Register now to get rid of these ads!

New here got a quick one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gavinmosher, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'm too late again...I thought I smelled blood in the water...just didn't know where the feeding frenzy was...

any big pieces left?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. smarg

smarg

Still some left, and more coming...

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Well, I guess the request for help "without criticizing" wasn't too effective. He probably didn't realize this was going to be like tossing some fresh meat into the lion's cages at the zoo.

Gavin, yes, as you can see, most on here will think the concept in general will look stupid. You came to a great place. Take a look around for a little and see what you can find here. Keep and open mind and I'm sure you will come to realize there are other cool ways to build a nice truck without it having to be what is called a rat rod. The hamb is more about nice solid, traditionally inspired cars and trucks with emphasis on quality work and workmanship. As such, slapped together junky parts as most rat rods tend to be isn't what is going on here. If that really is what you want, cool, but unfortunately probably best to try to get some support elsewhere.

But, hope you stick around and maybe refocus your project or your wording if nothing else and learn something and enjoy like pretty much the rest of us have as well.

Honestly, I think with a little rewording and possible thought process revision, the basic concept is definitely workable. It will all come down to the essence behind the project, whether it be another rat rod or something a bit more traditionally inspiring.

The dual wheels will automatically kick it into work truck mode vs. custom truck and that may be less appealing to some. But, no reason it can't still be done in a cool traditional sort of way. It might take a while to digest what that really is. But hell, give it a shot. Put some good thought and hard work into it and see what you can come up with. If that doesn't come out too well, change it to something that does.

4. noxided

noxided

Isnt this all way off topic now?

5. noxided

noxided

Here is a good version of an old work truck with dual wheels. One day I'll have a car hauler like this, but painted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is a good version of what some would call a rot rod, but if built properly and had a great paint job, it would work on this forum. By the way, whoevers truck this is, its awesome. Other than the bumper and tail lights.
    [​IMG]

6. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

Perhaps someone should define what a R_t Rod is. So all the Gavins of the world would know. I am building a custom 35 ford pick up that now has been turned into a coupe. Is it a R-t or a traditional custom. all I know it has cost alot along the way. I had another car guy call it a R_t and I almost got offended...lol

7. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

Don't let them get to ya Gavin. You will see some of the veterans on here were born with a ton of talent and tradition. Sometimes they cant see past the fact that "RR" sometimes means, Novice, on a slim budget, and what is available to me at this time. A real car guy can't belittle another car guy that has tried to the best of his abilities. The young and or beginner guys come to this board because they know without a doubt that there is more traditional talent here than anywhere in the world and who better to ask advice and input than the veterans of the craft. Also, the old schoolers have no idea that if you Google "Rat Rod Message Board" the HAMB is the #1 answer. Probably made Ryan throw up right there but hey, its just the way it is. I have a feeling thats how many of the newbies arrive here.

8. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Really now? How the hell could you word that any simpler? :rolleyes:

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And me. I really dont understand how people can fail to grasp this concept. Then they try to justify it by saying "well I like ____ ". What anyone "likes" has nothing to do with whether or not it belongs on HAMB. I OWN cars that are not HAMB friendly, and like them VERY much, but I dont post photos or build threads of them on the HAMB. I also have a hard-on for heavy trucks from the '40s and '50s, but you dont see me posting photos of U-series Autocars here either.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well said, and I STRONGLY agree with you, the numbers of totally off-topic posts has skyrocketed recently. As more and more guys come in here who seem to have NO INTEREST in traditional cars, I think theres a very real danger that the HAMB is going to become so watered down that it will BECOME a generic "street rod" board. Its well on its way.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, at least ONE guy got the message.

12. Must be a lot of dudes snowed in today that this thread is still going......:p

13. DougHH

DougHH

So i just googled Gavin Mosher Ratrod to see if i could find more photographs of this special truck but all i got was this, no joke:
    [​IMG]

14. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

here's the world according to dave:

if it's rusty, fix it
    if it's primer, paint it
    if it belongs in a tool box, don't put it on a car
    seats in some of the cars are not seats - they're juck
    tractor or boat parts don't belong on a car
    if it doesn't make you think you're going to die, it's not fast enough

15. RichG

RichG

Some, there's a few guys still chummin', give it a bit and some more will be along to defend:
    Ratrods
    The English Language
    Personal Freedom
    Panty liners
    Panties
    Posers
    Perfectionists
    ...and a slew of other crap that doesn't amount to anything.

16. dawg

dawg

who took my beer?...

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm at work...pretty much the same thing.:rolleyes:

18. badshifter

badshifter

It's not the lack of knoweledge or terminology that is the problem. It's the fucking attitudes of those who are told wrong time, wrong place and don't respect that. You don't walk into the wrong house, or wrong place of business and say yeah, I know I'm in the wrong place but I'm doing my thing anyhow. Then the equally in the wrong place jack-asses rush to defend the 1st wrong place jack ass. It's no different here. You FNG rat rodders are not being asked to conform. Your being asked to learn, or leave. It's not forced upon you. FUCK ME is it so hard to get? Not the place for you. Simple goodbye.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well said.

20. old bone

old bone
    from maine

i hit land for the first time in 3 weeks and i see this here..too funny..it's like riding a moped ..or having a red headed step child..(both of i definitely believe in)..it's just a stupid term..the rr thing..if he is remotely into building a car from scratch..frame..drive train.. american vintage tin body..everything..he is a hot rodder to me...most people cant even change their oil...welcome!!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

21. Oh crap, I guess the carnage isn't over.

I have a confession to make. Out of curiosity I went over to killbillet just to see wtf. OMFG! All I've got to say is there must be a whole lot of tractors out there missing their grills and a few heaters missing their grates! I'm feeling woozy!

22. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

This thread just won't die. Kinda like the one a few days ago about some fools welding without hoods and then wondering why their eyes fely like a sand box.

23. gavinmosher

gavinmosher

Look sorry to offend everyone I'm not out to start arguments over something simple I bought this truck wrecked and on it's way to a scrap yard to be crushed second if I honestly did cause this much rukkas over a simple truck build I suppOse I misundestood what I thought to be a common bond between all custom car builders and enthusiasts. To each his own in my own mind I lOve true original hotrods and would love to build one but I don't have the budget to enjoy the true build so sometimes you have to take what you can and just roll with it! I appreciate the Input and honestly don't mInd a little heated conversation sometime but please dont instult me.

As per introduction I apologize for trying to keep it short and sweet

My name is Gavin Mosher I am 20 years old and an avid car enthusiast. I see beauty in everything and anything motorized with wheels. I operate a forklift for a living and live in sw Missouri the sight of a beautiful * sarcasm * blizzard

24. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

The kids got class, more than some others on here...honestly wanted direction...time to close the thread, he was wanting support not sarcasm!

25. Try 67-72chevytrucks.com!They are not just for 67-72 its for all chevy trucks.Good luck with your build.

26. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

uh huh. so let's all hug it out? it doesn't matter if you don't read the rules, don't abide by them, ask dumb questions and want to build a rat rod?

he didn't get "support" because he brought nothing to the table that has to do with anything that this site represents. it's pretty simple math.

i will agree that this thread should be closed.

27. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Welcome back Gavin. It doesn't have to take a lot of money to do a good traditional project. Infact, it is even more traditional if you don't. Just need to do the honest best you can with what you have. But don't sell yourself short either. You'd be surprised with how much you can actually do with very little. Just like they used to do. And they weren't shooting for building lesser projects either. A lot of good stuff built in home shops with just a few simple tools and minimal money. Just time, learned skills, and a determined approach. Good luck on the project.

28. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

I'll second the closing....But I'm glad to see a 20 yr old wanting to get involved in the hobby , whether it's to your likeing or not!

29. H3O

H3O

i'll take my popcorn buttered!!

30. old bone

old bone
    from maine

what year is that truck in your avaitar? looks like a real traditional rod
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.