Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New here from Ky 1958 fairlane kustom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BouncingBenson, Apr 25, 2022.

1. 20220422_201923.jpg

Hello everyone, my name is Rob and this is Benson my 1958 Fairlane. I have got so much helpful information from these message boards for years now but never felt I had anything worth posting. Benson is a work in progress and i'm not sure if I will ever truly be done. All work was done by my 13 year old daughter, my wife and I. Benson never left the tiny 1 car garage he was built in from strart to finish. I will be posting a build thread with all his information and my future plans and welcome any feedback. Thanks for all the help along the way that i must admit was obtained by lurking lol.. 20220422_201923.jpg
    Rob

2. Rob. welcome aboard. Nice '58 but not digging the lighting at all. In our state that is illegal (unless parked). As a sincerely traditional forum most of us old farts (I am now 76) won't be in to the back lighting. How about some more pics (perhaps without the lights) so we can see more of your build.

3. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

Welcome. I am from down near Russellville. Nice car. I like it.

chryslerfan55 and BouncingBenson like this.
  4. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not too much into the lighting. But that green reminds me of the '60's car shows I used to go to at the Baltimore Civic Center. Gene.

5. Budget36

Budget36

Car looks pretty nice!

BouncingBenson likes this.
  6. Nice '58, I've always had a soft spot for those. But lose the lighting, that's tuner car crap....

7. Moedog07

Moedog07

Welcome into the light. Lurking for years doesn't make you a creep or does it?

Nice Ford! We had a '58 wagon for a while. Post more about it soon.

8. Welcome and looks like a nice 58. Looking forward to seeing what all you have done to it. But, I am also not a fan of the lights. :rolleyes: Would like to see a pic with them not on to better see the car. :D

9. Budget36

Budget36

Is it though (tuner car)? I know we’ve seen it since the fast and furious thing, but (not to that extent) I recall it in the 70’s, well before the “tuner craze”. @alphabet soup speaks of the 60’s.
    No clue, but was it a custom thing “back in the day” then faded and resurfaced?
    But, the lights seem more of a “look and my lights” than “look at my car”.

Then again, no reason to drag out a drop light to work on things;)

HSF, chryslerfan55, Tim and 2 others like this.
  10. As I recall the '60s thing was strictly at shows, guys would put lighting under the car for display. It didn't catch on...
    It briefly surfaced again on street cars in the '70s but the cops were more than willing to write tickets for it, so it didn't last long then either.

That's a pretty car, the lighting is a distraction.

chryslerfan55, SS327 and Budget36 like this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool ride - yep, looking forward to more pics & details

12. Hey, those types of lights can be added on or they can be taken away just as easily. No worries,
    It just depends on what's happening in your corner of the world........ so no judgment here. :rolleyes: But, yea, we tend to like just the way Jesus and Moses did it back in the day. So you get extra points for "traditional" on this forum.
    I like the choice of paint colors...... 'makes even a Ford look really good. LOL Nice!
    You're getting a rough welcome here but stick around a while to get what we're all about. We are all "car guys" with wide-ranging tastes but we are selective on what we post here out of respect to the intent of this forum.
    Again..... sweet looking Ford.

13. Just.dale

Just.dale

Welcome!!!

14. The lights simply disappear with the flip of a switch .

BUT THAT CAR !!!!’ Jeeez Louise !!!!!!

More man more more more MOAR !!!!!!

HSF, wraymen, Budget36 and 1 other person like this.
  15. BJR

BJR

I have seen cars back in the late 50's / 60's with lights in the wheel wells, so it is traditional. Nice 58 by the way.

16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was in college in Orange County in 1969 lights in the wheel wells where popular on some lowered cars. Not my thing but still traditional to some. Nice car regardless.

17. williebill

williebill

That's a gorgeous car. As for all the comments on the lights, I'd guess that your 13 year old likes them. That makes it OK.

18. Thanks everyone. Let me clear the air about the green lights everyone seems to not like. That was my daughter's choice to add and she installed them completely by herself. To be honest, if she had wanted to glue sea shells all over I would have let her, well no, maybe not sea shells lol. But my point is it got her off the phone and into the garage with me and now she has an interest in cars that goes beyond just looking. I'm sure there will be many things some don't like and will point out about the build, I'm sure the shaved doors handles and trim and the air bags will not appeal to all but we are fairly happy with how it came out. Thanks again for all the compliments..
    Rob

19. Since your daughter did the lights leave them on all the time. Family matters. This place, not so much.

20. Makes perfect sense now. :D And, glad your daughter is involved. I have two teenage boys messing with this old junk, so can relate. :cool:

21. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Nice car! But we are old here, underlighting is kinda gay

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

23. Oh, and one of my boys drives a pink car...so, I can’t say much. :D

24. Welcome Rob. Glad to see a Lurker and Family get on board. The lights don't offend me even if I wouldn't do it to one of mine. I get the reason why. I also am Big on 57-58 Fords and currently have several. When I saw the header 58 Fairland Kustom and Kustom spelled with a K I instantly opened it up. I gotta tell ya I was only disappointed because the Body looks total stock. Not that I'm disappointed with a clean 58 Hardtop but for me removing the front override center bar and adding Lake pipes doesn't make it Kustom with a K. It is however a very nice example of a loved 58 Fairlane.

25. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

Looks great. Waiting to see more pictures.

26. Thank you for the kind words.
    I do believe the shaved door handles, the shaved side trim, the side mirrors shaved, shaved antenna, all emblems shaved, shaved trunk lock, the 3 stage pearl white, the custom mixed green, custom interior and the air bags should qualify it to be a Kustom with a K but I may be wrong... More pics coming in a few
    Rob

27. I would call it a kustom from what you describe.

28. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome Rob.
    That is a very cool 58 Fairlane.
    So I assume the hood latch and release mechanism is well lubricated and is in proper adjustment?

It's been an interesting topic on a couple of threads on the HAMB.
    Thanks for posting the pictures.
    From Dennis.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  29. I like it. Love the colors and the shavings.

Mike

VANDENPLAS and BouncingBenson like this.
  30. Yes sir, when i bought the car the hood latch was off and the cable was stuck and the previous owner had taken a pry bar to the hood and used the fender for leverage at sone point lol. I will tell you i always store the car with the hood open and every time i close it i make damn sure it works lol. Im sure one day it will bite me though.
    Rob