Register now to get rid of these ads!

New guy from Scotland

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Chris34, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Chris34

Chris34
    from Scotland

Hi all another new guy here so I thought I'd better introduce myself, I'm Chris. I've been reading The Hamb's boards for ages but have never got round to signing up before now. It's a great resource and a credit to whoever is in charge around these parts. I've learnt so much from browsing this forum already over the years, so it's good to finally become a member and to say hello. I read the forum rules before coming here to post my first post, so I had better not mention that my daily is a '68 Beetle (sorry mods)

I do have an interest in all things hotrod though; I currently have an A (style) roadster that I've had for a few years now. Last year I bought my first project car, an all Henry '34 5 window coupe which I'm hoping to start work on very soon. The plan so far is to run a French Flathead and a T5, but aside from that nothing else is set in stone just yet.

A few pics as follows:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to meeting some like minded people on here.

Cheers!

Kume, OzMerc39, mrquickwhip and 12 others like this.
  2. Welcome to the HAMB from Illinois, USA.
    I really like the polished aluminum (?) roadster. Looks like a fun ride.

OzMerc39, Stogy, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  3. Chris34

Chris34
    from Scotland

Thanks for the welcome pprather. yeah it's an aluminium body that was hand formed by a builder called Al Stevens here in the UK in the early 90's. It is great fun, I do wish we had slightly better weather in Scotland though!

Stogy likes this.
  4. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Welcome from Detroit

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy and Chris34 like this.

5. Larry Goebel

Larry Goebel
    from michigan

Welcome from Detroit as well. Very cool ride !!!

6. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome from Colorado Springs USA
    Very nice project.

Sent from my iPhone
    www.speedoservice.com
    Should I rush your rush job or the rush job I was rushing when you rushed in?

7. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Welcome from The 5 window looks like it’s off to a good start. What part is Scotland are you at? Many guys with cars in your area?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Lil32

Lil32

Welcome from Aussie

Stogy, Chris34 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome from Seattle.
    Magnificent roadster!

Stogy, Chris34, Lil32 and 1 other person like this.
  10. benteight1956

benteight1956

Welcom
    Welcome Chris, from New Zealand

Stogy, Chris34 and Lil32 like this.
  11. Chris34

Chris34
    from Scotland

Hi Fitnessguy, thanks for the welcome. I'm based in the central belt myself and yeah there are a surprising number of guys around these parts and beyond that are into the scene and have some really cool cars, a few of them are also here on The HAMB (I think) most of the bigger shows & events are down South but the UK isn't such a big place so a easily accessible. There are a few local grass roots events over summer also. I share my garage with a couple of friends who are also into hotrods and have some really nice cars. There is an association in the UK called the VHRA for owners of pre '49 vehicles of US manufacture, built in a traditional hotrod style. They have quite a decent sized membership base and put on some quality events by all accounts, but I've not been to any of theirs yet as I only recently signed up as a member myself.

Still lots of enthusiasm for hotrods to be found here in the UK and a reasonably vibrant scene, all be it somewhat under the radar & probably not on the same scale as CA, certainly not the US of course.

Stogy and Fitnessguy like this.
  12. Chris34

Chris34
    from Scotland

Thanks 41 GMC K-18. Is that your plane in your avatar? I'd welcome some polishing tips if so! Seattle is on my bucket list of places to visit, some of my favourite bands came out of Seattle in the 80's/90's I will make my pilgrimage one day!

Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  13. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Chris.
    The aircraft you see as my avatar is a rare Spartan Executive, the aircraft doesn't belong to me. If you go to the antiquated section of the message board, and go to the thread, " since we are talking vintage aviation " and start at page 8 and then keep scrolling through the next pages, you will see some close up photographs that I shot and have posted, that will show you the polished metal skin a lot better. As far as polishing tips, you know the game already, "Green bar " and "Rolite Metal Polish " and a lot of elbow grease and buffing.

Indeed, Seattle is a great place to enjoy a variety of different musical styles, Pearl Jam and Sound Garden, were a couple of my favorites from that time period, as well. I have yet to make the pilgrimage to Scotland myself, my last name is HICKLIN, that name is connected to the MacDonald clan, from what I understand, the HICKLIN name is more prevalent there, than here in the U.S.

You are always welcome here in Seattle.
    Dennis.

14. Welcome to the Hamb Chris, The polished roadster is a knock out and it appears you have a perfect project waiting in the wings. HRP

Stogy, Chris34 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  15. fegsta

fegsta

Hello Chris funny thing I was looking at your roadster on a home made video tape a couple of months ago at the hot rod drags at (Stratford) shaky. My son has the tape and is going to get it converted to dvd. All the best with the new project Tim.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Welcome from your right side :)

Stogy likes this.
  17. great stuff!! Post more pix. Welcome from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia! I spend a bit of time in your neighborhood between 2008 and 2013.......terrific folks! Never saw any hot rods though......lots of bicycles and small modern cars.....very pricey fuel......

18. Chris34

Chris34
    from Scotland

Hi Tim, thanks re the project I may start a build thread as it would force me to make some actual progress! and yes that's quite a coincidence re the roadster. The roadster has been around a bit, that would have been long before my ownership but it would be cool to see that video if you do get it converted and it's something that could be emailed maybe?

Stogy likes this.
  19. fegsta

fegsta

No problem, when it's done I'll pm you and send you a copy. It was surrounded by the Bristol mob.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Chris34

Chris34
    from Scotland

Thanks Tim!

Stogy likes this.
  21. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Stogy likes this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Chris34 could you share some details and shots of this elusive Roadster...I've shared some images and links of it several times over the years and there's even a few threads full of dead pics...so a more detailed set of images and some info about the drivetrain and what Al fabbed in creating this Hotrod would be hugely appreciated...I'm curious what is steel and what is aluminum...

The engine is Riley or Riley equipped...is it a 4 banger...Being UK it may not be the Riley I'm thinking...

Perhaps a Thread on your Roadster would be warranted and by the way congrats on the Coupe...Your stable is expanding...

Hope all is well your way, welcome to this place and we look forward to your revisiting the Hamb to fill us in on all the good stuff...

mrquickwhip and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  23. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Hi Chris, welcome to hamb, love your Al Stevens built roadster and your 34. I used to work in the lift industry and we used baby oil to polish stainless steel in lifts. If you like bands from Seattle, try a band called doomsday outlaw from Sheffield. Go on you tube type in fallback and enjoy.
    Bob in Glasgow

24. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

image.jpeg Thought I would add a pic of an earlier Al Stevens built car. A traditional styled Ford Popular or Anglia as they were known in USA. This car was built at a time when other cars were being jacked up and painted in crazy colours to within an inch of their lives.

25. Chris34

Chris34
    from Scotland

Hey Stogy,

Thanks for the message and sure no problem! Attached are a couple of PDF's (hope they attach ok) of articles about the roadster from back in the day. Both UK publications, Custom Car Sept '96 and Practical Classics April 2002. They may be a bit tricky to view as I just dropped each page of the article into the PDF doc one by one, but there's loads of good info and pictures in them about the build. The engine is a 1500cc four-pot from a Riley RME. It had twin SU carbs fitted by a previous owner and a custom fabricated stainless exhaust. Running gear is also all RME, front brakes are RMA I believe. The body was entirely hand fabricated in aluminium by Al.

Attached Files:

Kume and Stogy like this.
  26. Chris34

Chris34
    from Scotland

Thanks Bob - listening to them now, pretty damn good! Glasgow, your not far from me!

mrquickwhip likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20210915_211819.jpg

0_20210915_211902.jpg

0_20210915_212823.jpg

0_20210915_212416.jpg

0_20210915_212919.jpg

:rolleyes:...Expanded PDF Article 1 as sent by Chris...
    2 coming up...;)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Expanded PDF Article 2 as sent by Chris... thanks for sharing these articles @Chris34, I know many will enjoy these articles...;)

20210915_222313.jpg

0_20210915_222342.jpg

0_20210915_222408.jpg

0_20210915_222459.jpg

0_20210915_222618.jpg

0_20210915_222549.jpg

Kume, OzMerc39, Outback and 3 others like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chris34 likes this.
  30. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I've followed a worm hole to here, what an amazing lil car! We have a 33 Riley 9 at work at the moment, lovely to a Riley engine in a hot rod, especially one so unique!

Stogy likes this.