Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New member. Searching for grandfathers old ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Searchingforaclassic, Feb 22, 2021.

1. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Looks like the frame was the same silver that the base color of the car was before the candy was applied. In the pics of it displayed at shows, the doors open to show the silver frame... if that's what I'm seeing. Possibly the frame from firewall forward was colored later.

2. grumpy65

grumpy65

You may be right....

loudbang, Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  3. hudson48

hudson48

Would be great if this was the car. My query is that the exhaust in the second photo(RHS) is different to exhaust in first photo(LHS) which has two pipes exiting near cowl. Maybe changed later for some reason. Otherwise I think so many things look identical it likely is the same car?

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I think its the same car. It would not be unheard of for the next person to own it make small changes. It looks like the LHS shot of the car with the display board that the exhaust is not there??

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Pass side windshield sticker is consistent with all pics

loudbang, Stogy, Rickybop and 3 others like this.
  6. grumpy65

grumpy65

Ok, I'm convinced it is the same car.

Seems that the OP never saw the car 'in the flesh' so to speak. Now the OP needs to confirm that it is actually his Grandfather in the original pic. That pic doesn't look much like a personal photo. More like an old magazine shot going by the edges/borders. Did Grandpa actually own the car?

Not being a pain in the ass here. I really hope the story is true.............or I truly hope the story is real........:D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  7. Incredible! Big thumbs up for all of the detective work guys. This place is amazing. Now, where did that OP go to? hqdefault.jpg

bchctybob, loudbang, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  8. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Ok I def never saw the car in the flesh but my dad did for sure. As soon and I speak to him after work we will do some confirming. I honestly posted that and went to bed never in a million years thinking that car would be be found that quickly. I’m honestly freaked out writing this honestly in shock is putting it very lightly.

1929rats, rpm56, Hombre and 23 others like this.
  9. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

bchctybob, loudbang, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  10. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

it is 100% my grandfather in the picture I even have some pictures with my dad as a kid sitting in the front seat of the same car. The gas station where the picture was taken is still in business obviously burgers aren’t as cheap now though.

11. Post up any and all pics you have of the car, definitely including the interior shot. The more details these pics provide, the easier it might be to identify the car. Someone may have changed the color and stance but left the interior intact. Good luck in your search :)

12. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Thank you. As soon as I get home from work I’ll dig up all the pictures I can find and post them on here.

13. I love these kinds of stories.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. grumpy65

grumpy65

^^^*Looking for a dual quad intake for a Chrysler B engine.^^^

Oh, come on now @57 Fargo , were gonna need pictures, a heart-warming story, and as much info about the last known whereabouts of the intake that you can provide. How good do you think we are......................:rolleyes::p:D

15. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yay HAMB! Killer car, btw.

loudbang, Stogy, Rickybop and 2 others like this.
  17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Have an open mind and be prepared for this story to turn.

I have done quite a bit of historical research. In researching history, veteran's stories and family histories sometimes there are mistakes. Sometimes the stories change through the years. Most of the time these stories and accounts are based on truth but that element of truth may not quite be what we think it is or what we would like it to be.

I was amazed as a lady gave me an account of a battle her GGG Grandfather was in. Her account was spot on and I knew what battle she was talking about. It was fascinating to hear. With that said there was one major mistake. She told it as Confederates vs Yankees (Civil War). The battle she described in great detail was actually the Battle of Kings Mountain SC...1780. Through the years the Overthemountain Men were replaced with Confederates and the British Colonel Patrick Ferguson became a "Yankee".

Grandpaw's Old Rifle... This is quite common. A treasured family artifact that was carried in the Revolution, Civil War ect ect ect....When the artifact is examined it turns out to be a 1888 Model Trapdoor Springfield. Way too late for the Revolution or the Civil War. Now there may have indeed been a rifle carried in those conflicts, but that one, was not it.

This can be real touchy. People get their feelings hurt as the facts reveal themselves, so be prepared.

Take phrasing, figures of speech and accounts that have changed through the years. Since you are interested in finding this car there is a lot at stake. You need to confirm this on your end and really dig as deep as you can. You are fortunate to have your father (be prepared for him to be mistaken). You have to go through this like a detective. If you have more photographs, hopefully those will tell the story.

By the way the story you may learn may be different than what you think. It could be even more interesting and special to you and your father.

Scenarios.....
    Your grandfather built the car and sold it to the guy in Kentucky...
    Your grandfather owned the car before it was "Hot Rodded" and sold it to the guy in Kentucky...
    Your grandfather owned a car "like" the car pictured and stood beside "his" car in the photo...
    Your grandfather may have been involved with the construction of that or a similar car and did not actually own it...

You may find that the story is more interesting and my involve a totally different car or the car in a different configuration.
    Do detective work. Talk to your father. Search out and scrutinize the photos. Let the evidence tell the tale, not sentiment.

18. All I can say is AMAZING...again. Love these stories and how much knowledge is here and how fast members can come up with stuff.

And, that car is too cool!

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

So, was it discovered where this car is today? I think that is what the OP wanted....

loudbang, Stogy, Hotrodmyk and 4 others like this.
  20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I half-expected Mark to show a pic of it in his dining room....

21. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Honestly I have zero expectations I really thought this was a 1 in 10billion shot when I originally posted this so any info is greatly appreciated. I’m for sure gonna get as much info as I can from my dad which he don’t even know that I’m searching for the car. As a kid I really regret not getting more history and asking more questions haunts me everyday. My grandfather passed in 2016 and going through his things I discovered this picture and it brought back all the stories he told about it and how there wasn’t a car around that could keep up with it. I hope my dad has some insight and more of the back story. This site is amazing and all the guys who have posted are amazing as well like I posted earlier I still feel like I’m in shock didn’t really feel like this would go anywhere. And I will for sure gather the rest of the pictures I have when I get home the best I remember there mostly of my dad sitting in the drivers seat as a kid acting like he’s driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wish it was in MY dining room.

@Searchingforaclassic ,
    When you didn't answer back last night, I figured you had posted the question with not much hope of an answer. At least, not expecting an answer so quickly... LOL... and you went to bed. I imagined that you would review your thread this morning and get a big surprise... and you did. LOL.

I'm so glad that the HAMB was able to "shock and freak you out"... in a good way.
    And I hope that more information can be found for you. Maybe even find the car.
    :)

Welcome to the HAMB.

loudbang, Stogy, williebill and 5 others like this.
  23. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Big surprise was putting it lightly. I’m hoping your right more info would be awesome but finding the car it’s self would be dream land for me. I keep that picture in a frame on my garage wall looking at it everyday. Getting to see the real deal would be the icing on the cake.

loudbang, Stogy, Rickybop and 3 others like this.
  24. That car has been documented and was featured in a magazine in the last few years 2000 to now. It is still around

loudbang, Stogy, Tim and 2 others like this.
  25. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Hopefully it’s owner can be located and will be willing to meet

26. loudbang likes this.
  27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I knew it. I love it.
    That car is too nice to have been taken apart.
    @Searchingforaclassic ,
    I don't want to be overly optimistic and make your head explode... Lol... but I can't help to think that you might get a ride in your grandpa's hot rod.

28. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Lol.... now you’ve got my hopes up. Hell im not gonna get much work done today due to daydreaming lol

loudbang, Stogy, flatheadpete and 3 others like this.
  29. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

30. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky