Register now to get rid of these ads!

New guy with an old truck

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Aaron Thetires, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Aaron Thetires

Aaron Thetires

I’ve been reading these forums for years, but it wasn’t until I got selected for a jury that I decided to finally sign up for an account. With a week and a half of 9:30am starts and 2 hour lunches under my belt (and another month to go) I decided is time to get a little more interactive on here.

I hope to share some more photos and updates of my project but for the sake of introductions I’ll give you guys a quick snapshot of my ‘53 Chevy 3100.

This was my first vehicle that I drove in high school. By graduation I had it completely dissembled with the full intention of completing a frame off restoration. I built a rolling stand for the chassis and wire wheeled it down to metal and primered it. And that’s where I stopped... I went to college and all the parts sat in storage. Then I came back home, got a job and got busy. Well now I’m 30, married and have a 2 year old and a 7 month old. Unless I want to wait until my boys are old enough to drive it, I gotta finish this truck soon!

In the last couple months I finally got a rolling chassis together. The frame has been sand blasted and powder coated. The original rear end has been rebuilt with Patrick’s 3.55 gears. Disk brakes on the front, new brake lines/cylinder, aluminum gas tank under the bed, rebuilt steering column and new suspension components.

I’m picking up a 235 this weekend that was rebuilt ~4K miles ago. I’m excited to get it on a stand, inspect and clean it, and hopefully drop it in the frame.

I hope to share my progress and I’m eager for any input or suggestions!

IMG_0596.JPG [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Looks great and welcome

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Welcome to the HAMB. Being a member is better than being a lurker.

Phil

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

hi & welcome. Looking great. Looks like the 2 year old thinks that is HIS truck. Who knows, it just might be that in a few years. Jimmie

5. Aaron Thetires

Aaron Thetires

Thanks for the welcomes guys! After I get the motor, I’ll make a new post with some more history and build progress

6. Nice work on the frame and running gear - keep at it! Got any more pictures of the rest of the truck?

7. Aaron Thetires

Aaron Thetires

I have some photos of the truck from back in the day before I tore it apart. I’ll see if I can find those on my computer. But as of this weekend, I got the motor that’s going between the frame rails. It’s a ‘54 235 with dual Weber carbs and a Saginaw 4 speed. I have a photo of that here.

IMG_1050.JPG

pprather and catdad49 like this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

Great start, great shop. It helps to have a place to work, Welcome!