Register now to get rid of these ads!

New hoodlum with a hemi.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Zane Luekenga, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Zane Luekenga

Zane Luekenga

Greetings, wise masters of hot rodding! My name is Zane Luekenga and I am a student at McPherson College in the Automotive Restoration program. I definitely believe in keeping tradition alive and respected, and I know you fellers do too. I recently started working for a restoration shop here in KS and I just happened to stumble upon a hemi owned by my boss. Well, it has been my dream to own an early hemi and even though I told myself I didn't need it, those cries were muffled by the hemi! ANYWAY! The engine is a 1956 DeSoto 330ci Fire Flite S24 and I was just wondering if I could get any information at all pertaining to it. I want to build it as traditionally as I can, but also make it solid for daily use. I don't want it to be riding the fence, just solid....First question ever: Should I regrind or do y'all know of anyone that makes custom cams for these?

Yes, I am new to engines and this hemi is going to be my first rebuild which is sketchy (so I've read). But it's a hemi and it's worth every penny to me and mine. Thanks for any and all info!

2. k9racer

k9racer

WELCOME from North Alabama. I think you will fit in rather well here. Bobby

3. Welcome, Zane. I like your plans. You may want to post your HEMI questions over on the main forum where more folks tend to read. There are lots of HEMI experts on here who I'm sure will be glad to advise. Be prepared, HEMI stuff is usually a tad bit expensive.

4. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

5. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

Welcome to the HAMB. You found yourself a wonderful old Hemi and you will find a lot of information on the hemi-tech.. To answer your guestion, I think a regrind is your only option for the Desoto Hemi.

6. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi n welcome nice engine. I'm not one of those hemi experts but your gonna have to save lots of them pennies.

7. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Hey Zane!
    Coye here. I'll give you all the info I got when I did my 341. 2nd the tip to check out Early Hemi Tech here on the HAMB. Lots of great info on the raised deck DeSotos. Now if only you could find a Model A close by to put it in...

8. 1EvilPaul

1EvilPaul

Welcome, I like.