Register now to get rid of these ads!

New magazine in the works

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T McG, Dec 12, 2012.

1. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I got this link today from a friend in the business. It looks interesting and they are supposedly going to concentrate on traditional style cars. Hope it works!

http://www.roddingusa.com/

2. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I wonder if anyone in the HAMB community knows the editor (Paul Martinez)?

Otherwise, Rodder's Journal Rules!!! ...though it's not a monthly publication

3. Sounds interesting.

4. I thought I had read his bylines before,,he has a pretty extensive back ground. HRP

Paul Martinez, Editor
    [​IMG]Well known in the hot rod/automotive community, he sold his first freelance story to Street Rodder Magazine in 1978 while attending the University of Arizona in his hometown of Tucson, Arizona. He moved to Southern California in August, 1981 and worked for Tom McMullen as Associate Editor of Street Rodder and also shot photos for the other McMullen Publishing magazines. Paul then moved across town to Hollywood and worked for Petersen Publishing as a staff photographer under Bob D’Olivo. At Petersen he shot for all seventeen monthly magazines including Hot Rod, Motor Trend, Car Craft and Guns and Ammo. In 1986 he moved back to Tucson, built a studio and continued providing editorial material to many magazines and photography to commercial clients. Paul drives a 1934 Ford 5-window coupe which he’s owned since 1975 and is working on a 1932 Ford roadster pickup.

5. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

Too bad they didn't get a graphic designer involved ... the masthead is nasty. That said, I'm curious and interested in seeing it and wish them well.

6. I would think if they expect people to Buy into this format, the first issue should be made available FREE to all that log on so you can see what it is all about. I'm not going to spend ANY money on an issue or subscription to an Ezine that I have no idea of the content or quality

7. Looks interesting, I'd pick up a copy if I saw it in the magazine rack.

8. That's the only way I would check it out,,at the newstand,,then if it looks interesting I would be a buyer. HRP

9. ronotron

ronotron

The link says its going to be online AND in print, so you can go and check it out at your local news stand.....

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, I like Paul.

Here is a pic of his Coupe.

martinez_34ford.jpg

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya Paul has been around for ever! His calanders and such were always good back in the late eighties and early ninties. Good to see him back in the hot rod deal, I'd always wondered where he went.

12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Met him at Hot Rods in the Desert a couple of years ago. Seemed very knowledgable and his resume is impressive.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2. Sounds like he is targeting the Rodders Journal type market. Could be interesting.

14. farmer12

farmer12

Certainly sounds like it could be interesting.

15. 343w

343w

Looks interesting enough, would also want to view it personally! Pretty pricey as well.

16. Whats with all the "shoe" ads in the forum?

17. Rodding USA

Rodding USA
    from Tucson, AZ

Just a quick update on Rodding USA. Issue #1 is all wrapped up and on the way to the printer. Look us up at www.RoddingUSA.com for information on our growing network of dealers and info on single copy sales and subscriptions. We will also be available on all digital newstands if you prefer to view us on a tablet or computer.

The premeir issue of Rodding USA is 112 pages, over 100 with editorial content. It is printed in full color on heavy gloss art paper. The first issue includes fourteen pages of coverage from last months Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona, CA, along with six features, tech, a few more shows and more.

The March issue will be available in just over two weeks. Take a look, we think you'll be pleased.

Paul Martinez
    Editor

18. slammed

slammed

Did he shoot (!) pix for Auto Buff too?

19. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I wish them the very best with the new magazine.

Jimbo

20. i hope it flies. there's a lot of newstand picture magazines that make me cringe when i read so much as a caption.

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Paul is good people...first met him and his wife when my wife and I stayed with them at George Poteet's ranch 20 years ago...I wish him the best.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm warming up my hot rod Kindle for this.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd just like to suggest that you decide who you are trying to satisfy... the average reader...or the corporate parts suppliers. If the information supplied is more than just a web site to buy a high priced kit then I might be interested. If it turns out to be an infomertial for kit suppliers then I wont be a customer. I may be too altruistic.

24. Rodding USA

Rodding USA
    from Tucson, AZ

To Slammed,
    Nope, never did.
    PM

25. slammed

slammed

So will you be having some tasteful babe-0ramma's in an issue or two?

26. Subscribed to "Rod&custom" for decades. Subscribed to "StreeRodder" for several years. Quit them, don't miss them.
    After seeing how they evolved I think I'll wait for 10-12 years before I make a decision on this one....

27. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Please - no proliferation of "babes" (even tasteful) in the magazine. The person that inquired as to their inclusion has a plethora of other magazines that feature OrcaBettys that you can't see around to view the feature car. Hot Rod/Custom Magazines should focus on the vehicles, not the chicks. OK to have some, just don't want to see the new mag fall victim to a trend that doesn't suit. Yeah...I like chicks, and I mostly like "tasteful" chicks, but I'm a hotrodder of a serious vein and having a herd of heifers festooning the cars is highly inappropriate. Amazing to me that you're not even off the ground yet and some horn-dog is slavering over the possibility that he might be able to view some skin (with and without ink).

merely my opinion, of course.

28. Paul is good people and real hot rodder at heart. I am sure there will a good blance in the mag for everyone. His coupe is bad ass. Can't wait for the first issue to come out. If you ever need any help with this Paul feel free to contact me you have all my info.

29. slammed

slammed

Owww, do not look at the girls then. Seriously.

30. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

I see where Mr. Matinez chimed in here so I'm going to pose a question in his direction. While looking through your site I browsed the calander. I noticed that you have the NSRA and Goodguys meets listed there but no KKOA. Now I have noticed this with a lot of publications. They mention the rodding events but what about the custom shows? Granted the custom scene isn't as large as the rodding scene but without the publications help in promoting, as they do with the rodders, this part of our culture will possibly remain in the background. Mr Jerry Titus has been working the KKOA organization for over 30 years and still they continue to be snubbed by many publishing outlets. Why don't YOU publishers give this organization the credit it deserves and help it get into the mainstream of our hobby as well? Apparently you looked up the NSRA and Goodguys dates for publishing. Why not the KKOA's?? There are many of us KUSTOM creators that will not support publications simply because the KUSTOM end of the hobby seems to be snubbed. I myself wouldn't subscribe to Rod and sometimes Custom. That publication isn't for the KUSTOM person even if it wants to appear to be so....Just food for thought ... Now please don't anybody write in and call this a complaint. IT'S NOT. It's a viewpoint, maybe a helpful hint. Maybe Mr. martinez contacted the KKOA and will do something in the future. This is here for discussion....

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013