Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects new member. watch me section my Desoto.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rytang, Jun 29, 2016.

1. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here , looks great .just scored the 51 Chrysler ...Wowzers. Possibilities image.jpg

2. engineman_1

engineman_1

Where to start without Hi-Jacking your thread! I am all about comfort and functionality. I love the old look with Modern reliability and handling / response/ braking. I built the car for my now retired Sgt 20+ years ago with the option to buy it when he was tired of it. I built it then on his budget using a crashed 78 Monte Carlo donor for the 305 2 bbl, and TH350 trans, and rear. The problem is that it handles and brakes like a 60 year old car should, LOL. I currently have a C4 Corvette Donor for the front end, rear end, and 6 speed manual transmission. I am building a Vortech supercharged 383, and have C6 Corvette brakes for it. As for the body I want to make subtle changes that will keep with the cop car them (not too radical) but when you look at it you can tell its a 54 but something tells you something is not right. I want to find a set of 55 Chevy front fenders to graft the eyebrows on and use a 56 Chevy front bumper. I also want to fill the fuel door moving it to the tail light, 55 Nomad rear bumper. I love your skills it seems like it is effortless for you, as if it was a gift. That's what I call an Artist...

chryslerfan55 and rytang like this.
  3. engineman_1

engineman_1

Hope you feel better.

rytang likes this.
  4. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thank you for the compliment! From the sounds of what you've done and are gonna do, I could use your help on mine! I'm looking for some 55 fenders and lights too... See if you can get a deal lol. I've got some 56 taillight parts if you ever need any. I really like those police lights you have on the car.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Ahh a fellow tattooer!! Thanks!

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Jeez don't say that too loud or they'll kick our freak asses out of this place lmao

chryslerfan55, kiwijeff and rytang like this.
  7. Who you callin a freak ass?

chryslerfan55, rytang and kiwijeff like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It's a joke, and I guess I'd be referring to myself lol

kiwijeff, uglysteve and rytang like this.
  9. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Sorry everyone for no recent updates. I'm still a little under the weather. But here's a photo from last night when I went outside to look at her. I hope everyone enjoys their weekend! 20160810_211924.jpg

10. gmhillbilly

gmhillbilly

Sweet car and awsome fab skills man. You've got some nice ink too. I'm hooked on your build, I'm watching every step of the way. Keep up the good work.

Hillbilly

rytang likes this.
  11. raidmagic

raidmagic

12. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

I've got a couple hours to work on the car today. Got it back up in the air, lights out and bumper taped up. I'm gonna finish welding this side skirt on today. 20160822_145952.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  13. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Now the quarter panel is one piece. Still have a ton of hammering to do, and the entire passenger side skirt... But it's taking shape. 20160822_184859.jpg

14. Hi, I have just found your thread and read through it today and I must say, I personally dislike tattoo's and especially total body covering but it is an individuals choice but the vision and art work you have shown on this build is absolutely outstanding. I admire your ability to visualize the painted finished vehicle in your head and then manufacture the desired look without a panelshop full of tools and by using the basic metal forming tools of a hammer and dollies. I have added your thread to my watch list as I'm keen to watch this build through to the end.
    One question before I shut up though is you mentioned children and wife, so have you thought of reinforcing the body so that you could use a split bench seat to allow access to the rear seat ?
    Keep up the excellent work and thanks so much for the photo's and progress posts.

15. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Yea tattoos aren't for everyone, but working in a tattoo shop for 17 years... It slowly happens. As for the car, I will have to reinforce everything, but that will happen as I continue to build everything.
    As for the seats, I'm planning on building everything inside, including seats... But not a bench. The car is so low that you can just step inside.
    And tools... I'm slowly getting more. I've made a lot of my tools. I need Eastwood to sponsor me! Lol

16. jcillch

jcillch

You are doing a kickass job on your build. As a thirty year Tattooer I just gotta say, I love it when people have to voice their opinion as to your appearance or line of work. Keep up the good work. You bit off a lot, and you are winning.

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

No need to reinforce the body to use a split bench, its just a seat on the floor. I still so dig the shit out of this build! Wish you were closer I'd love to see it in person and bullshit with ya. Ugly duckling turned swan.

rytang, Cosmo49 and volvobrynk like this.
  18. williebill

williebill

Crazy cool looking work so far. Always look forward to your new posts.

rytang likes this.
  19. Excuse me and I know I'm from a little country called New Zealand but I thought Colorado and Arizona are neighbours ? So you guys just can't jump in your cars and drive for twenty minutes to visit, must be a big country you live in ?:)

timmy2times, rytang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Dang, 20 minute drive wont even get me out of my town. you Kiwis sure have it easy!

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha!

The US is 3,794,083 square miles (including water), which is 9,826,630 sq km, for you furinners. For those playing at home, that's 38-times the size of NZ.

Denver, the capital of Colorado, is 820 miles (1320 kilometers) from Phoenix, the capital of Arizona, or about 13-hours, jamming down I-70.

22. atch

atch

According to the distance feature of Google Earth, from Denver to the closest point of Arizona (and we don't know where in Arizona the poster is from) is 300 miles BY AIR. By road, to the center of Arizona is probably in the 500 mile range; approximately the same distance of from Wellington to the Foveaux Straight.

(hint: rytang, we all want do know where each other is from. perhaps you would add that to your profile...)

rytang likes this.
  23. reagen

reagen

What did you use to cut the body looks good

24. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Mostly a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel (about 50 of em) and sawzall for the deeper areas.

25. Sporty45

Sporty45

Then why even bring it up? It has zip to do with a mans ability, and Rytang handles that quite nicely!

I love following this build, keep at it Rytang :cool:

26. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thank you sir. I will.

Peanut 1959 and Sporty45 like this.
  27. Maybe I didn't word it right Sporty45 for you. I don't like tattoos but I appreciate the artistic work that most tattooist accomplish now with the use of modern inks and equipment that some of the so called famous modern day artist who slap paint onto a canvas using a 4" paint brush call art could learn from. I do admire the fact that RyTang has a picture in his head of a finished car that he wants to build and he has set too without a shop full of body tools to build one. He not only sets an example to others here on what can be accomplished by thinking things through, measuring, measuring and measuring before cutting, but his ability to never give up on anything until he is 100% happy with what he is doing. I also admire the fact that the man is brave to tackle a slice job (section) on a grand scale when he has never done anything like that before. I personally am a trained and qualified Panelbeater/ Motor Body worker and I wouldn't attempt to do what he is doing in his home garage so, yes, we are watching a true artist at work here on a motor vehicle instead of skin.
    Please continue RyTang.

chryslerfan55 and Baron like this.
  28. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doing a great job on this Kustom. What a great build thread. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing what you do to the nose/front end. And it's great seeing a young guy doing this type of customizing.

RockinRivi, timmy2times and rytang like this.
  29. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Sure hope I did this right... 20160827_170224.jpg

30. Your doing just fine. I just caught up on some of the posts. Geezzz, Talent is talent no matter if your slinging Ink, slinging Lead or making a Quilt. This canvas just happens to be a Desoto and it's going to be one of a kind just like Art should be. Enough said.
    The Wizzard