Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Owner Of A 1954 Belair - Need Assistance

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Byookanun, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Byookanun

Byookanun
    from Omaha, NE

First off I home I'm posting this in the correct place.

I just bought this 54 Belair and I'm hoping someone can give me some much needed info on the front end suspension that has already been modified, the wrong way.

The front coils look like they have been heated to lower front end but I'm wanting to know how much lower it is now compared to what stock was as I am trying to decide if I want to buy stock replacement coils and cut them or buy 2" or 3" drop coils.

Attached is a pic of the front suspension sitting on the car's weight. Also attached are a few side pics of the car.

The rear end has been replaced with a newer 10 bolt and it looks to be mounted on the stock leafs with no drop blocks.

I plan to put 2" or 3" drop blocks in the rear and I want the front as low or slightly higher than the rear once the rear is lowered.
    20170226_173640.jpg 20170226_173610.jpg 20170226_173617.jpg 20170226_173622.jpg

Thanks for any help you may offer.

2. that looks plenty worn out and is going to need everything, including the coils.

3. I bet that a good spring shop could wind you a pair of front springs according to your needs

4. cretin

cretin

Guys, he's trying to figure out what his needs are.

He needs measurements he can use to figure out how different his height is from stock, so that he can figure out what he needs to get to arrive at his desired ride height.
    Unfortunately, I don't have that info. I'm sure someone knows.

5. sdroadster

sdroadster

For years we drove around with heated springs. Don't worry about the springs. Just fix up the car to your liking. Don't spend the money on dropped spindles and new springs. You'll end up going through the entire front end, and it's not worth the repair cost. Just cruise around an enjoy your old car.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First Welcome to the Hamb, I grew up riding on some great road trips in the back seat of my grandparents 54 Chevy that created life time memories. It was new when I rode in it.
    This page you need to save the link to as you will probably refer to it often https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...information-kits/Chevrolet/1954-Chevrolet.pdf
    Scroll down to page 11 where they give the dimensions and there is a listing for measuring ride height. The difference between what it shows and what you have is how much it was dropped.

classiccarjack likes this.
  7. Byookanun

Byookanun
    from Omaha, NE

Well my origin post is irrelevant now. I ordered 3" drop springs.