up next week. We agreed on a price and I'm just finalizing a few things. Honestly, I'm paying too much for the car, but I like it a lot. It's not another 55 210 or any of the other cliche cars you see at every show. Plus, I can just hop in and drive it while I work on it.

Current plan is to just fix little things here and there. It desperately needs a brake booster, so that'll be first. I'd like to eventually chop and bag it, but that's a ways down the line.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone know where to get a booster for it?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

That's a very pretty car.

poss51kustom and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

4. Great car, many parts are similar to 1951-1953 Buick Special

5. 53choptop

53choptop

Great looking car... I saw your panel on craigslist a few times, that was a cool looking cruiser too.

As far as booster goes, boosters for this year Olds, if it has not been upgraded, it is the canister under-the-pedal type booster; my advise, coming from experience, would be upgrade to a new run of the mill firewall mounted dual MC and booster style, the original ones you will find out there are mostly all rebuilds or re-sleeved, or you will have to have yours rebuilt or re-sleeved, with what you will spend on the original booster, you can get a newer kit. If you you still want to go that route,
    cadillacpartsltd.com rebuilds them, and Fusick and Kanter may have rebuild kits. I have had my Olds for 20 years and have turned every stone to get most parts on it.

It looks like you have a pretty cool and complete 53, if you ever have any questions, let me know.

Attached Files:

6. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

That's a damn nice car!

Cutlas Fan likes this.
  7. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

8. And wonder of wonders; no SBC! It actually as an Olds engine in it! A real 455 Rocket Torque Monster?
    If so, you qualify to purchase Kathy Matteas great hit, "455 Rocket". Check it out on U-Tube....
    (And don't forget to join the quiet group over on the Rocketeers sub-forum.)

Yes, you will enjoy having something different; the early Olds were really cool, THE very first American
    muscle car, IMO; but often overlooked today.
    The big reaction, however, will come when you lift that hood - "Yowza!"
    (Last, but not least, you will have a bonified early, mild custom simply by getting that
    rear-end down where it belongs. Actually, the best of both worlds; a sleeper custom.)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  9. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I haven't checked out the brakes just yet. It's definitely under the floor. It feels as if there's no booster at all right now. The front flip has been swapped, so it has discs up front. Don't those require more pressure for stopping?

If it has no booster, I figure I'll need to get a proportioning valve as well.

aussie57wag and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Haha, I'll have to check out the song! And yes, the 455 was a big selling point for me. I like that it's not an sbc, and I've always wanted something with a big block in it.

11. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

And thanks for all the comments guys! I can't wait to get this thing home. I'm headed out of town for a few days, but I'm hopping to have it back in my garage by Tuesday next week!

Cutlas Fan and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Beautiful car. Was my first car when I was 16 many years ago. Started my fascination with the Olds I guess. It has never ended. I would be so stoked to have that in my drive way!

Cutlas Fan and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. EnragedHawk. Shes a beauty. If you have the old booster I have an address of a fellow in flordia that rebuilt mine for my 56 buick wagon. Bruce.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I believe the boosters that you have were used till 1960 on Oldsmobile. So you should be able rebuild from another booster. Treadlevacs were used on many cars from 1951 till 1960.
    I would still make sure the booster is good by checking the vacuum going to the booster. If the hose leading to the booster has good vacuum, then check the vacuum check valve located between vacuum hose and the booster. One other check is the air filter on the booster itself. Perhaps your filter is clogged.

If these tests still don't show any abnormal behavior then check out booster repair services, or find another unit and rebuild with parts off the other booster. These boosters are really easy to rebuild.

15. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Got her home today! Going to take care of title and registration in the morning. Took it for a small drive down the street. Look like there's a pretty bad oil leak I didn't see before. Hopefully an easy fix. Also, there's no booster at all, so what does that mean for me? Can I just buy one and throw it on?

[​IMG]

16. This car and motor with a 400 turbo sportin a gearvendors overdrive!!!! I would love it!!!

17. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That is a beautiful car. I love the 455 in it. The 455 in my convertible is awesome. Have fun with this car.

aussie57wag likes this.
  18. Sporty45

Sporty45

Damn, that's a fine looking car, and a big block to boot! Love the color too :cool:
    Good luck with it.

19. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I got under the car the other day. Looks like the back end is going to be a breeze to drop down. I think I've even got the blocks for it already. Just need to pick up some new u bolts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. pecker head

pecker head

21. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Ok, I ran into some trouble today and I could use some help.

Went out for a short drive today, and on the way back about 3 miles from home, radiator fluid starts spray out from under the steering column. The engine wasn't running hot, so I rode it out to get home. The carpet is soaked and I probably lost about a half gallon of coolant. Anyway, I've dried up my spare cash on this car already, so I want to know if I can just loop the heater hoses. Or even just plug up the lines coming from the pump to the back of the intake.

Thanks as always.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I bypassed the heater control valve right after firing up my 53 Olds for the first time,it will work fine without it but will not be able to control the temp of the heat so it will be on or off with nothing in between.

23. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Sure you can loop it temporary, but when you get some spare change you want to make it right, that cars to nice to not have it right, and its going to get cold this winter. LOL

59Fins likes this.
  24. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Thanks guys. I think I might just block off the pump and intake for now. Eventually I'll get it fixed up right, and even add ac. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what all the car has to have to make it dependable. I'm hoping to get it to daily driver status eventually.

To be fair, the car looks good in photos and from 10 feet, but it's far from perfect. Plenty of cracks in the paint and signs of body filler (hopefully not too much). Still, no regrets. I'm loving this car so far.

25. Shes still a nice car.Bruce.

26. By "booster" do you mean like a 6-71? Sure, you can just buy one and throw it on there. (You might need to make a hole in your hood though.) ;)

chryslerfan55 and EnragedHawk like this.
  27. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Haha, man, now you're talking! Maybe some day.

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If you ever want to add a brake booster hang a modern one on the firewall,the originals are expensive to rebuild and might not operate disc brakes if its equipped. My 53 was originally equipped with p/b and converted it to manual,I was looking at adapting a small booster and remote fill master cylinder using the original p/s pedal but never got around to it.