Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Hampshire YOM plates?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bgaro, Sep 19, 2013.

1. bgaro

bgaro

anyone registered there cars with year of manufacture plates. what's the scoop.
    i talked to the state, and they said there's a waiver you need in concord, but you can only run an old plate in the front. anybody?

2. rattlesnakedaddy

rattlesnakedaddy

When I looked into it with the town, they said I could run front and back YOM plates with a special waver. Still working on the body of the '54, so haven't put it on the road yet. No knowledge beyond what the town stated.

RSD

3. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

hit josh up bud. he knows everything i think

4. bgaro

bgaro

i guess you gotta register with regular plates, then get the waiver. the state always seems wishy washy on this stuff. they told me i couldn't run fenderless too. josh ('54 caddy) where are you?

5. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I dont know EVERYTHING haha.

This is the way it was explained to me. You can run YOM plates on front and back. This is new to NH this year. You must have 2 original plates that are the year of your car. You register your car as antique, they give you normal antique plates and a normal registration. You then have to go to one of the big state DMV's (manchester, nashua, salem, concord, ect) and get your YOM plates registered. They issue you another special registration that points to your normal registration and allows you to run the YOM plates. You must carry both registrations with you and you must carry your regular new plates you were issued in the car. If you get pulled over, you have to show both registrations and the original plates.

Again, this is how it was explained to me. If anyone else knows more, please feel free to correct me or chime in.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  6. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

If you're registering it as "antique" its supposed to be original, showroom condition. They normally dont ask or tell you that though unless you get someone who is trying to be a DMV hero. Technically, we are supposed to be registering them as "street rod" but I think there is additional inspections due at that point. I guess what Im saying is, just run it Bud

7. bgaro

bgaro

i can't ever get a straight answer from the state, this is why i gotta ask. hah.

8. I hope to get my 33 Chevy on the road in the spring. I was planning on getting it inspected so I could run a "Street Rod" plate. I didn't know I could run YOM plate if I register it as an antique. I'll have to think about that.

9. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

A Street Rod requires an initial certification done by the state registry. Then an annual safety inspection. The certifications are done by the same inspectors and locations as a salvage vehicle. The certification must remain with the car. Safety Inspections are handled by a normal inspection station of your choice. Choose wisely. Dig for info here: www.nh.gov/dmv. Currently there is no info there on running a YOM pair of plates on that site. DMV folks may or may not know about them.

I just went through SR registration on this one. I am running an SR plate not DOM.

[​IMG]

10. bgaro

bgaro

bump, for the new hambshire guys.

11. Was there any specific things they were looking for when the DMV did the inspection besides working lights?

12. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

This link spells out the NH street rod requirements. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXI/266/266-113.htm
    Nothing in that RSA is outrageous to implement.

The DMV inspector will also want to match the VIN/Serial no on the documentation you present to the number on the car. If your is constructed be sure to present all the receipts for the major components.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  13. Living the good life these days retired and building stuff in the East Tennessee mountains buttt... I was certified to do NH state inspections for 30+ years so I know a bit about that I can add. When I moved 2 years ago the YOM plates were still just a dream though. The inspection thing is something I can speak on. The biggest difference I can think of is Antique plates only require inspections to be done every 2 years. Everything else is once a year just like your daily driver. But technically with Antique plates you're only supposed to use the car on weekends, to or from scheduled events or to or from having repairs done and the car is "supposed" to be stock and unmodified. Nobody I know has ever been hassled about it though. I love the way TN does it. We have NO state inspections of any kind and Antique plates are good forever. You pay a one time fee of about $48 and they never need to be renewed. The plate says "permanent" on it and has no year decal. They also only have rear plates in fact I have a 1967 NH plate on the front of my OT 67 car and it's perfectly legal. Did I mention my property taxes here are $400 bucks ?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  14. rattlesnakedaddy

rattlesnakedaddy

My family's just south of Nashville, although my wife and I have been up here for going on 12 years now. As we roll into the winter months, I start missing the South. I miss the simpler process. Sometimes I wish I could just register my vehicles down there and not worry about all the BS inspection and registration issues up here.

15. bgaro

bgaro

just got it taken care of this morning, over in epping. re-registered my "antique" plate at the town, stickered 'em up. then went over to the DMV with reg. and all 4 plates, they give you the paper work, done. running NH '30 plates front and back, u gotta keep your "antique" plates in your vehicle. '61 is the cut off..........and the waiver is free. hopefully the fuzz is as cooperative:)

16. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Wow, I'm surprised the state actually does this for free! They always seem to have their hands in your wallet.

17. bgaro

bgaro

i just got the word from the top of the DMV food chain, you CAN run your old plates front and back. originally only on the front, but it's been changed.

18. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

My buddy in Exeter runs front and rear '51 NH tags on his F-1. But he carries the one page printout of the law. The local cops don't have a clue about this. He got stopped in Newfields and whipped out the law printout and handed it over with license and registration. The cop read it twice, looked at Dick and grinned and says "I never heard of this". But no hassle, waves to Dick now. Sort of like trying to get your average run of the mill NH inspection station to give you an April inspection sticker fro your street rod plates irregardless of your birthday. Some of them will never get it, others ask me if my A has "regular plates" which it does as they won't inspect street rod plates.

19. 54 caddy,
    they can afford to do it for free. didn't your gov say they had a money surplus

20. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Great info on the YOM plates. When I made the inquiry the DMV folks did't know. The courier and the pickup might get YOM plates. It is interesting that the inspection station didn't want to do a Street Rod registered car. The guy I deal with said "That's a nice short list. Bring it in."

21. bgaro

bgaro

well, that didn't take long before the blue lights showed up behind me. officer friendly told me that he knows the law, and i cannot run a YOM plate on the rear of my car, checked me out and sent me on my way. i would recommend printing the RSA and having that with you also. the waiver still says front only, on the bottom. the RSA clearly states front and back is OK.

Attached Files:

22. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Great info! Hadn't ever heard of the YOM front and rear- glad to learn about that... Kinda surprised they don't want one of the antique plates displayed somewheres..

Wonder what the deal is with YOM and Street Rod plates? I assume that'd be a no-go...

As for the Street Rod certification mentioned above- you do not need to have it certified at a Salvage Station. Inspection Stations can also give you a certification (you just have to know the right one, with the right forms).

23. I assume that NH issued 2 plates in 1941 since Bgaro has 2 1930 plates. Anyone know for sure?

24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I bought this pair 10yrs ago, matching set. Can't use them here of course.
    35 plates-.jpg

25. If only those were 1941!!!

26. Mr. Breeze

Mr. Breeze

Also good to know in NH, Chapter 261 of Certificates of Title and Registrations of Vehicles, Number Plates does not specify that YOM plates have to be NH plates. Therefore I was able acquire the certificate to display my 1930 Cal
    plates

[​IMG]

27. That is very cool!!!

28. Anyone know if Florida required 1 or 2 license plates in 1941?? They only require 1 today,.

29. cfmvw

cfmvw

A bit of a twist on the front license plate: in Maine we are required to run plates front and rear. On my '60 VW, I run a front European plate (long, narrow style) that I ordered from a repro place (in Florida, if I remember right...been a long time), made with my regular plate number. Never been questioned about it, although being registered as an Antique Auto probably helps.

I also looked into getting a YOM plate reproduced for it several years back; the DMV claimed that they didn't care what color the plate was as long as the plate number was legally registered. I haven't pursued this, but if I did, I'd definitely get it in writing and keep a copy in the glove box.

30. I thought I read in the NH you would be required to run 2 plates, if 2 plates were issued for the YOM, otherwise you could run 1 plate. But I don't find that in the reg that I found... I thought it would be a sneaky way to run only 1 plate... Find a state that only had 1 issued plate in 1941...

HB1434 (2012)
    Relative to display of antique motor vehicle plates.

Length: 313 words.

Revisions of this bill in our system:

House Senate
    Public hearing: 2012-01-10 13:45:00 LOB 203 2012-03-29 00:00:00
    Executive session: 2012-02-21 10:30:00 (unscheduled)
    Floor vote: 2012-03-07 00:00:00 2012-04-18 00:00:00
    RSA 261:89-a, I to read as follows:

I. The director may permit the owner of an antique motor vehicle or motorcycle, as defined in RSA 259:4, or trailer, as defined in paragraph II of this section, to use a registration plate which was issued in the same year that the antique motor vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer was manufactured, provided the motor vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer is registered as an antique motor vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer under this chapter, and the number of the antique plate is recorded with the director.Registration plates issued in the same year that the antique motor vehicle was manufactured may be affixed to both the front and rear of the antique motor vehicle, to either the front or rear of the antique motorcycle, and to the rear of the antique trailer for any such vehicle with a year of manufacture of 1960 or earlier if the registration plate matching the registration certificate is carried within the antique motor vehicle. Any antique motor vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer bearing a registration plate with the year of manufacture shall also carry, within it, a valid antique motor vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer registration certificate and a permit issued under this section. [The registration plate matching the registration certificate shall be affixed to the rear of the antique motor vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer. The registration plate which was issued in the same year that the antique motor vehicle was manufactured shall be affixed to the front of the antique motor vehicle, to either the front or rear of the antique motorcycle, and to the rear of the antique trailer, provided it is not placed in a location where the registration plate is normally affixed.]

123:2 Effective Date. This act shall take effect 60 days after its passage.

Approved: June 5, 2012

Effective Date: August 4, 2012