Register now to get rid of these ads!

new post-er to HAMB but not new to cars

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Don B., Jan 13, 2009.

1. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

Hey there. Ok where to start (I put a long post in the "add me to the unemployed" thread already) and being on disability unable to work, I spend way too much time at the keyboard. I'm going a bit nutz. I need to be out in the garage working on the ol' car, while the wife's at work and the kid's in school that's the best time to get things done; when I was working I found myself going to the garage when they hit the sack so I could actually get some thing done.

I'm 41, former 18 year veteran of the front end alignment rack, moved to a couple years of ind maintenance (miss wrenching but I needed a better paycheck while not working 2 jobs no more) but at least for now, can't go back to work anywhere though I personally feel I could. (damn Dr) I live ~an hr south/southwest of Chicago. I will probably be back to 2 jobs again once I do get to go back (that's actually more work than I want but gotta do what ya gotta do)

I have always been a Mopar fan. Always been an old car fan. and NEVER been a 4-door fan, an import fan, or a front wheel drive fan (never yet owned one of those latter 2; hopefully never will, though the wife's current Cherokee has the extra doors)---- great parts cars though! but my current projects (1) I hope don't make anyone here laugh, and (2) may not be "old enuf" for the crowd here.

(1) is a 80 plymouth Volare 2 door. Was a /6, auto, will be a Magnum 318 (thought definitely for sure I wanted it fuel injected, now that I back stepped from an EFI daily driver truck to a carb'd non computer version, I'm seriously rethinking that thought; I forgot how much more user friendly carburetors are! Also, Dr be Da**ed, it WILL be a stick,either a 4 speed or if I can find one a V8 later model mustang one, a 5 speed. I have this car burned into my mind what I want it to look like, similar to the images on many TVs in the early 80s that had Atari played on them a few times too many. This is a resto mod, not a return to original type build; I still have to work out a few small details (do I want to put A/C on it, for one) but have time before these decisions are critical. BTW I have all brand new pcs on hand, to go either way on the AC issue, except for a compressor and a condenser.

(#2) is a 78 Plymouth Fury 2 dr hardtop. 42K orig miles 318 A/T. only thing I have with working AC! summer driver, presently stored, not perfect, but together complete and driveable, waiting to finish up #1 to repaint the lower 1/2 of that one. I would like to find a set of wheels for it (Cragars, Keystone Klassic, etc) in a 15X7 or 8, and maybe run at least part of the Power Tour with it if I can. No qualms about the car's ability to make the trip though I'd like to swap on a 4 BBL intake and carb and delete the crappy Lean Burn 1st.

I have ambitions of finding and restoring a Dodge truck older than 1972.
    also take a 70s Mopar wagon, scrap the 4 doors, move the B pillar back, and put 2 door, doors on it. like a newer sedan delivery, Nomad type thing. Maybe a bit new for some people here but at least they are not "cookie cutter" Camaros or Mustangs; the "been there done that" cars that it seems "everyone" has (or has had) these days. Also if I can't have my V8 no more, at least let me have a STRAIGHT 6 instead of a V6.

2. Mark Lester

Mark Lester

Hey there, welcome from Idaho! If you’re ever in our neck of the woods stop by and say hello.
    Mark Lester

3. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

Don, Hello & Welcome to the HAMB from South Texas.
    Good Luck with your projects.

Lucky667

4. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Hello Don B form Oklahoma......

5. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

thanks guys. it is appreciated.