Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects new member. watch me section my Desoto.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rytang, Jun 29, 2016.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Please don't let this wrench work take the fun out of the body work. Bob

2. Sporty45

Sporty45

Damn man, don't you dare give up on this thing now!!! :(

Sancho likes this.
  3. kind of a clue as to how the car may have been "stored". that side may have been against some bushes, on the "shady" side or "in the weather". i have fixed rotted cars that one side was real bad and the other, not so bad. seams strange but the curb side most of the time is better. i think it is because splashing in the puddles near the side of the road keep the car clean.
    go man go!

4. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

As much as I love traditional, I do vote for disk brakes. I look at it like a form of insurance. If 20 feet is the difference between totaling a ride and not.
    I chose not.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U likes this.
  5. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

So tomorrow I'm gonna pull the motor and start getting the front ready to section. I've still got a few things to finish on the rear first, but I didnt feel like doing that. I feel like getting the motor out of the way.
    So I went to wonderful HF and bought the cheapest engine stand. Its a 750 lb stand. 20170429_224059.jpg When I was putting it together I noticed that the 2 rear wheels were supposed to be held on with 2 tiny clips that sat on 2 tiny grooves on the axles. So the solid cast wheel would sit behind a washer and these clips. And that's it. 20170429_224128.jpg 20170429_224359.jpg I knew that if I rolled that thing around with my motor on it, the weight of it would pop one of those tiny clips out, and there goes your wheel. I wouldn't want to drop something so heavy because of a crappy product. But I did figure out a easy solution I thought I'd share just in case any of you have the same stand or want to get one. For $40 it's not bad.
    So what I did was put the wheel on, no washer, no stupid little clip. Found a couple nuts that fit over the axle (I think they are 1/2") they actually thread on because of that tiny groove in the axle end. So I ground the axles down to metal, took the coating off the nuts. Put the wheel on, thread the nut on just enough for the wheel to spin. Then weld it up! Problem solved. I doubt these wheels are gonna pop off now. 20170429_224420.jpg

RockinRivi, Tim, OahuEli and 6 others like this.
  6. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Good idea! Might as well reinforce the stand similar to the way you did the english wheel seeing as you got that nice stash of raw materials!

RockinRivi and rytang like this.
  7. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

8. ol skool spirit

ol skool spirit

I would recommend removing front wheel and adding a short length of tubing and putting on 2 castors. It makes the stand stable. I have dumped over a motor before with this type of set up.

9. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Good call on the stand mods ol Sokol spirit. Another heads up, I've seen the arm that engine mounts to bend on those . Either reinforce it like others said or at least cut a 4x4 u can wedge under the water pump or harmonic balancer

54vicky, Stu D Baker and rytang like this.
  10. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

This is the part I've been waiting for. Sectioning the firewall,door jambs, hinges etc. I know you can pull it off, just want to watch talent at work.

11. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Yeah!! All 4 hubs are drilled and have press in studs! All RH thread! Finally!! Thank you everyone for the help and ideas!! I couldn't have done it without your help!! 20170501_222001.jpg 20170501_222020.jpg 20170501_222041.jpg

12. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thank you! I've got a couple things to finish on the rear first before I start cutting the front. (Im also pretty nervous to cut the front, so I'm gonna prolong it a lil lol) but, I'll probably start getting the front prepped and ready and tore all the way down. Then stare at the steering linkage for a few days and try to figure out what to do.

RockinRivi, Ray C's son and brEad like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks like a few bucks in copper wire scrap on that firewall. :DBob

14. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

Ur thee man, anyone who tackles a job like his is got to be either crazy or one hell of a builder or maybe a little of both u guys always amaze me with the level of talent u all have I stand in awe of u guys and wish I could do stuff like this, great job and I can't hardly wait to see the end product it's gonna be cool, hotrod harry

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app HotRod Harry

15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yup, like they all said, make that stand so its got 4 legs on the ground. even then its gonna be top heavy. Cant wait to see how you handle the front end.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the diameter of the stock steering column tube?

On the last two Chevy's that I helped section, we did not cut the front fenders. We lowered the entire front clip, reshaped and bobbed the part of the fender between the wheel opening:
    upload_2017-5-2_9-44-0.png

17. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I better start looking thru the scrap pile and see if I can't reinforce this stand.

18. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

19. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well done!

54vicky likes this.
  20. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

21. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

22. BITCHIN!

rytang likes this.
  23. Hahaha i use mine as sold to me and just deal with it leave it to you to mold shit into gold

sent while dropping a deuce

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. flatford39

flatford39

I would still put a 2x4 or 4x4 under the oil pan to the engine sand. Gravity sucks you know.

chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  25. Man of little faith Mr flatford39, that would have to have an extremely large amout of weight added to it now to get that to fold now. It is only to store the engine, not for running the engine up and revving it etc. and possible once park away out of the work space, not moved again until required, so I feel very confident in the modifications made to the engine stand.

rytang and drdave like this.
  26. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Hello HAMBers!! I just wanted to let you all know I'm alive and well!! Life has kept me busy! I'm in the middle switching tattoo shops, so once I'm all moved I'll have more time for the car.

Speaking of the car... I know I have some parts coming up that I'll have to make that will require me to have a metal brake. Problem is, I can't afford a good one... Hell I can't even afford a HF one! So I've been working on my very own 4 ft. brake! I've got a great idea for the wasted space in the rear of it too!! I can't wait till this is finished! Then I can make so many different shapes for the car!
    20170525_174801.jpg

27. greybeard360

greybeard360

You will find that the angle iron you are using is going to flex quite a bit. You need real heavy, thick iron and at that...
    It may flex. I had to add stiffeners to a 2' break I have.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rytang likes this.
  28. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

You could weld a piece of heavy wall square tubing inside both pieces of angle iron. That would keep it from flexing. Would give it a little mass too.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

rytang likes this.
  29. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I built one very similar to that many years ago that did flex. I welded a piece of 3/4" pipe in the center of the angle with a 3/4" bolt and nut slid in side. Them welded 5/8" rod to one end of angle over the head of bolt and then down to other side of angle to form a truss. You could the turn nut to load the angle as needed to keep it from bowing in the middle. It worked quite well. If since got rid of it or I would send a pic. And awesome work on everything I've been subscribed from the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

rytang likes this.