Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Mexico and Arizona folks: Cool stops along I-40?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Reggie, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be traveling down I-40 soon and was wondering if there are any cool places to vist in Az and NM? Even if its off the path a bit, I'd be interested in old Junk yards, shops, etc.

2. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

most of the population in az is in phx there by so are the cars. you would want to do a lot of RT66 in az as we have more of the orginal road than any state. be sure to exit I40 early when coming into flagstaff and go through town on 66, same thing in albuquerque nm.

3. Radshit

Radshit

If you got time to stop in Albuquerque....I could give you a nickle tour of some cool shops and collections....There is a Car museum in Santa Rosa before you get to Albuquerque a guy name of Bozo owns it.....I could get you a number.......pm me and I'll give you my cell number for an emergency contact in New Mexico.......we'll leave the light on...

4. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

And while you're in Santa Rosa, eat at "The Comet". I would suggest the chilis rellenos. By far the best I've ever had. Wayno

5. metalman

metalman

Stop in and say Hi when your in Albuquerque, I'll give ya the 5 cent shop tour. PM me if you need Alb.info.

6. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

Not auto related but..... If you've never been and have the time in your schedule, you should see the grand canyon if only for a little while. Nature's beauty never dissapoints.

7. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

You have to get off the road and drive through Holbrook, Winslow and Old 66 through Flagstaff.

Holbrook is the real " Radiator Springs" from the movie "Cars". Maybe stay at the Wigwam tee pee motel.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

You could stop by on your way and see the new car.

9. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Grand Canyon is a good choice, it is a beautiful hole in the ground. If you have time you could take the train from Williams up to the Canyon. The Grand Canyon Railway. Touristy, but its an old steam train. Near Winslow is the Meteor Crater. Another hole in the ground. Arizona has lots of holes in the ground. This one was made by a BIGGG rock that fell out of the sky. The Apollo astronauts trained there in the '60's. In Winslow is the statue of the guy from the Eagles song.
    "Standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona, such a fine sight to see,
    A girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford, slowin' down to take a look at me.
    Come on, Baby, don't say maybe, I gotta know if your sweet love,
    is gonna save me."
    I remember the line, but not the name of the song.

10. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Take it easy. It'll come to ya. Wayno

11. West of Flagstaf AZ is the little town of Seligman. Stop there and get an ice cream at Delgados, you'll like it. You'll also pick up Route 66 there and wind through Indian country to Kingman where you can either get back on the interstate or continue on 66 through Oatman down to Laughlan. As I recall this is the longest continus strech of 66 left.

12. lewislynn

lewislynn

The Ford proving grounds are just off I-40 in Yucca (or is it Yucka) between Kingman and Havasu...I don't know if there are tours though.

13. In Holbrook Az, check out the "Wigwam motel" I think that's it's name. But you can't miss it, it's on old 66 I think, but each motel room is a giant Tee-Pee. From a distance it looks like a bunch of giant road cones..

14. Look for a Book by MICHEAL WALLIS on rt-66...its cheap and has everything you could want to know about rt-66 aka the now I-40

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Wow - first post from Radshit in almost 2 months! Where ya been?

Archie Lewis has a little "museum" on the east side of Moriarty. I haven't stopped in there, but I wandered around his yard when it was in Albuquerque over a decade ago...he's got a lot of stuff - too bad most of it just sits.

Plenty to do in Albuquerque...

16. Reggie:

Seligman is cool. Delgados might be the little diner where my bro-in-law and I ate lunch? It had to be a survivor from Rt. 66. Another town along the trip had a motel with old cars parked all over the place. Not customers- just decoration. I've got some pics if you care.

Dan

17. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the great suggestion guys. I'll PM you AZ guys as I firm up my plans. Thanks!!

18. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Are you driving Tom's old 3 Window? Wayno

19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Let us know when you get through Albuquerque...

20. jchav62

jchav62

I agree. Seligman is a great town to visit. Delgado's place is called the "Snow Cap". A lot of US 66 history in that town. Winslow is also a great stop.

In NM, cruise Central Ave (US 66) in Albuquerque...You'll see a lot of history and cool rides and plenty of great places for good ol New Mexican food. Have a good trip....