Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects new member. watch me section my Desoto.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rytang, Jun 29, 2016.

1. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

You can make good work on it don't listen to most. Polish the upper wheel, reinforce the backbone and take the slop out of the adjusters. My friend Matt made these sail panels on a HF wheel. It's the worker not the tool.

Use the lowest crown lower at all times for a smoother result. Overlap your passes and enjoy. All it does is stretches...and because they're true radius lowers without flats, you don't need the stiffest wheel in the world.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13lav, BabbitBeater, Stogy and 11 others like this.
  2. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thank you. Do you have any photos of the reinforced hf wheel?? Nice chop btw!!

timmy2times likes this.
  3. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

I don't have pics but there's a piece of 2x4 tube behind it with an x brace going to the right above the upper cradle

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

timmy2times and rytang like this.
  4. As mentioned, make sure the panel you are running through the wheeling machine is clean and where I did my apprenticeship in body building and panelbeating, we always softly oiled the panel to aid it to run smoothly. As mentioned also, be careful with fingers and thumbs as you will certainly learn that they don't like being flattened through the machine.

rytang, cretin and timmy2times like this.
  5. Nocero

Nocero

Great build!
    Just read all 25 pages. Subscribed.
    Any new updates?

6. rytang likes this.
  7. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thank you! As soon as work slows down I'll be back out in the garage! I've got to reinforce my english wheel and add a shrinker and strecther to it, then back onto the car.

timmy2times likes this.
  8. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Soon. Promise.

timmy2times and 55Deso like this.
  9. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Got some time in the garage today. Started reinforcing my English Wheel. Still have a lot to do but, hopefully this will help stiffen it up. 20161212_183458.jpg

10. Nice work on the reinforcing.
    I just commented on another custom, saying that it'd been awhile since we had a radical custom here. Sorry, forgot about this one.
    Glad your busy at work. I've been a little slow since we had the quakes down here. it'll pick up, it's our Summer.
    Can't wait to see more progress here.

rytang likes this.
  11. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thank you. I'm glad you're ok. Another custom?? Where? I'm hoping to add a shrinker and stretcher to this too... Just gotta figure out how to make some foot controls.

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Who said HF English Wheels were crap?? 20161215_185659.jpg

RockinRivi, 120mm, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  13. I am confused about the function of external radio antennas on a soft top convertible??huh?? A simple wire burried in any seat would provide just as strong a radio signal as an external telescoping chromocity..(or two) And after all the work which has gone into making a clean design.

Great sheetmetal workmanship btw, magnifico, kudos, el prestigio
    Eager to see the paint...perhaps some photoshopping before the final spray?

dearjose likes this.
  14. rytang likes this.
  15. manyolcars

manyolcars

I went to a metal shaping class in Edmond Ok
    We took an 18" flat square piece of metal and made a bowl. The idea being that by learning to stretch the center and shrink the edges we learned the basics which can be applied to most everything you will do. Whenever someone comes over, I smack that bowl with a hammer, big dent, then pass it thru the english wheel, one pass and the dent is gone. What I am saying, is go to the metalshaping forums to earn

rytang likes this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The quickest way to explain this is form over function. They look cool and are correct to the era of which he's building this car to fit into.

Similar to some one running a flathead in their hotrod. Yeah there are much more functional and cost effective options but it's what would have been done in the particular era and they look cool

17. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

It's all about style!!

RockinRivi, kiwijeff, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  18. And due to the way they have been mounted, they will look super cool and totally different from the norm.
    Good job on the wheeling machine too.

kiwijeff and rytang like this.
  19. Seems a strange question for a Hot Rod and Custom site....

20. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

I spent the past couple days working on my English wheel, adding my stretcher and shrinker to it. Now I need to figure out levers and pedals. Any suggestions on what to use, or how?
    Here's my progress so far.
    20161228_193958.jpg 20161228_210457.jpg 20161229_174633.jpg 20161229_175343.jpg 20161229_203456.jpg

21. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I'd suggest making the add-ons bolt on, in case they get in the way of a larger body panel.

rytang likes this.
  22. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

They are both past the throat capacity.

whiplash1923T likes this.
  23. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

You may want to rotate your shrinker and stretcher 90 degrees so you can work the lever....your a hell of a craftsman Bro!

rytang likes this.
  24. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

20161229_174605-1.jpg Thank you! This is a view from the back side. You can see the open area in each bracket here. My plans are to run some sort of linkage down thru there, to foot pedals.

timmy2times, Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  25. You could just but the stand from HF and modify their linkage to work with your set up I think the stand is only 60 bucks Hobo Jim

rytang likes this.
  26. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Even the modifications to your tools are impressive. Nice work!
    I'm subscribed to this thread but haven't got notifications? Just happened across it. Weird.

rytang likes this.
    rytang likes this.
  28. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Well today I figured some stuff out. Then I searched the scrap pile to see what I could use. I made a ton of brackets. Cut some solid 1" bar and welded the brackets on the ends. Then I cut the supplied Harbor Freight handle bars and made some more brackets... Attached them into shrinker/stretcher, then attached the bar. All this times two, for both tools. Now I just need to figure the bottom half. Hopefully this will help some one. I had a hard time finding any info on how people made theirs.
    20161230_153948.jpg 20161230_154124.jpg 20161230_201000.jpg 20161230_201009.jpg 20161230_201037.jpg 20161230_201922.jpg

29. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Add a pivot point and a foot pedal at the bottom? Maybe make the foot pedal adjustable for stroke?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rytang likes this.
  30. mkebaird

mkebaird

Nice work on the tools, and the car!

rytang likes this.