Register now to get rid of these ads!

New & Improved!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

When using the app, just tap the "latest" button and you'll get the same view.

2. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Well Done !! Looks like everyone is onboard so far !!!

3. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

App shmapp.....im on my cell got 6 chrome HAMB windows open!!! Lovin' it!!!

Never could get used to the app...sorry....

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I like the app for three reasons:

1. Notifications are awesome (they are only half working now, but should be fixed soon)

2. I love the "latest" tab, because you can change the view to see only the latest threads that you have participated in.

3. Image uploading.

5. seatex

seatex

Now, THAT works.................just no R#+ R@* FORUMS, PLEASE!
    Good job, all..........................................

6. As one of those "old farts that hate change", I commend you in your efforts and your decision. "Bravo", "way to go", "you da man" and "I like it, thank you"! I think that I just covered all the periods, just trying to keep it "traditional".

7. A great idea, that should please everyone.

Some questions:
    will you and the other mods go through every old thread and move them in the appropriate forums?
    How far will you go back?
    Will you also delete older threads that were off topic, but slipped through?

8. mgbtc

mgbtc

I really all appreciate all of the time and work put into this, but I enjoyed simple. But I will get used to it.

9. 416Ford

416Ford

I am glad you were able to come up with a solution. I agree with HRP on this one also.
    Thanks Boss.

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of us have had confidence in you all the way, Boss! :)

11. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

I like it!! Remember when the classifieds were put in their own section and people bitched about that?

The changes are great and Thank You Ryan for doing what you do.

12. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Hmmmmm well that would certainly cater to my overinflated ego.....LOL

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Uh yeah, if you like simple you only need one forum. This one:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Using that link it will be as if the H.A.M.B. never changed.

Please read the entire article. I go over that.

14. Specificity (word for the week) becomes inevitable when something grows as much as
    this site has in the last few years, and this latest revision should certainly please most
    of the people most of the time. Sounds like a win-win to me......

15. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan,

I for one had absolutely no doubt. Thanks for the the work you and the mod squad do and for finding a way to please most people on the HAMB.

Well done.

Thor

16. Nocero

Nocero

Perfect couldn't ask for anything better!

17. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing!

You've managed to satisfy everybody and, in this highly diverse group, that's SOME accomplishment. Myself, I enjoy looking through all the postings and choosing which ones to read, since I like a lot of different stuff and have the time, but I appreciate the fact that a lot of HAMBers have time constraints and the sub-forums help them use their time more effectively.

Kudos, Ryan. Have you ever thought about running for elected office ? :D

18. Got a little scared when you mentioned even more specific forums, but I settled down when I saw the "catch all" forum, the HAMB.

Nice job.

19. Model T1

Model T1

We did????????? :confused: Oh yea we really did!:D

20. Being primarily a custom guy I was excited about the changes but I have to say this latest incarnation has curbed my excitement a bit. I will wait to see how it pans out but to me given the low percentage of custom threads on this board it has at best left things the way they were (you can find them on the main board) or diluted them into two separate boards (Traditionally styled/Traditional Custom). While this may work well for the Hot Rod side of things I worry it may not bet so great on the Custom side of things. My guess is that a large number of the custom threads are not going to fit in the Traditional Custom Forum (I would suggest there are probably at least half a dozen in their now that don't belong if period perfect is the criteria) and custom guys will really be in the same boat they were before swimming upstream against the rush of hot rod threads.

It will be interesting to see how much leeway is given to period perfect because the majority of the best customs built on this board would not fit under a strictly period perfect guideline

21. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

When I first started to read this thread I thought "oh no, 5 forums now...I didn't even like three"....but the last one brought it all home. I don't see how anyone can complain about this solution...it's PERFECT.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You've absolutely found the biggest hole in this new direction of mine and this was something I thought long and hard about.

I feel like most forums are only as good as they are moderated. And a big part of moderation is being able to classify threads - or in this case what is a custom and what is not.

For example, a guy buys a '53 Chevrolet, puts a SBC in it, lowers it, and adds caps. Is that a custom or a hot rod or just an old car with some appointments to it?

The answer might seem easy to some of you... but when dealing with thousands of people it is not. There are so many variables and it's very hard to draw a stiff line between them to decipher between what one guy might think is a custom and one guy might think is just old car with some custom style to it.

Of course, with period cars this is much easier to do... and, at the end of the day, this site's main focus is on tradition.

So, I decided to have dedicated forums to traditional hot rods and traditional customs... and combine the two for the traditional "style" forum. I hope it works. It might not. And if it doesn't, I'll look at it again.

All that said, at least try to bask in your rather large victory here - you have a forum exclusive to traditional customs. I think that's pretty cool.

23. Well played, sir. Very well played.

24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I didn't get any cake.
    Ryan, thanks for keeping the original board for guys like me that don't like change.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. You don't need any cake, go eat some veggies!:D

26. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

wow...didn't know you could see my bulbous belly thru the screen...:eek:

27. Webcams Larry ;)

28. That's one of the perks of being an Alliance Member. Cake, decoder ring and let us not forget the secret handshake....

29. Awesome, brilliant solution. Well done.

30. Don't get me wrong I am definitely basking in the dedicated Custom forum and think it is VERY cool. It is the first place I check when I am on the H.A.M.B.. I also completely understand your focus on the traditional aspect of the board it is by far my favorite part. But my concern is less with the type of situation that you brought up and more in a situation like if Cleatus started a build thread today on his "40 Chevy, clearly a custom but with Mustang II and a 4 link under it so hardly period correct. Leadsledmerc's 37" Chevy coupe is in the same boat and I would suggest a lot of what Alex Gambino builds would also fall in this category as just some examples. Would all of these builds be put in the traditionally styled forum?

I guess what I am getting at is if the criteria for the Traditional Custom forum are too narrow given the already small percentage of custom threads there just won't be enough material to sustain it and it will become stagnant. I worry that if things get too slow the custom focused members might stop looking in as often and slow things down even further. I think we are already getting a lot less input from some of the stronger custom voices on this board and would hate to see it drop even more.