Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Project: 1939 Ford COE

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by vintagehotrods, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Thats what I want to build a hauler for my modified dirt stock car. Keep us posted on your progress.

3. Sorry to hear of the setbacks Jerry!:(

4. I have a 454 with a turbo 400 I'm looking to sell. I'm in California though. Message me if your interested.

5. Yesterday I went to Fargo, ND and picked up my '47 COE cab and a '75 Chevy crew cab long box dually chassis. I met Brad, the seller who had brought the whole works down from Plentywood, MT. He is a life long drag racer who is building a '32 Ford and '27 T hot rod/bracket racer for his daughter and himself. I told him I was glad my money was going to good use. It was a little tricky because the cab is still mounted on the front half of a Dodge pickup chassis but Brad did a great job of loading it all up together. We transferred it to my trailer without any problems. The cab has the best metal of any one I have ever looked at. It has some big dents in the back of the roof/cab that should come out pretty easily and the only rust is in the drivers door skin. The fenders and the rest of the cab are perfect. The Chevy dually chassis is perfectly straight and just lightly surface rusted. Brad had been saving it for 10 years for this kind of project. It has a very unusual rear end that is huge with heavy cast webbing on each side. Brad said he has not ever seen another one like it since he got it. Now the hard part will be to get it off the dually chassis and separated from the Dodge frame stub. Here a few pics.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 1939 Ford COE Project</td></tr></table>

What have I got myself into this time?

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 1939 Ford COE Project</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  6. And how in the world do you unload it!?

7. Two choices:

(A) In my building in Crooks, I have an overhead hoist that is strong enough to lift only the COE cab (thats all I'll trust it to do) off the Dodge stub thats sitting on the Chevy chassis, but it is too high sitting on the trailer so I have to push or unload the Chevy chassis into the building without a winch (it has a bad tire and rolls hard) to do that.

(B) Or go to my friends body shop and use his fork lift to unload the Coe cab/Dodge stub. Then unload the Chevy chassis by backing up to a pole at my Crooks building and pulling it off. Go back and pick up the COE cab/ Dodge stub and back it under the hoist, cut the mounts and hoist the COE cab off. This all depends on if the fork lift can handle it and if the forks are long enough.

Well I guess its time to get out there and try it!

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That is a 41 COE with a 38-39 COE grille panel. The 40 COE grille panel is slightly different than the 38-39 but they all interchange as assemblies even up through 1941-47.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

THIS is the 40 only grille assembly I mentioned earlier. All the COE grille assemblies interchange between 38-47 but there are 4 distinct ones, 38-39, 40, 41 and 42-47.

10. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I would look at a old uhaul or van frame the steering is in the right place. SICK RIDE !!!!!!!!

11. KoolCoe

KoolCoe

love the grabber orange paint job. Thats a night and day difference from your last Coe. Even the fenders look pristine.

12. coe's are cool...would love to tackle one someday...just have to figure out a way to convince the wife that it's cool and the we need one...wish me luck

13. It was quite an ordeal getting it off and separated. It took me about 9 hours getting it cutting everything loose, unbolted, unloaded and separated from the Dodge stub frame over at my building by myself and without a winch. My wife (a saint!) helped as much as I let her but I wanted her to stay clear if anything went wrong. Whew!! First I had to drag it all off the trailer and get it in the building under the hoist. It was a little shaky at times when I took the chains and load binders off that were holding the cab and stub and started lifting it off the Chevy frame. My overhead hoist is bolted to the roof trusses in the building so I didn't want to stress it too much so I took it slow and easy. I couldn't get it balanced right and had to readjust everything about 3 or 4 times to get it to go up evenly, while it was sitting rather precariously on top of the Chevy frame. I ran out of lift to get it high enough to roll the Chevy frame straight out so I floor jacked the frame over sideways out from under it. I ran in to trouble getting it separated from the Dodge stub too, again getting the balance right and undoing the cobbled up mounting system that had it all bound up. Finally about midnight I got it on my rolling cart and everything put away. My first task will be to make a lifting jig/cart to get the cab more stable so I can work underneath it to build new structure to mount the cab on the Chevy frame. It's cobbled up with a lot of angle iron underneath that will have to be removed and then I am planning on using Ford biscuit motor mounts to mount it so the cab will be rubber mounted once I refab it. At least this one is worth the effort and its nice not to have to do major rust repair.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the update, someday i hope to have a 38-40 COE. I keep thinking about the NOS grill that was at the Macungie, Pa swap meet years ago, long before they became popular. If I find a grill the cab will find it.

15. STICKMAN

STICKMAN

I need a 47 COE grille - sent you PM -Thanks

16. Brian.Farris

Brian.Farris

I just bought a 39 coe from a guy in texas. Where do you get your parts for yours ?
    I will probably be needing something for it sooner or later. Brian

17. 067chevy

067chevy

So where's the pictures? Let see it.

18. Here's the link to Austrailian Hamber willysbill website that has all the links to anyone that makes repro parts for COE trucks:

http://reprocoeparts.bravehost.com/Index.html

Here's the link to the entire website. You'll spend hours looking at all the COE's on this site.

http://ozcoetrucks.bravehost.com/Index.a.html

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Does anyone have any thoughts about putting a COE cab on a 1998 Ford E-350 chassis?

20. Did you look through all 27 pages of the "can we start a COE picture thread?" here? It sure seems like I've seen someone who has done it before. Here's the link if you haven't seen it:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219018

21. What a great find, Love the 39 Grille on youre 41 exactly what I am doing to mine, I have just managed to find and purchase a pair of 95HP Oval Emblems that go on the side of the Cowl of a 39 COE.
    Now for the Patch Panels, if you go to the Repro Page on my Web Site
    http://ozcoetrucks.bravehost.com/Index.a.html you will find the link to Northern Classics and others that reproduce parts for early Fords and Chevy COE's
    I have about 1600 photo's of 38-47 Ford COE on my computer so trying to figure out which Red COE ramp truck could take a while, do you have any small photo's of that Truck as a sample of what to look for.

Seeya
    Bill
    PS will send you a PM shortly

22. This is the COE that planted the bug in my brain about 6 years ago. I saw it at the Roadsters Swap Meet in Minneapolis and have been searching for some pics of it ever since then. Thanks to Dale (thewildturkey46), who gave me the original owners and builders names and contact information and Derrick (38 Ford Guy - who also owns a '38 COE), who sent me this picture. Now I can actually see what I have been dreaming about the last 6 years. This is pretty close to what I would like to build. willysbill, this is the one I was thinking of but never had a pic of. Damn, I love this truck!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very cool, Jerry! Now, once you build your COE, how are you going to decide which car/pickup to haul on it? :D

24. Check this one out:cool:

<TABLE cellPadding=10 border=10><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

25. Should be easy Nick, it seems like I can only keep one or two running and/or driving on any given day!!! Maybe it will need a winch on it. :(:D

I'm still trying to get Jan fired up about driving out west in a week to the GNR and have some fun where its nice and warm like you are going to!!!

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

it seems odd to add parking lites on top of the headlites.
    specially at that weird angle
    Arent the original parking lites BELOW those headlites?

I have a handful of lenses for the original parking lites

27. Yes, they are originally on the mounting stand. I noticed the guide style nacelles too. I think the original parking lights are there too if you look real close. Maybe there isn't room for an 1157 to fit in the original parking lights. I'll have to take mine apart and check. PM me about those lenses and what you want for a pair of them. It wouldn't hurt to have spares. I've also heard they are the same as '38 car interior/dome light lenses.

28. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I like it. Sort of reminds me of a blowup doll, right in the face.

29. These are in a salvage yard just east of Baxter Springs, KS.

Probably be for sale. Need a little TLC.

http://[​IMG]

30. 38 Ford Guy

38 Ford Guy

When Steve was building this truck I was salivating over it and when he completed it I fell in love instantly!!!! This is similar to what I plan to build too. The subtle things he did to this truck as you walk around it will make you realize what a great creation it is. Steve sold it a year or two ago and the new owner put air bags in it and I am not sure if he changed the mill from a mouse to a rat but there was talk of that happening. Anyway too cool.