Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. i do not own any classics yet, but there is a mid 30s Chevrolet with an intact drive train i am looking at purchasing. it doesnt have a body on it other than a hood and front fenders. i was wondering if it were a worthwhile first project?

2. Welcome to the HAMB from Illinois.

That's going to be a fairly ambitious first project. Chevrolet bodies are not available as they were built with a wood sub structure, which didn't age well.

On the other hand, others have started with less.

3. it was a pump truck, i think at least, as it has a pully on the rear axle pinion. i was thinking of making a new body by finding original sheet metal off of a different truck and making a new structure out of steel. but that isnt going to work out it seems.

4. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

If you wanna get in there's lots of good cars around if you hunt. Just today on here (I think that's where I saw it) a beautiful coupe shoebox came up for 8k or best, flathead is seized. Get the flathead right and you could have a damn good car for well under 15k....

5. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Welcome from Indiana. Maybe (a lot) more info might help. Since you are in the Introduction section maybe start there; where are you located, experience (maybe you’ve built a bunch of stuff or have zero experience - that helps us with this kind of post), interests or what kind of iron you like, etc. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. oh yeah, i live in middle of no where Ohio. this will be my first major undertaking on a pre 1965 other than maintaining my 48 ford tractor. I only chose the one I was looking at because of how intact it is, and he would likely sell it complete for maybe 600. yet its been sitting in the same spot since the 50s or 60s. the hard part up here is finding one that still has the frame.

7. the 37 chevy fell through. it was too far gone. though i have found a different project, a 1957 ford fairlane 500 4 door with a three on the tree. its an alabama car with only one owner and it was never exposed to salt. the engine is free and its mostly intact, its a "word of mouth" sale and only me and a couple others know about it. im hoping i'll get it home this summer. i have already messed with it a little bit, this car wants to live.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021