Register now to get rid of these ads!

New member, 1952 Ford F1, zero knowledge!

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by twist my arm, Jan 18, 2019.

1. twist my arm

twist my arm

I want to start out by stating other than changing spark plugs, water pumps, thermostats, oil changes and a few other basic things I have ZERO knowledge of repairs/restoration. I will be rescuing a 1952 F1 that has been sitting in my Grandfathers back lot since ~1987. I will be 28 this year, and I have dreamt about this truck since I was in elementary school. I have stacks of "old" Classic Truck and Truckin mags, and used to occupy my time drawing pictures of it in every style I could imagine.

My Grandfather remarried and bought the truck from her father who was the original owner in '79. My father drove it to highschool ~'85 and it was parked due to an issue with the master cylinder ~'87. I will be the 4th generation in my family to get behind the wheel of this piece of history. With some determination, information from you kind folks, friends/family, and my wonderful neighbor who has offered me a bay in his garage to tinker my goal is to get it back on the road in one form or another.

I do have a few initial questions and I am not familiar with this forum or its rules, my apologies if this was the wrong place.

1. What is a basic checklist to try and crank the engine up the first time, along the lines of this roadkill episode?

2. How common is a 1952 f1 with a factory '53 flathead? F1R2NR vin = '52 F1, '53 239ci v8 with a 2BC from what I can tell.

Any build links, information you think would be relevant or helpful, or things to look out for would also be greatly appreciated!

If you read this far I applaud you, I ramble and my formatting is terrible! Hope to see you guys on the road at some point, and at the very least I will upload pictures of the old gal when I go pick her up. She will probably end up an old rat rod unless I hit the lottery, BUT I am saving her from a salvage yard and keeping her in the family. Hope some of yall get a kick out of some young fool taking on a project of this magnitude, It sure does make my day! I am located south of Greensboro NC if anyone knows of a local spot for parts or a good Flathead legend in the area. Thanks for your time and inspiration folks!

Attaching a pic of the vin# on title incase I decoded it incorrectly.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Great Intro, and story. Welcome to the HAMB. I really like the history that you have with your truck. There's a lot of members on here that can help you along. But beware of your terminology.{ like rat rods } Please read the rules. It will make things go smoother for you. The thing is, we don't do rat rods. But we do unfinished , {beater style Rods}. The rat rod thing has gone bad. A lot of people are useing plastic roadents, late model junk, like diesel motors etc. etc.. We keep the builds as if they were built pre 1965. I'm really looking foward to your pictures. There are great people on here, that's willing to HELP. Also if you have a question, you will get a greater response on the main forum, as it will be seen a lot more. It's so nice to know that the younger generation is interested in traditional Hot Rodding!:) Thanks Ron.......

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  3. twist my arm

twist my arm

Thank you for pointing out my terminology error in regards to the "rat rod", I did in fact mean leaving it unfinished. I like the look of the old steel, other than doing what I can to make it a bit safer like I really would like to keep it as period as possible. I would edit the post to reflect that but I am on mobile and I will probably screw it up. Thanks for the welcome, anything that I have to share that fits the forum I will put up!

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Welcome!!!
    Glad to have you on board.
    Take every word from Ron to heart.
    We can and will get you to the point you want to be.
    Be patient with us. This group has more knowledge than anything in the web but as old farts we get grouchy at times.
    Yes post your questions in the main board.

5. twist my arm

twist my arm

Thank you for the kind welcome, I am as patient as they come and any knowledge handed down will be greatly appreciated. This place seems to be a virtual treasure chest of American ingenuity and I am looking forward to getting my ol' hunk of steel back on the road and sharing it with you folks!

lothiandon1940 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  6. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Welcome aboard. Great story and I look forward to seeing more Regarding your F1.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

twist my arm likes this.
  7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Welcome from a guy that likes rolling projects, the story you have is great motivation, it makes me want to go out in the garage. It will be nice to see what it takes to get it running and driving again. Make sure you get a picture if possible of as many of the previous owners with you and truck as you can, that would be kool.
    Good luck with your new project!

31hotrodguy and twist my arm like this.
  8. oldNrusty

oldNrusty

Im semi local to you, lmk if you need any parts, i have a small accumulation from mine may have whatever you might need