Register now to get rid of these ads!

New here from Northern California

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by STRANGER_DANGER, Aug 19, 2012.

1. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

Well, Well, Well, it is finally time! i have been lurking around for a few weeks and my lady and i finally picked up our new ride, a 1950 DeSoto Custom Coupe.

A little bit about myself, i work and live in Santa Rosa, i work at a local Mercedes Benz independent repair shop and i love my job! i've always been into anything with an engine, whether it be a lawn mower or a big rig and everything in between! previously i was working on a 1950 studebaker champion 4 door (it was a major project and not really anywhere near being road worthy), until we recently moved and within a month of moving into our new place a neighbor complained about the car in the driveway and we got a nice little not from the city saying we had 7 days to do something about the car or it would be towed... long story short we decided to cut our losses and get back in the market for a running and driving project.

by running and driving i meant maybe a little rough around the edges that i could fart around in to and from work in the mean time, and low and behold we came across this GEM! we picked the car up about 4 days ago, and for a little while i sort of sat there scratching my head saying "what the hell!? this thing is almost too clean! how do i make it mine!?" haha but i quickly found some stuff to keep me busy, i will keep you all updated on that as we go! I hope to meet a lot of great people around here and i look forward to all your input!

p.s. before you start suggesting i chop the top and put air bags on it and put a v8 in it, leave that for another car, cause this baby is staying pretty damn close to stock. I love that stuff, but just not for this car.

-Troy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

Those pics were taken after about 2 hours of washing and polishing the car. the chrome shined up NICE! although its probly not quite as good as it looks in the pics, there is some pitting here and there when you look closely.

3. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

well, the first order of business was cleaning the dirty old engine! you couldn't even tell the poor thing was painted under all that dirt and dust.

Attached Files:

4. 52pig

52pig

Welcome to the forum. Lot's of good info and some good people, take advantage of the knowledge here.

The car looks great, see you guys around.

5. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Welcome! Cool car for sure!

6. Vet65te

Vet65te

Very clean DeSoto. Welcome to the HAMB, neighbor.
    Mike T.

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Hi from Florida:

That who really nice looking DeSoto you got there.

Where did you find the car?

Jimbo

8. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

Thank you sir! where in rohnert park do you live? i lived in RP my whole life until about 2 years ago came up to SR... quite the car collection you got! we should get together for a drive sometime!

9. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

Thanks Jimbo! i found the car on craigslist, my lady and i were lucky to be the first ones to go down and see it and the seller really liked us so she actually held the car for us for a week and a half! nice lady, she lost her husband about 7 years ago, and the car sat for about 4 years until she finally decided to get rid of it. she had her mechanic get the car started again, but thats about it, its having a few minor running issues, and the generator isn't charging all that well...

10. Vet65te

Vet65te

Troy - I've been in R.P. since '77, in the 'E' section. Bought the house new (original owner, low miles ;-). Your DeSoto has very similar body lines to my new neighbor's project car he brought with him from Mesa AZ, a '52 Chrysler Windsor. Not too many car shows left in the year but one that's coming up is the one up on the Russian River this month on the 25th, small show but nice turnout and great location for a show. Check out the Monte Rio Rec Dept website.
    Send your home email via PM and I'll forward a pic I took today of my neighbors Chrysler.
    Mike T.

11. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

sent you a PM