Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New old flame job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daddyo's garage, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Daddyo's garage

Daddyo's garage

Well, I finally did it! Been wanting a flame job on my old truck ever since I got it. So yesterday I layer them out and painted them on...
    2014-08-31 16.25.21.jpg
    2014-08-31 16.46.44.jpg
    Then this morning I "aged" it to match the 50 plus year old original paint....
    2014-09-01 08.23.36.jpg 2014-09-01 08.24.11.jpg
    Now I'm trying to decide whether to pin stripe them in blue or just leave it alone.......

2. aaggie

aaggie

I don't usually like flames but yours somehow are appealing, brings back memories. Good job.

3. I suggest pin striping in blue. HRP

4. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I flamed my 55 F100 in 1976. They look very similar.
    100_4784.JPG 100_4783.JPG

5. Please give details on the way you aged it. Looks good.
    SPEEDY

6. Bugguts

Bugguts

I like it. Totally fits the truck.

7. AZ DESERTDOG

AZ DESERTDOG

I love Flames, nice touch not painting your bottom grill valance, it looks great. Of course, I'm kinda partial to flames on old Hot Rod trucks... lol
    [​IMG]

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

with red flames on a red truck you need contrast and blue is too dark. consider white pinstripes

Daddyo's garage likes this.
  9. Daddyo's garage

Daddyo's garage

It was aged with wet 360 grit sandpaper. Then with 600 wet sand paper.

Wow 36cab! That really does look similar! I guess it was bound to happen to some one though. Lol! Nice looking truck.

10. Muttley

Muttley

Stripes? Yes, I suggest Process Blue.

[​IMG]

11. Flames look good, I don't think I'd pinstripe them. They kinda look more like they were done by some punk kid in a driveway back in the day without the stripe. I would change those wheels though, they don't look right on that truck at all.

12. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

^What Fuzzy said^

I think they look awesome and you nailed the patina!
    Did I just say 'patina'?

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I broke down and black primered my F100. Actually, my nephew did it while I welded up holes in his Model A frame. (Gawd, it was 3 shades of red oxide...looked like it was battle worn!)
    So, Phil and his 2 pals primed the truck, man...what a difference! So clean...

A local r-- rodder came by, walked around it, was all excited..."Wow! Looks brand new!"
    I had to agree, (hell, I couldn't wait to drive it! Hadn't looked that good since '84...)
    The r-- guy was really hyped now...if he'd had a paper and pad, I'd have thought I'd make the 6:00 news. "What color flames?", he frothed.
    I answered, "Flames??!? Hell, I don't want a 'Fire Truck'..."

...but actually, I had considered flaming it for a long time. Traditional black nitro with white, yellow, red, orange Jeffries-style licks all over hood & fenders. WHITE striping, nothing less.
    So, the kid wasn't THAT far off base...

14. Daddyo's garage

Daddyo's garage

DO IT! If you don't like it ( which I doubt), you can always paint over it with the black again! It's only paint for Pete ' sake!