Register now to get rid of these ads!

New member in GA w/1940 buick special

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Aceswild, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Aceswild

Aceswild

Hey guys, Im new to the forum. Ive got a 1940 Buick that finally getting ready to start working on again. My grandpa gave me the car a few years back. He had got to where he couldnt work on it any more and it had been sitting for about 10 years. I was lucky enough to get it running just in time to take he and my grandma on one last ride, to thanksgiving dinner, before he passed away last Christmas. Since that time I havent done much more with it, besides cruise it around every now and then and crank it up on the weekends. Oh yeah, the car is basically 100% original and I am now the 3rd owner.

Ive finally decided that I want to turn it into something I can hop in and drive wherever I want to and not worry about it overheating, running low on brake fluid, leaking fluids on my friends driveways, etc....The car already runs great now that I tracked down all the little gremlins, but I only drive it for short joy rides at the moment

First, I want to convert to disk brakes for safety and peace of mind. Then I want to add a little power somehow. Im not sure what you can really do to the old straight 8 besides balance it, maybe get a custom intake manifold fabbed with dual carbs and put a header on it. At some point id like to drop a nailhead in it, but not right away.

Anyway, here are some pics. This is after about 40hrs of wetsanding and polishing I did right after I got it running.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Welcome aboard fellow Georgian :cool: Really nice '40 you have there.

3. jr9162

jr9162

Send me an email and I'll give you some info re your ?s about updating the engine and brakes. John

4. Aceswild

Aceswild

Thanks yall!

John, I sent you an email. Any advice is appreciated, for sure.

5. Welcome from Indiana!! Get looking 40.

6. Aceswild

Aceswild

Thanks a lot big daddy

7. Welcome from Merrimac Ma.
    That's a great looking Buick!!

8. Aceswild

Aceswild

Thanks, I appreciate it

9. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Welcome from NC and that is one beautiful Buick!

10. Aceswild

Aceswild

11. Sorry for the late welcome, nice ride!

12. Nice looking Buick, don't screw it up. Your Grandmother wouldn't like it! Welcome.

13. Aceswild

Aceswild

Thanks...I've decided to go with 41-49 roadmaster brakes. As for the motor. Keeping the ole str8 but going to bore it, mill the heads as well as port and polish, custom regrind cam, custom intake manifold and headers, and may upgrade the pistons while she is apart. Then just goin I lower it a couple of inches. I want it to appear as if it was hotrodded in the 40s.

14. Sounds like you have a good plan in mind.
    I really like that car, but i am a bit biased...mine is a '39.

The HAMB and G.R.I.T.S meetings are in your area. That is a great way to get aquainted with the hoodlums in the neighborhood. They're a good group.

The classifieds here a re great resource, but you might also want to check out the NE Georgia Swap Meet.

Welcome aboard.

15. Aceswild

Aceswild

Thanks a lot. Im always up for a good cruise in! Ill be on the lookout for upcoming events, for sure.

I'll also be checking out the swap meet!