Register now to get rid of these ads!

New in SC, '52 Chevy... couple of questions.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Indychus, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

Hey guys, I've been a member here for a while, but never posted. I just acquired a '52 4 door styleline deluxe and I'm about ready to start cutting it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It needs a bit of work, but I traded my daily driven body dropped mini for it, so I feel like I came out ahead. I plan on eventually swapping the rear, linking and bagging it, and maybe a mustang II up front. For righht now, it will just get a low static drop until I can afford to lose the close rear end.

Anyways, I have built a lot of cars, but all 1972 or newer. This '52 is a whole new ballgame for me. My main issue is a lot of slop in the steering, and the car likes to wander around the road. I'm thinking rebuilding the front end will cure it, but I don't see anything obviously worn out. Has about 4 inches of side to side play in the steering wheel. Any advice is appreciated.

2. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

With the weight of the vehicle on the front wheels, have someone turn the wheel back and forth until they feel resistance while you observe; first the pitman arm, then all the linkage from the pitman arm all the way out to the wheels. Probably some slop in every joint which equals a lot at the wheel.

3. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. The wife is still pissed for me trading a 2005 model truck on a '52. When she gets over it, I'll drag her outside and make her turn the wheel for me haha.

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Indy.....Indy.