Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Guy From Eugene 1936 Dodge LC Pickup

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by '36 Glasstruck, Aug 9, 2014.

1. '36 Glasstruck

'36 Glasstruck
    from Eugene, OR

Hi Guys,

My name is Pat and I'm from a small town just west of Eugene, OR. Im a 31 year old steel fabricatior who builds material recovery systems for a living. I've recently acquired a vehicle I've had my eyes on for 4 years. In those 4 years I've been reading this great forum, but only recently had a real reason to join. It seems mid 30s Dodge Pickups are popular on here because most of the reasearch I've done has led me here.

Two days ago I bought a 1936 Dodge LC half ton. I'm the 3rd owner. The truck is in good shape but has been sitting since 1974. The good news is that it was driven and parked in 1974. My plans are to leave the body exactly how it currently is except for washing it and getting the Oregon moss off of it. The truck has a one-of-a-kind paint job. It was the flagship truck for an auto glass company in Portland until 1970. It was a daily driver from the time it was bought new until it was parked in 1974.

I want to get all the mechanical working again and drive it just how it is. I'm a pretty handy guy who can work on stuff but my knowledge on flatheads, 6 volt systems, or points ignition is very limited. I'm going to need all the help I can get. Im really going to need help on the specific steps I need to take in order to get a vehicle back on the road that has been sitting for a long period of time.

Its good to finally be a member here! I love this forum and its philosophy and I look forward to learning every bit of info I can on 1930s Dodge trucks and old hot rods in general.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

Hi from a native Eugenean - still have moss in my ears.

Have fun with your truck. Not sure if it's your problem or mine, but I couldn't view any of your pics.

3. welcome, get the upload figured out, would love to see it.

4. '36 Glasstruck

'36 Glasstruck
    from Eugene, OR

5. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

Geez, what a nice truck - really straight and complete! I've always loved '36-'37 Dodge
    PU fenders.

6. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Welcome from Montana. That thing is super neat. You're doing something cool. I'd love an old logo-ed work truck. Engine, lowering, done. Are you going to keep the rack?

7. '36 Glasstruck

'36 Glasstruck
    from Eugene, OR

Thanks for the welcome. The rack is gone. It was pretty junky. You're spot on though. Engine, mechanical, wash off the neglect, lower an inch or two. Im gona get it as nice looking as possible without body work...for now. Restore it later down the road. Keep it dry and covered in the meantime and drive it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  8. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Are you sure its a 36 and not a 37?
    Any pic of the dash?

9. '36 Glasstruck

'36 Glasstruck
    from Eugene, OR

20140812_172418.jpg

Its a '36. The dual wipers threw me off when I first saw it but the windshield is flat on top and not curved like a '37.

10. Welcome from the metro area.
    I think I remember seeing the truck parked on the street in front of their shop a time or two back in the mid-'60s!
    (Used to frequent a machine shop a few blocks from them; HGS Grinding Svc. - did the long block on my Olds..)
    What a time warp! Preserve that shop lettering if you can; it's the Real Deal..

11. Clean it up, make it work and drive it! You are lucky to own that piece of local history...

12. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Awesome truck! It's even got the artillery rims. Very nice find!

13. '36 Glasstruck

'36 Glasstruck
    from Eugene, OR

Thanks alot for the kind words! I am going to preserve the paint. It was tricky washing it and not having the lettering come off the back of the cab. More like dabbing than scrubbing. I've recently got the motor turning freely and pumping oil by turning the fan pully. I also took the carb apart and soaked it. Im waiting on $ to buy a new battery and try to get it to start and run. Soon I will move this thread to the main board when I start doing more to the truck. Im most concerned about going through the brakes. From what Ive gathered, setting them up right and working properly is very tricky.

14. You've got your priorities in order for a good start out of the gate. Get some fresh oil in that motor, top and bottom, if you haven't already, even for just turning it over, to avoid breaking rings, etc. (Lots of good threads pertaining to bringing long dormant engines back to life.)
    Both early mechanical and hydraulic brake systems need to be set up properly, AND adjusted frequently to give decent stopping performance. If you are up to the task, and drive with a light foot, they will suffice..
    (As I recall, Specialty had a few neat b & w pics in their showroom of the truck and bldg. These were used in their advertising, both in the paper and yellow pages. Would be great if you could obtain one from the family.)
    That little truck has a lot of soul. Thankfully, you are not making a street rod out of it!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  15. 30dodge54

30dodge54

Looks like a 37!
    Brakes are real touchy to set, you can gets all parts for motor. From northwestern , or Roberts, brakes parts from Roberts,
    I have a 35 second series KC same cab as yours,
    Let cab and running gear the same , only modified the electrical to 12!
    You can leave it 6 volt positive ground , if need be tractor store has 8 volt batteries helping starting
    And generator can be step up,

Look up DodgeBrothers club on Web.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. A late welcome from Central Oregon. Nice truck.

17. welcome to the board ...

18. 30dodge54

30dodge54

Setting brakes using a brake micrometer ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411338748.489869.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411338780.827273.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411338814.075699.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411338839.895264.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411338865.323246.jpg

This was 1930 , same way on 36, can be done without tool, just a lot easier with tool and better wear on shoes,

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. dodgedave68

dodgedave68
    from dallas

HI - Could you send or post a ppic of the rear bumper and brackets???? I think I have a bumper (no brackets, and would like to ensure bumper right and get brackets

20. '36 Glasstruck

'36 Glasstruck
    from Eugene, OR

Yes, I'll try to do it soon. After a few years out of the hobby, I've recently started working on it more seriously. I have a thread over at p15d24