Register now to get rid of these ads!

new kingpins?? steering really tight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58belair, Aug 20, 2011.

1. 58belair

58belair

is the steering supposed to be tight and then wear down over time?????,, i honed them to specification and are real clean

but once i put the bolts through the axle it gets really tight

any suggestions

thanks

2. dudley32

dudley32

What Vehicle...

3. They are supposed to be reamed, so they are exactly inline with each other.
    ID is only part of the story.

4. 58belair

58belair

model a front axle with 48 spindles,, i did ream them to correct size

5. F&J

F&J

You said; "streering real tight"

Are you saying the spindles were too tight even with tie rods not connected? ...or, do you mean the complete steering setup is too tight?

Spindles should not be tight, because the car will wander.

If the car steers too hard, it could be other things like a bad box, excessive caster or etc

6. 58belair

58belair

the box is not hooked up yet,,just the spindles attached!!!

i didnt wanna over hone them where i would have wobble lol

i honded them just enough where i have to slightly tap em in with a hammer

7. HotRod33

HotRod33

You ned to hone them just a little more then grease them and they should go right in......

8. When you install the wedge bolt to hold the king pin tight, the spindle seizes up?

I am going to assume you packed your thrust bearing and have everything installed correctly and properly shimmed. So if all is in good shape the axle is probably your issue. I would guess that the king pin boss is worn or out of square to the bore.

9. Ah, the rest of the information... the pins should fall in place with no effort.

10. 58belair

58belair

ok, cool thanks guys,,ill hone them a lil more because they do not just fall in , i have to tap a twist a bit to get em in,,

11. Sir, please stop and read this, the other question was, did you hone them, piloting one of the bores off of the other bore? Meaning using a piloted reamer, or a sunnen mandrel type hone with the mandrel being long enough to over stroke between the two bore ends back and forth. If you used a short connecting rod small end type mandrell and honed one end and then flipped the spindle over and honed the other, they could be perfectly to size, but not perfectly in line, hence your binding, TR

12. The term used for the CORRECT feel is a " Palm press fit ". Palm being your hand's palm. TR :D

13. 58belair

58belair

yes sir i did use a long enough reamer where i did it inline,,,im just guessing i didnt ream them enough cause soon as i bolt the spindles down with the wedge they lock up,,ill try the honing,,

14. Yes sir, sometimes the reams will get worn and not give you a true dimension. Clean the bushings and king pins good, and find that nice palm fit and try an tighten the bolts then. Let us know how you make out, TR