Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Ford Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Good eye Mike, yes they are and verde is right. Not 100% why they did it this way but it seems easier to just heat and re bend the spring mounts. Anyhow I'm in Ottawa/Streator IL for the week so more work this coming weekend, I think I have all the parts I need.

2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Man ooh man what a find.

I bet you could hardly contain yourself when you got the okay to buy it - I would have snapped it up too.

nothing finer than a pickup.

Off topic, but can anyone tell me if you can buy a repop 32 pickup bed???

3. Very cool little truck. Hope she runs with little effort for you

4. JROTTEN

JROTTEN

THE RADIATOR LOOKS TO BE AN OLD JIM BABB RADIATOR, MOST ALL IN SO CAL USED THEM IN THE '70S EARLY '80S BEFORE HE PASSED.

5. And the plot thickens..........

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I love it. That's a hot rod right there.

7. Looks good! Nice everyday ride. Good Luck.

8. No real progress pics worthy of posting. Just jumping around fixing stuff, brakes, trans cooler lines, trans cooler mounting, fuel lines.....

I get caught up in fixing stuff that's not to my liking (whether it's aesthetics or safety).

9. Question on the rear spring hangers, does this look solid enough or does it need a top and bottom piece to box it in.........or am I being too overkill again.

The homemade bracket holds a cast spring hanger, it's thick plate and good welds, but the gap has me wondering.
    rear spring hanger-1.jpg
    rear spring hanger-2.jpg
    rear spring hanger-3.jpg

10. It's funny, the pics above of the frame, it's dust on the top, it's still gloss black underneath. Also some odd pieces are chromed, the front bumper brackets, the front spring shackles, the rear spring u bolts and the homemade rear bumper.

When I took off the chrome water neck because of corrosion around it (the PO was worried the rest of the motor inside looked that bad) it was packed full of dried walnut sized corrosion chunks. It was on top of the thermostat also, but luckily when I pulled the t-stat inside the intake was clean. So it has a new cast aluminum housing now....the stock ones from the local chain stores aren't cast iron anymore.

Some more random progress pics:
    Fuel lines run, just need to clear coat them.
    fuel lines-1.jpg
    Trans cooler lines bent and cooler mounted, now I just need to clean it up, make some holes and paint it black....want to hide it as much as I can and nobody likes flat plate aluminum :).
    trans cooler-1.jpg

F100 brakes done, just have to put bearings in the hubs. I couldn't find the spring kit for the non self adjusting even if I wanted to.
    front brakes-1.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  11. The backside of the tires touch the leaf sometimes (tire has some wear), I found a place to make 7.5" diameter spacers so it will contact the whole wheel not just around the lugs. I also found some longer studs, but had to turn down the shoulder on the lathe. More pics to follow.

manx4me likes this.
  12. Well it really runs on it's own now (fuel system and trans system) of course I left the camera there, but I did manage to get this quick video of it running. Everything so far works, even the Craig radio....I just need to find a 8 track tape.

13. Also anyone know if the aluminum Powerglide had the same dipsticks. The top broke off and I don't know what type or year the trans is from.

14. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

15. Thanks Scott.

I did also want to post about the F100 conversion just in case everyone didn't know. There are 2 wheel seals for this conversion and everything I read only talked about 1. You need to measure the seal hub on the spindle, 1 1/2" is the National 450461 (in all the articles), if it's 1 9/16" then you need a National 473441. If you have the wrong seal it won't go on the last 1/4" or so, you can force it but it drags bad.

So still waiting for wheel spacers and a reamer to open the rear lug holes for the 1/4" longer studs. I found a place that uses 7.5" od blanks to make wheel spacers, the truck has multi lug wheels on the rear and the standard spacers didn't cover all the way to the edge of the wheel mating surface.

Should finish the brakes this weekend and the rear wheel studs. Hopefully the Powerglide hangs around for awhile, I changed the filter/fluid and there was a lot of friction material paste in the pan bottom.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  16. Here's the trans cooler finished, kind of a shame to paint it black as I spent time on the holes and cleaning it up.......but I wanted to hide it as much as I could. I even put it at an angle so the foot print was smaller as you look at the grille.

trans cooler-2.jpg
    trans cooler-3.jpg

17. I think your right.....from Google.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Same as to what ? Other aluminum glides ? 62-73 is the last design. It will not interchange with a turbo 350 without altering the shape of the tube but I do not know if the 350 stick alone will interchange.

19. It's an aluminum Powerglide (I think later 60's or 70s), but without knowing year or model I was hoping the dipsticks were the same. Mine broke under the handle.

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

All the late ones used the same pan so I'd say yes.

21. Thanks Johnny, I'm going to try to weld it and find a backup...just in case.

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Not all Glides had the same length dipstick or dipstick tube. On the right hand side of the transmission pan will be a series of letters/numbers. Post that and we may be able to narrow down what it was in originally (the Powerglide). How long is the Glide, 25 or 28 inches long? That may help ID it also. Is the intake an Offenhauser 360 degree intake with the split runners for each port? Far better intakes out there if it is. I am Butch/56sedeandelivery.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  23. Will check tomorrow after work.

Thanks

24. I forgot to check the overall length, but the pan numbers are C0211D. Yes it's an Offy 360, it was on it when I bought it....I want to find a spreadbore intake for it but It needs to have the oil filler neck pointing to the pass side.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  25. Just learned about a product called "BriteBoy" metal cleaner, one of the best cleaners for chrome, brass, etc. It's Bar keepers friend for stainless and BriteBoy for everything else, hardly any scrubbing. Now just waiting for some more parts.

Here's the chrome I thought was damaged, plus the brass radiator.

front-2.jpg
    grille and rad-1.jpg
    hood-1.jpg

And the rear bumper before and after....

rear bumper-1.jpg

charleyw, porkshop and Johnny Gee like this.
  26. Here's the longer studs with the shoulders turned down....had to slightly ream out the holes for the studs to fit.
    rear wheel studs-1.jpg
    Interior cleaned and chrome polished....again thanks BriteBoy.
    interior-3.jpg
    interior-4.jpg
    The front F100 brakes done (had some good drums, blast cabinet and spray can), brake lines run and system bled.

front brakes-2.jpg
    brake master-1.jpg
    Plus some trans cooler lines bent up....had to break them up for ease.
    trans cooler lines-1.jpg

Bandit Billy likes this.
  27. Finally got the wheel spacers, so all that's left to do is wire up repaired tail lights, adjust the brakes, put the wheels back on and test drive. If all is good I found nos gauges (except speedo), have runtz reducers....it's time to ditch the under dash gauges and go back to the stock dash.

I also found an 8 track tape at a local swapmeet, the player works . So now I have an 8 track to cassette adapter and a cassette to iPod adapter coming.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  28. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Nice work Dan as always, hope to see you at the GNRS

29. Thanks Scott, I should be there on Sat and maybe with the '41.

30. Well she's a runner. Still have a few small things to do, but drove her around town today.......it's a little warm in the cab without the cowl vent but everything works good. More pics to follow and I'll keep posting on this thread when I do more work on it.

Bandit Billy likes this.