Register now to get rid of these ads!

New project, 1940 Merc Tudor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lrs30, Oct 29, 2014.

1. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414590393.898028.jpg

Well went and did it again, found a super solid 40 Merc on local CL. not sure what the plans are for it yet other than get it to where everything works as it should. Ive already posted some help questions and got some answers but figured I would just compile everything on one here. I got the radiator flushed and checked ready to pop it back in, not sure if I should replace the water pumps or not. One is weeping a little not much. It runs cool down the highway but when idling it got hot so that's why I pulled the radiator and figured it wouldn't hurt. Gonna ditch the shitty corrugated spring lined hoses for a pair of polished stainless ones to help with the flow of coolant, and install some thermostats that it didn't have to begin with.
    Next will be a complete new wiring harness, the O.G. One is shot, so much so I was afraid to even drive the car. Have one ordered hope to get started on it next week.
    Once we get all that addressed comes an altitude adjustment, I really want to get the stance right but not sure I can do it with just a reverse eye spring. Any advice here would be great guys. Should I do a narrower drop axle split bones and new steering arms?
    Plus I'm not sure I am digging the chrome reverse smoothies. I would really like to find some 40 ford rims and some Blackwall Firestones to get a good rubber rake. Also input here is appreciated.
    The interior is nice, not original but not street rodder either. Plan and simple, so it will stay.
    So basically that's it in a nutshell for now, looking for ideas, suggestions, input, keep insults to yourself..had to throw that in there. Its getting close to winter so i plan on hitting it heavy to have it ready come spring. Oh and if you have 3, 40 ford wheels let me know, the car has one in the trunk that is the pristine, I mean I don't ever think its been out of the trunk and on the car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

40fordtudor likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Great looking car! I have always thought the '40 Mercs are beautiful. Congratulations.

Ray

3. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thanks, we are planing on getting everything working and then on to the fun stuff. I'm really finding out just how different from a 40 ford it really is. Still not sure if we will just go with a reverse eye spring, or the whole deal on the front.

4. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Nice car! In your mind you'll change things a thousand times but that car will always look good! Congratulations.

5. FASI

FASI

I have a dropped axle with Spindles, split "bones" mounting bracket and Posie spring for this car. PM for details.

6. belair

belair

Color me green. Really green. Greener than green. Great car. Congrats.

7. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Well fed-ex showed up and got a whole cache of parts! The process of re-wiring has begun. So far so good headlights and engine compartment completed, now on the taillight harness finished up by interior!

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Love it! '40 Merc 2-doors are favorites of mine, and they are rare!

9. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Well it's been busy around here, got the majority of the wiring replaced, should have it finished up tomorrow! The. It will be time to smoke test it lol! Then it's on to wheels and tires! Scored a set if 40 ford wheels for it now I gotta settle on tire sizes! Wanna give it a rubber rake so I am open to all advice and opinions on this matter.

10. missysdad1

missysdad1

Instead of 16" '40 Ford wheels, I'd go with 15" from a '46 - '48 Mercury with the rear ones reversed. Big 'n' little rubber is much easier to come by in radials for 15" wheels and will look more proportionate in the smallish '40 Merc wheel openings. I don't think you'd like bias ply tires on such a large car for very long...cool to look at but not so cool to drive. Ask around before putting your money on the counter.

11. brady1929

brady1929

12. Dude, that's greatness......I too love '40 Mercurys. Score !

13. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Not really looking for the A typical big-n-littles wanna go for the 16" Firestone Champions maybe 6.50 or 7.0 on the rear an maybe a 5.0/5.50 on the fronts. I've had bias plus on a few cars and don't mind the way they drive. The wheels and tires are not horrible that are
    On it now, I just think it would
    Look better if it had a more
    Era correct set. Anybody have profile pics Of they're 37/40 sedan? I'd love to see what you guys are running!

14. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Well got the harness all buttoned up last night, hooked up the battery, pulled the light switch, and wouldn't you know it, the LIGHTS CAME ON! Then figured I'd step on the brake, and BOOM, BRAKE LIGHTS CAME ON! Ok 2 for 2, now for the biggie, hit the start button, and IT CRANKED, AND KEPT ON CRANKING after I let off the button.............. Well atleast I know it is wired right, the contacts in the solenoid must have welded them selves shut after years of shitty wires going to it, it finnaly got full amps running to it! So grabbed a new one, gonna head out today and pop it on and then it will be time to put the radiator back in, new hoses, fluid and start it and see if any other gremlins pop up! So far things are going in the right direction with it.
    The more I climb around this car the more surprised I get on how solid it is, the door gaps are perfect, the floors, trunk, rain gutters, I mean everything is in great shape. And everything has not been messed with for years, a real time capsule if you will. I was wondering if somebody had a pic or pics of what the hub caps and trim rings would have looked like for a 40 Merc. Or if there is a company re-popping them or if a set of originals can be had.. If you have a pic of the right ones please post them up for me. And if you have a set let me know how much your wanting for them..... Thanks guys!

15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Here is a thread concerning the lowering of 39-40 fords. It discusses wheel and tire sizes and also discusses the chassis issues a little bit. Of course your Merc's wheel openings and fenders are different and will have to be taken into consideration when comparing the two types of cars.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lower-the-40-ford.777719/

I have always liked the Mercury Two doors. Yours looks like a very nice one! I hope you have a lot of fun with it and drive the bias plys off of it!