Register now to get rid of these ads!

New guy needs Hot Rod buying advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greasyman, Dec 22, 2013.

1. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

That's easy! 1985 to 1991 model with long tan legs, large breast, perfect teeth, blue eyes, and dumb as a bag of hammers.;)

2. afaulk

afaulk

You'd better buy something YOU like. If you ask 20 people on this forum, you'll get 15 different answers and will be more confused than before LOL.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nah...it's best to ask and get the benefit of the information given...especially being inexperienced.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  5. mickeyc

mickeyc

The smartest thing your doing is to acknowledge the fact you are not sure what to look for. By all means find and take a person with you who knows hot rods and or modified cars as well as original or semi original
    vehicles. I recently had two friends who bought cars without knowledge, but thought they knew what they were doing. Both were advised to pass on these vehicles and were bitterly disappointed with the vehicles as a result. Many vehicles look good at a casual look over. Often the welding and suspension geometry is downright frightening. A knowledgeable eye is essential in determining these aspects of a vehicle. If you have to pay person a few bucks or buy them lunch or such it may save you considerable money and disappointment. Also put any vehicle you
    consider on a lift to really see what is up.

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, Listen to the advice given here on the HAMB and take your time to educate yourself and get a feel for what you want and $$$ involved. I understand that Calif. has made it tuff on Rodders with registration of out of state Rods and new builds. Make some new friends that have experience with these details or go to a local reputable Rod builder and spend some $$$ for his expertize. My last bit of free advice, It does seem to be a good time to buy, just be patient, and nobody has mentioned, that as long as you buy something, finished up decent, these cars do not depreciate much if any for the 2nd or 3rd owners, Original owner/ builder usually takes the $$$ hit, again My Opinion. John

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  7. Well put good info here! The voice of experience!