Register now to get rid of these ads!

New guy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by truth, Oct 28, 2003.

1. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

Hey yall,

Just signed up yesterday. I build choppers and bobbers, mostly triumphs. Been into rods for a while, but never had the time or space to work on one. Or the loot. Too wrapped up in motorcycle madness, and didn't want another sickness. But I broke down recently and finally picked up a 50 Chevy Fleetline that I'll be cutting, welding, and doing malicious things to. It's got the original 216 in it, and I'm thinking of swapping out to a 235 or a 350 so I can get a little more power - I plan on driving this fucker everywhere. Weighing the options. Any insight and tips would be appreciated.

Hey Ryan, I think we spoke a year or two ago on the triumph choppers list?

2. Antibilly

Antibilly

Welcome aboard!!!!!!! Id love to see a pick of your ride...My first was a 50 chevy styline!!

3. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

Cool, once I get some flicks I'll post'em...

4. jonizzle

jonizzle

welcome to the HAMB...although i am new too and don't feel like i can give as hardy a welcome as a lot of the others around here. do you have pics of the choppers you've built and your ride? if you do i would love to see them. Take it easy.

5. plan9

plan9

welcome aboard!

6. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

Here's a couple of my bike photo's, I'll get some of the car soon and post them. I'll get better bike flicks, too.

Attached Files:

7. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

Oops, only could get one to post. Anyhow, I'll put more up later when I get home.

8. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome aboard. Your engine choice is gonna reflect just how fast you wanna go... I am putting my smallblock in the 54, but my next car, I think I'll hop the 6 up as much as I can... Just to see what it'll do. But not the 216. Have Fun! -J.

9. Donzie

Donzie

Welcome Truth.
    I too have a '50 Chevy but it's a 2dr sedan styleline. I really dig the Fleetlines though.
    Mine was all stock when I got it. Bought a 235/3 spd for it. Put a '57 Chevy rearend in it. Then I decided to go all out and put in a 350 I had sittin' on a stand. I mated it to a 350 turbo. It's still a work in progress.
    Go to Patrick's, they have a lot of info. I talked with Patrick one day and found out I could have saved myself a lot of grief by just bolting in the 235 to the stock tranny and rearend. It's a cheap way to test the water and see if you're gonna be happy with a 6.
    I'm working on a Yamaha XS650 chopper/bobber. A Triumph was a little out of my budget.
    Post some pics of your car when you can and again, welcome.

10. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy shit! Weren't it you who was trying to sell that bike on Autotrader?

11. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

Jkustom - yep. It's actually a cash issue right now. So I might try to find a cheap 235 or 261 since they can bolt right up. And then later move on to a 350 or something. I know I at least need something to cruise at 65 comfortably. Later I can worry about burning them plastic fast and bi-curious imports.

Donzie - thanks for the tip. I actually just got my Patrick's catalog in today. They seem like good people.
    I might just try to drop in a 235 or 261 and ride it out for a season. How was the 235 in yours? Anyone in the northeast got one for sale?

El Caballo - yep, that bike is actually sold now. It went out to Phoenix, AZ to a guy at teh Motorcycle Mechanics Institute. There's already been some theft attempts on it out there - friggin thieves! I tried posting pictures of some of my other bikes, but they were too big. So when i get home I'll put up more.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

12. Hey there and welcome...

I'm new here also and have a 2dr 51 Chevy Styleline DeLuxe. Mines a 216 with a automatic trans. She's a bit slow... Everyone here is great and you'll find a lot of good ideas and help from these folks.

The bike in the pic is very cool. I'm into old scooters myself, but do get butterflies when I see a nice old brit bike. [​IMG]

Have fun!

Stacey

13. Elrod

Elrod

Hey! Welcome to the HAMB. The Fleetline is truely a bad ass body style.

Now... What motor should you put in it? You should immediately put a SBC 350 in it because that is the only motor that will allow you to drive the car farther than 10 miles at a time. Every other motor is lame for many reasons.

There, I hope I ended (or probably fueled) the "what mill is best for daily driving" debate.

14. jonizzle

jonizzle

thats tight!!!!! [​IMG]

15. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 250 will go in much smoother, seven mains, runs smooooove. Spend your money on suspension bits for those loverly Bahston streets, ya retahd. Pissah....

16. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

Action Girl - so what speeds does your car get up to with the 216... how is it on the highway? Mine is manual transmission, 3 on the column. Thanks, glad you like the bike. I have more up there on my site.

Elrod - I know I should just put a 350 in right away. Especially since that is what I'll probably do in the long run, anyhow. Im just trying to be cheap... haha. What's involved with a 350 swap - new motor, new trans, and I'm assuming new rear end?

jonizzle - thanks!

El Caballo - I see you ah familahh with the way we taulk out heeah! Haha... I live 2 minutes away from the L street tavern from "good will hunting" -- My friend owns a custom shop and was thinking that I might suck it up and throw down for some air rides on the car, so I can slam it low and still bring it up out here in pothole city... and if I have to do a new rear for a 350, might as well do it all at the same time, and forget about riding around in it for now.

I think I just came to a conclusion. Now, I just gotta sell some more bikes to fund this fucker...!

Hey Donzie - your bobber is looking cool, man. I dig your fender/shocks/swingarm setup!

17. Hey there...

I wish I could answer that one.. I just got the car last Monday and I've only driven it twice. The first time was on a two lane country road when I was test driving it. I only had it up to about 40 but did have it floored on a hill and it was evident that she was saying "i think I can i think I can".

The second time I drove it was this past weekend but that was only practicing parking in a parking lot.

I just got my tags last night and my new tires are getting put on tomorrow. My dad drove her home on the highway after we got her and he was doing about 60-65. I can't be sure where she'll top out but what I'm noticing is not much by way of off-the-line pep.. That's what I'm mostly wanting to improve...

You will have a little more pep since you have a manual shift, mine's the stock powerglide automatic.

Stacey

18. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ayuh, some wicked. Born in CT til 18, then ME til 25. Had enough and got out. Still miss Moxie, Humpty Dumpty, Nissen w/Ted Wms., steamers, lakes you can see through, blue spruces, birch trees, kinfolk...

19. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

MOXIE, no shit. I've been on a Moxie hunt since I've been out here. I miss the North End, too. Not to mention the pizza from New Haven, El C should know what I'm talking about.
    Truth, I had the EXTREME displeasure of living in Watertown and working in Boston for about 2 years. Where'd you find that Chevy? I thought the Alter Boys had the only cool cars in Mass. Between the rain, snow, potholes, and Boston's famous parallel parkers, you should send that Chevy out here when you finish it, too. I'll look after it for you!
    Welcome.

20. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

Action girl - those are the numbers that I figured... thanks. Have fun learning and getting used to the new whip! Maybe you could do something with gearing that would give you a little more off-the-line, but it seems like the high end is already suffering, so it might not be worth it...

Why in the hell do you two miss MOXIE!?! haha, maybe because I haven't tried it since I was a kid, but I remember it tasting like assy cough syrup... now I'm going to have to try it again to see what all the hype is about!

Deyomatic - I did some time living out in AZ (Tucson and Flagstaff). Tell you what, you send me some good tortilla's and I'll send you some Moxie and autocrat coffee milk syrup! haha...

I got the car from my friend Steve, who's heading up the Blacktop Butchers MA chapter... a newer club in the area. I think it started in Austin, TX. Anyhow, the body is 95% - just one fender that can be hammered out. A rarity in this land of salt and sand and ice....

But yeah, the Alter Boy's have some kickass cars, no doubt. They just had their Jalopy Jamboree a month back... good times.

21. wes

wes
    from san diego

hey truth, weve chatted on your board before, welcome
    wes

22. Truth,
    Welcome aboard. I'm not a stranger or really really new but that's about as hardy as I can muster at the preset.

Nice Trumpet, is that a Tiger?

Alota people around here have early 50s Chebbys, if your into slice n dice you've come to the right place. Lotsa knowledge to be had.

if it don't make ya dirty it aint yours [​IMG]

23. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

Hey Wes - thanks. Long time no speak...

Porknbeaner - yeah, it's a TR6 - tiger. I'm definitely into slice and dice, and that's precisely why I am here!

24. [ QUOTE ]
    Hey Wes - thanks. Long time no speak...

Porknbeaner - yeah, it's a TR6 - tiger. I'm definitely into slice and dice, and that's precisely why I am here!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my kinda hamber [​IMG]

I had a 500 tiger for awhile in the early 80s, a spare bike (long story). It was an old hippy bike, even had Mr Natural on the side cover.

Had a Norton Atlass in High school, a couple of Beezers after that, and a big inch Bonney. Limeys are alright. [​IMG]

Back to the Chebby, can't wait to get a look at it, but I'd probably loose the 6. Save it for the lakester you're gonna build... oh, guess I shouldn't plan your life. [​IMG]

25. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

The reason I liked Moxie was for "Beverage Security." If you go to the grocery store and buy a 2 liter of Coke and a 2 liter of Moxie, you can rest assured that none of your cheapass scumbag roommates would drink your Moxie while you were gone.
    I always thought it tasted like Gold Bond Powder, if you were to drink it.

26. shoebox72

shoebox72

Welcome to the HAMB. I dig that triumph. I'd put a 235 in the Chevy, you'll like it. A Powerglide rear is a big improvment, too. I have a 51 2dr.ht. with a 61 235, converted to 3 spd. and stock powerglide rear. It loves the hiway. Cruises 65 all day, no sweat. Good luck with your projects.

Hey El C, next time I go to Pepe's for pizza I will think of you!
    [​IMG]
    Billy

Attached Files:

27. anyone who can keep the bolts in a Brit bike and build a Fleetline is OK by me- Welcome.........

28. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

porknbeans - yep, brit bikes got their own class. I love'em. But there's a lot of bikes and cars I dig - if I had money I'd have a jackass fleet.... and I do thank you for planning out my next projects... haha

Deyomatic... that is a really valid point (moxie=food security in a house of scavengers). I think I'll have to try it again and get used to the taste, my roomates always make moves on my drinks...

Shoebox - I dig your 51 man!!!

Choprods - I appreciate the welcome.

Thanks!

29. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

Here's a flick of my personal bike -- I powdercoated the 18" NOS flanders apes, so they are hard to make out in the photo. It's a 67 tr6 - mooneyes oil bag, 6" stretch hardtail, ford model a tailight (not seen in photo), solo seat with a raised spade design (made out of pro gel), etc. I'm building a set of super sky high 75 degree upsweeps right now (complete with exhaust flaps), and gonna repaint the tank - metal flake black with some kinda white scallops.

Attached Files:

30. hightest

hightest

hey truth, welcome. nice bikes, I saw your ink in the horse. bit of a triumph guy myself. actually, seems like everyone here is lately