Register now to get rid of these ads!

History New Jersey Timing Association

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank Carey, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I have written a history of the New Jersey Timing Association. It is very lengthy and I have many pictures so I have decided, with Ryan's concurrence, to post it in numerous separate threads. They will be in chronological order starting with the founding of the association and ending with it's dissolution. This will enable HAMBers to comment on each thread as it's posted so that a comment can be easily associated with the picture or text to which it applies. Many of the pictures I can only
    associate with a particular show or drag strip. I welcome comments that can identify a car by its builder or owner or info on whether it still exists. Most of the pictures come from the Association's scrap books which still exist and also from family members of association founders. I will need to devise a numbering system for pictures - perhaps by thread and with a sequence number. I will need help from you readers as my skills in this forum are limited to the most basic of needs. I'll need to insert links at the beginning or the 2nd and later thread to relate them to the earlier threads. I don't know how to do this. And I'll need a way for a reader of an early thread to find the next thread. A simple naming convention might be best for this. I may create threads for specific subjects that will not relate to the threads that are in date sequence. Such special threads might be for timing equipment or member clubs. This history has been completed. Because I originally formatted it for a magazine, I just need to figure out how to best adapt and post it to this forum. It has never been published elsewhere.

Comments on all of the above are welcome. If you would like to communicate with me "off forum", suggest a way to exchange email addresses. Probably best to not post email addresses on forum.

I'll start by identifying my sources:

Scrapbooks of the New Jersey Timing Association
    Notebooks of Fred Shulz
    Bob Daum
    Kurt Grotyohann
    Pete VanIderstine
    Dick VanNiekerk
    Ron Meola
    Ed Broadback
    H.A.M.B.

About me:

I joined the New Jersey Timing Association in 1956 while still in high school. I had joined the Valve Rappers hot rod club in my hometown of West Orange, N.J. and soon became the club's representative to NJTA meetings. I became active in the NJTA and was elected an officer in 1961. I was also the club's representative in dealings with Fred Shulz, designer and builder of all NJTA timing equipment. I am an active street rodder today and enjoying retirement in Florida.

I should have the first thread of history posted in the next week or two.

Frank Carey

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Zerk, Louie, 1935Ron and 3 others like this.
  2. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Can't wait for this Frank!

loudbang likes this.
  3. cool....thanks for your efforts to get the history out there !

Zerk and loudbang like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have one teaser/promo pic to post?

loudbang likes this.

5. loudbang

loudbang

Good one I really like history stories :) I would suggest when you make a new thread put the link to it in the old thread so we know where to look for the next one. And post the photos full size not thumbnails.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Zerk likes this.
  6. Second time reading the entire thread, " Outstanding "

Zerk, loudbang and Frank Carey like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker