Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New Kansas law

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sunbeam, Feb 23, 2018.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam

Kansas is about to get a law that will get you a $100 fine for wheel spinning or tire squealing. Yes it will be a moving violation.

2. ...and a load of outlaws are born! ;)

3. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Give me a bill number and I'll talk to my rep.
    Pete

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  4. Is this a state law?

In Wichita that can fall under the existing violation "Exhibition of Speed" which carries a 111.50 fine.

Pinstriper40 and porknbeaner like this.

5. 392

Crazy shit but typical.

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

It's house bill 2534 For the Wichita Eagle there was a case of a burn out where the court had a problem with Exhibition of speed ticket when the car didn't move.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Points on your license here in Michigan along with a big fine.

8. They used to deal out tickets like that in Missouri. It was called "Expression of Power". I think back in the '70s it was about a 50 dollar + court costs but you got points on your license for it too.

Bad deal all around, but its their state and they make the laws.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

"But Officer, my 'traction control' momentarily malfunctioned!"

10. Is it a ticket or an award?

11. I read through that amended Bill (2534) and it really just changed the verbiage. There was an existing penalty for "Exhibition of speed" which included rapid acceleration, unnecessary tire squeal and/or smoke, sliding upon acceleration, and causing the vehicle to lose traction with the road surface, among other things.

The new language reads: No person shall operate any motor vehicle under normal road conditions in a manner that, whether from a stationary position or while the motor vehicle is in motion, intentionally causes: (a) The tires of the motor vehicle to break traction with the surface of the road; (b) the tires to spin leaving marks on the road; or (c) squealing of tires.

This is really just some rewording, I don't see anything new....other than the specific mention of marks on the road.

12. LOL I got an idea that the law is supposed to be a way to teach the guys who get out and act stupid. I doubt that it will be used that way, it will probably be a way for small towns to gain revenue.

@Sancho I would hope that they are going to allow for snow and ice.

They need to make and enforce a law in both of our states for running tires not rated for bad weather. We followed a Nissan sport coupe the other day running street/track tires I was still in 2WD and not slipping a tire in the snow and ice, he was all over the road. I was worried about passing him so I just backed off and let him get far enough away that I wouldn't tag him if/when it got away from him.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  13. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Sancho has it correct. I'll save my ammo for bigger game.
    Pete

14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

We still use bleach, which actually cleans the road as it gets stains out. :D

Attached Files:

15. LOL me and my little brother (RIP) were doing bleach burnouts in the town square in Camdenton on our bikes when we were young and dumb . . . Finally his bike squirted out from under him, the Sherriff's Deputy just walked out of the courthouse and handed him a ticket. The he wrote me a summons for drunk and disorderly. I said, "I aint drunk." He said, "Well there aint no sucha thing as takin marihuana pills and disorderly." :eek:o_O:oops::D:D:D

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like it was written for the guys who use a line lock at a stop light and fill the street full of tire smoke. I'd imagine that was the offense mentioned in Sunbeam's post #6. The guy beat and exhibition of speed ticket because there was no speed. Evidently it happens enough so that they changed the language in the RCW. Just having retired from an organization where almost every rule change was reactive to something that happened or someone did I can see that happening.

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Lol , Pork. Or..... " I'm gonna call your Dad!!" Don't have to, that's him driving the car. ;)

porknbeaner likes this.
  18. I don't see a problem here. Yes, we ALL have done it, but really? It's not a safe practice.

XXL__ and Robert J. Palmer like this.
  19. LOL I seldom drive in Kansas but with my current project getting away from a light without a little spin will take a certain amount of finesse. LOL

20. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Bet it is geared more to the crouch rocket crowd

21. Exhibition of speed. Been illegal here in CA for at least 55 years

22. SASROD

SASROD

How about a truck with mud tires? Makes more of a roar or growl, than a squeal. Does that count?

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C'mon guys, they really need the extra revenue in Kansas.

big duece likes this.
  24. 440 ft pounds (more or less), 2000- lbs (lean toward minus) and 7" tires. Without the mill two men can pick up either end without straining. :D Haven't counted the gear yet probably a 4:11 or a 3.73.

25. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Oh shit, spit coffee on that one. Not to derail a serious thread... but I was proud AF over a 2 page "fix it" ticket I got in my chrome yellow 61 BelaIr. Bluedots, blownout glasspacks, no wipers, no front plate, I'm driving like a fool around town. CHP pulls me in for rapping those pencil tips past a retaining wall. I make some joke about him running out of donuts, and it's on!
    Short version, he includes a citation for "no seatbelt", and I knew better. So I subpoenaed him, reminded the judge what year the vehicle was , that DOT factory seatbelts weren't a thing in 61, so the judge tossed the whole thing and admonished the officer for not knowing better. I felt like Moses leading the Hebrews out of Egypt that day!!

26. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Exhibition of speed, became quite familiar with that ticket in my younger days. Stupid really, I could see if your at a corner doing a big smokey burnout but if your leaving a corner with just alittle bit of tire spin and noise they ought to leave it alone and yes I got tickets under both circumstances.

27. They are not even allowed to pursue them in most MD jurisdictions. Caught in the act of a felony might get a rice rocket pursued but otherwise they are not supposed to give chase.

28. What if your shift kit chirps second?

29. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Big deal. This law has been in effect in almost every state for 75 years or so. Hardly ever enforced unless there is a major concern.

29AVEE8 likes this.
  30. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

i got a ticket for that in the early 80's, in Kansas