Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Mexican Paper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moonglow, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Moonglow

Moonglow

On a recent sleepless night I started worrying about the title and registration of my '29 Tudor sedan. Here's the deal:

My wife and I live in Tennessee and will be moving to New Mexico in a few years. I'm worried about the legalities of my title (recently aquired in Tennessee) particularly if my project isn't complete and running (which it sure as hell isn't now!), when we move. The project is titled as a "1929 Ford 2 door Sedan" and has an "antique vehicle" tag. The only thing from the original car is the body shell (well most of it anyway), front axle, and a few other odds and ends. It also has a custom frame, suicide front end, 289 mill, late model rear end, yah-da, yah-da, yah-da. The point is this is no "resto rod", but more of a Frankenstein's monster of a hot rod.

I've heard some legal horror stories about guys moving to western states, so am asking if anyone knows the real deal in New Mexico. I've already visited the State of New Mexico's web site and they seem to have a "freindly" posture towards rods and customs. Although that makes me feel better, it doesn't really mean jack.

Can anyone share their New Mexico title and registration experiences, so I can get some rest again?

thanks,
    Sleepless in Tennessee :(

2. sawzall

sawzall

my father in law moved out there a few years ago.. then moved again to oklahoma..

apparently the DMV was very interested in the VIN on all of the vehicles.. including is homebuilt trailer.. (which had a pa special tag at the time)

I guess to prepare I would make sure that a vin that matched your title was somewhere on your vehicle..

hopefully someone else will chime in..

3. JamesG

JamesG

Missisippi is the place to get a tittle, you can use a tortilla as a bill of sale and get a title I've heard.

4. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Some info here:

http://www.state.nm.us/tax/mvd/mvd_home.htm

If there is no stamped VIN on your frame, you might want to put whatever is on your TN title on the frame before you go to MVD. NM is like any other state, as long as they get their pound of flesh, they're pretty happy. I know several people who have had difficult title situations, that got them resolved without too much trouble.

5. metalman

metalman

I just did research on this in NM. If the vehical had a vin it still better be there or the state can impound the vehical and crush it. There's a law here about vehicals with vins removed. Model A's are an exception since the frame and body did not have vin # originally. Regardless, you will have to have a vin inspection to get a NM title, I would stamp the frame rail with the vin on your title, the average DMV employee will no doubt sign off if the can see one and you have a title from your state.

6. 47bob

47bob

Look and see if you can register it online and get your plates; that way you'll find out if an inspection is necessary. Just a thought .....Bob

Metalman has the answer there. I have seen Ford style stamps on the auction site recently if needed.

7. metalman

metalman

Won't work online, must have a physical inspection. Another thought. The Tenn. title has to be in your name already or it will be more hassle then it's worth, NM has a problem with "purchased titles". If it's not already in your name it will be easier to get a NM assigned VIN number. All you need is some documentaion on origan, ie: recietes for parts/ materials purchased, bill of sale on the body, ect. On a car with no factory vin and handbuilt frame this is easy.

8. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Model A's are an exception since the frame and body did not have vin # originally.

MODEL "A" FORDS ALL HAD A VIN # STAMPED INTO THE FRAME...
    FORD STARTED VIN #s IN THE FRAME IN 1926.

YOU NEED TO STAMP THE ORIGINAL VIN# OFF YER REGISTRATION INTO THE FRAME AND SPEND THE $50.00 TO GET A STAR STAMP FOR EACH END OF THE VIN #

DO WHAT YOU CAN TO GET THE CAR REGISTERED IN YOUR STATE ASAP SO WHEN YOU MOVE, THE CAR IS ALREADY IN YOUR NAME.

IT WILL BE A BREEZE TO REGISTER THE CAR IF THE THING IS IN YOUR NAME.

AND AS IVE SAID BEFORE ..... THIS IS THE KINDA SHIT THAT HAPPENS WHEN YA THROW AWAY YER STOCK FRAMES...

BE HAPPY THAT THEY DONT MAKE YOU REGISTER IT AS A "SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION" 2007 AND YOU HAVE TO SMOG THE BITCH!

9. metalman

metalman

Might be wrong on Model A vin, haven't seen an original since we started caring, just going by what the state told me on my 31. In NM if it's a fiberglass body on a repro frame it's a 2007 special constuction, if it's an original steel body it's called a 1929 Reconstuction (or whatever year the body is). Special constuctions must be smogged only in certain counties, since they never pass and can't be made to they issue a smog excempion, you only do it once.

10. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

My pop just titled a 27 roadster, it had a original title (repop glass body, custom frame) it was not in his name, he went to a friend had him whip up some "data" plates...keep in mind this car fit in the back of a pickup truck, dad hot riveted the data tags on (body and frame), got it inspected in rio rancho NM dmv, paid his 35 bucks and got a title in his name.... No issues

11. bonesy

bonesy

You got it. I would title where you live now. NM will look for the title on the frame and one other spot on the vehicle. Your life will be much easier if the info is on the car before you get here. NM State Police will come to you home and run the NCIC check - for a price. I've had much better luck bringing the vehicle to MVD Express for the VIN inspection. They are a private company - not interested in impounding your car, just interested in getting paid.

Good Luck.

12. Moonglow

Moonglow

Thanks so much for all the advice guys.

Looks like I might good to go. I already have a Tennessee title and new VIN number (issued by the State of TN), in my name. They even issued an OEM looking self adhesive, heavy duty sticker thingy with the new VIN number on it. I made sure to do this before I said bye-bye to the old frame, while it looked more like a "restoration" in the making. A State Tropper came out to "inspect" my car before the VIN would be issued. He just wanted to make sure that it wasn't stolen.

It's registered in my name and I already have the tag in hand. In Tennessee, if you buy an "Antique Vehicle" tag (it's only 60 bucks) you'll never have to renew it. You're supposed to limit your driving to 1,000 miles per year with this type of tag. I have the option of converting it to a "conventional" tag at any time, but I think I'll leave well enough alone.

I still think it would be in my favor to get this thing operational before we move out to NM.

Keep those cards and letters coming guys, I really appreciate it! :D

13. metalman

metalman

Get some sleep tonight, you already got your ducks in a row, with the stuff you got it will fly right thru. Got all of us worked up over nothin.

14. Moonglow

Moonglow

Thanks for the scoop metalman, I feel much better. Don't you think I'd still be better off if the thing was operational? Hot rods are never really "finished", but I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have a complete/running car before we move out your way (in 6 or 7 years).

BTW, how's the hot rod scene in Las Cruces in comparision Santa Fe. We're still considering exacly where we'll re-locate to. We both love the whole state.

Thanks again.:cool:

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

When I registered my Stude, they wanted to physically inspect the car since it was out of state & never registered in NM. Brought it to them, showed them the VIN on the original data plate & they wanted another one!! They said they needed to see two original VINs - after they looked in all the "usual" places, they gave up. I told them the old cars didn't have multiple VINs like new cars do...

Really wasn't much of a hassle - other than due to paperwork delays with the prev owner, I was beyond 90 days so the tax went from 3% to 4.5% and I wasn't expecting it... :(

16. Moonglow

Moonglow

Thanks for the info bonesy, I'll be sure to check out the MVD.

What's the hot rod scene like in Albuquerque? We're considering relocating to the Albuquerque/Santa Fe region, or maybe Las Cruces. Any thoughts on these areas (as they pertain to hot rodding) sure would be appreciated.

Later............

17. jchav62

jchav62

The Hot Rod scene is very healthy here in NM. Albuquerque probably has the most because of its size and car clubs like the Rumblers who keep things going...Weekend cruises on Central (Route 66) get pretty packed...Mostly lowriders, but you'll see a bit of everything...Whatever style you are into, you'll see it here...Us New Mexicans have a big love for classic cars and trucks...

Anyhow, I moved here from Las Vegas, NV in 2003. When I got my 62 registered in Albq, the lady checked my existing title to the VIN# on the door jamb...I had no problems...:D

T-roaster likes this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

no shit....I've heard of guys with model As going in for AZ title and the state takes the car apart looking for the vin on the frame (under the cowl/fender on the driver side), when they don't find it bad things happen.

As long as you have a good state-issued VIN sticker, and a matching title, and it all looks as it should (ie. the sticker is actually on the car where it ought to be and does not appear to have been messed with), you should be fine.

19. Moonglow

Moonglow

Thanks for the input. In my book any old tin is cool. I think me and my heavily sliced, diced and channeled model A will fit right in out ther in NM.:cool: